Board logo

hand brake cable securing / iva acceptable
mrwibble - 7/6/11 at 06:21 PM

hi. just a quicky, cant find anything in the iva manual about hand brake cable fixings and how they need to be held to the chassis. i am thinking to p clip the cable to some chassis rails in these places:

wonder if anyone has experience with iva on this topic and if anything has come up in the past.

car is fury with sierra drums / cable.

ta, Ed.

austin man - 7/6/11 at 06:33 PM

P clips did it for me SVA though cant see there being a problem for IVA

RichN - 7/6/11 at 06:55 PM

I used cable-ties, but don't have them tied too tight. I failed IVA on the handbrake, the inspector suggested removing the cable-ties and it then passed the handbrake test, basically the outer of the cable has to have some movement too.

After cutting the cable-ties, I then failed because the handbrake cable wasn't secured !

Anyhow the inspector told me to use a cable tie in a figure of 8 with a small piece of rubber tube between the chassis and cable.

mrwibble - 7/6/11 at 07:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichN
I used cable-ties, but don't have them tied too tight. I failed IVA on the handbrake, the inspector suggested removing the cable-ties and it then passed the handbrake test, basically the outer of the cable has to have some movement too.

After cutting the cable-ties, I then failed because the handbrake cable wasn't secured !

Anyhow the inspector told me to use a cable tie in a figure of 8 with a small piece of rubber tube between the chassis and cable.

thanks thats useful

vyperstrype - 7/6/11 at 09:44 PM

I think i used Stainless 'P' Clips. The ones that have the rubber that go around the inner part of the clip. Just Rivet them to the Chassis Rails, and that should do the trick!!

Cheers Eric.