Board logo

throttle cable size
joolsmi16 - 30/11/05 at 11:53 PM

Hi, being looking for cable to use for the throttle any idea of size? the listing is Wire No./Strands and Dia.

Thanks

Aboardman - 1/12/05 at 12:05 AM

when my cable broke on my car, used bike brake cable no problems with it.

Sven - 1/12/05 at 06:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joolsmi16
Hi, being looking for cable to use for the throttle any idea of size? the listing is Wire No./Strands and Dia.

Thanks

I like these mountain bike brake cables:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11115-050_AVDFJ8-3-Parts-49-Cables/Avid-Flak-Jacket-Cable-Set.htm

Easy to figger out how to attach them to just about any throttle linkage and they're not too stiff if you have to turn them around something ...

donut - 1/12/05 at 07:53 AM

So if i used a bike cable i presume a rear brake cable is required?

Aboardman - 1/12/05 at 08:02 AM

does not matter, depends on the length of cable you require, if you get some solder nipples (some older bike shops have them) you may get 2 cables out of a rear cable.

Kissy - 1/12/05 at 09:03 AM

or solderless nipples - available from any good car shop. You can also use the brass bit out of choc-block electrical connectors.
If you need a really long wire go for a tandem rear gear wire, or brake. Note, gear wires are generally a bit thinner and more flexible.

Humbug - 1/12/05 at 12:37 PM

I used a bike brake cable with a double lecky connector (choc block type), i.e. cable through both parts, both screwed tight and a dab of superglue for good measure!

so far, so good!

Peteff - 1/12/05 at 12:57 PM

Derailleur cable is good for replacements and is more flexible than brake usually.

chrisf - 1/12/05 at 02:26 PM

I used Avid Full Metal Jacket bicycle brake cables. It came as a kit and I had more than enough left over. Two people can easily share one kit.

It has a stainless braid over the the inner wire and is quite flexible. I think these are the best bike cables money can buy.

--HTH, Chris

Mark Allanson - 1/12/05 at 05:04 PM

I am probably missing something here, but why not use the cable from the donor, of a new replacement, a sierra one is only £8.50 patern

Aboardman - 1/12/05 at 06:17 PM

"I am probably missing something here, but why not use the cable from the donor, of a new replacement, a sierra one is only £8.50 patern "

because this a locost site and bike cables only cost about £3

Mark Allanson - 1/12/05 at 10:57 PM

All this fuss fro a fiver

tadltd - 2/12/05 at 05:49 PM

Hardware shop - if you're insistent on saving pennies. Next to the chain link for fencing...

25-50p a metre.