Board logo

Sierra front brakes & 13" rims ???
pigiron - 16/12/12 at 09:19 PM

Good evening gents, not a Lowcost chassis but there seems to be a good amount of 'genuine' knowlege here hence my request for information.

I am after advice regarding fitting 13" rims over 'standard' Sierra or possibly other Ford brakes.

The car I am building is a very light RWD Ford KA autocross car, consequently front brakes do very little work so big humungus brakes are totaly overkill and a waste of sparse funds that would be better spent elsewhere.

At the front the car is fitted with Sierra coil-over struts, the rear is a custom DeDion set up with caliper lugs at Ford 90mm centres, I dont need a hand brake so clearance should not be an issue and wondered if I could use a front caliper from the Ford range?

I seem to remember that some early low powered Sierras were fitted with 13" wheels?

Could I perhaps use calipers and discs from other Ford models?

I would prefer to keep things simple and dont want to get involved with making addapters, just bolt-on if poss.

Any advice most welcome.

loggyboy - 16/12/12 at 09:32 PM

My donor has 13 inch steelies. Was a F reg 1.8 CVH.
If your using non standard 13s, it will likely be the offset that causes issues catching on calipers.

[Edited on 16-12-12 by loggyboy]

Dusty - 16/12/12 at 10:54 PM

I run 13" minilite replicas on sierra hubs with the sierra 2.0L standard vented discs. No probs.

snapper - 17/12/12 at 06:39 AM

The only known issue is the handbrake springs on the rear caliper, there are smaller springs available or I believe some Golf rear calipers will fit
The standard Sierra ofset is 38mm so most rims wil be that or less
13" rims fit over even the Vented front discs

pigiron - 17/12/12 at 09:13 AM

Thanks to all for the information, just the job.

Anyone have some 2.0 brakes for sale? ..... see my thread in Wanted.

gaz_gaz - 13/2/13 at 08:40 PM

Bump this up and can someone confirm that Sierra xr4x4 front brakes fit behind 13" wheels.
Just found a nice set of caterham wheels that I really want.

[Edited on 13/2/13 by gaz_gaz]