Board logo

Sierra Cosworth front hubs???? very confused...
Piooly - 16/1/14 at 06:30 PM

I am building a haynes roadster and bought some Sierra cosworth 4x4 front hubs. Its just occured to me that because there is no shaft going through the bearing, what is actually holding the wheel bearing and wheel nuts part to the hub???? absolutely nothing. As its not front wheel drive, what are my options? Can I fit a nut and bolt through the center or do I have to buy a joint with spline shaft to go through with the hub nut?

Cheers...

fesycresy - 16/1/14 at 06:39 PM

Don't mince about, get a cheap pair of Sierra ones.

You may even get a free pair with a wanted add on here.

Ben_Copeland - 16/1/14 at 06:46 PM

The only way you could do it is with a joint, but that's all extra weight and messing about.

Get a pair of standard ones and be done with it.

Minicooper - 16/1/14 at 07:02 PM

Also the top and bottom joints are different and will not fit standard haynes stuff

Piooly - 16/1/14 at 07:16 PM

Ah. Sugar!!!!!! I was so pleased when I nabbed them on ebay. I am sure this wont be the last wrong purchase. Cheers everyone.

Andy S - 16/1/14 at 10:06 PM

The Ginetta G32 uses Fiesta front uprights and instead of the drive shaft it just has a couple of bits of steel to close the oil seals and a 1/2" UNF bolt to hold the assembly together.

mcerd1 - 17/1/14 at 08:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
Also the top and bottom joints are different and will not fit standard haynes stuff

^^ what he said

you can make 4x4 hubs work like the fiesta hubs above (I've seen folk use a cut down front driveshaft to solve the problem)
but off the shelf wishbones etc are made to fit standard sierra uprights - not 4x4 or cossie

cosworth 2wd and granada uprights are also similar but different enough that they also won't bolt on without similar modifications

so you really want the standard (non-cossie) 2wd sierra ones, these ones come in 2 flavours - with or without ABS - but you can use either without any issues

britishtrident - 17/1/14 at 11:37 AM

As above just get standard Sierra bits it really isn't worth the Hassel.