Board logo

Dashboard bottom edging
killieaitken - 9/6/12 at 11:22 AM

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas forthe best way to get the 19 degree endge on the bottom of the dashboard. I saw some 28mm foam pipe insulation out of B and Q and was wondering if fitted correctly and neatly this would do the job?

BenB - 9/6/12 at 11:33 AM

I cut a quarter segment out of the aforementioned pipe and packed it out on the back of the dash board so the bottom of the dash merged into the pipe.

stevegough - 9/6/12 at 01:23 PM

You need to be careful here. The regulation is 19mm Radius. That is 38mm Diameter. I used 40mm diameter plastic kitchen / bath drainpipe.
I packed a shaped piece of wood tightly inside so that screws got some puchase when fastening it on. A few more pics in my archive under 'interior'.

Jaybeee - 9/6/12 at 10:10 PM

I purchased a router bit and made the lower edge a lot thicker as my dash is made of ply which I have shaped and then covered it in ABS Carbon effect plastic

quote:
Originally posted by killieaitken
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas forthe best way to get the 19 degree endge on the bottom of the dashboard. I saw some 28mm foam pipe insulation out of B and Q and was wondering if fitted correctly and neatly this would do the job?

SteveWallace - 10/6/12 at 02:01 PM

As per Steve Gough, I am using 40mm drainage pipe from B&Q. I have recessed the edge of the dashboard and then split the pipe so that I can get a flush fit. I glued wooden battons to the back of the dash so that I could put screws through the pipe, which I also glued. The white that you can see is filler just to make sure that I don't have any big holes so that when I glue the final vinyl sheet on top of it all I end up with a smooth finish. The whole lot will be sanded and I also need to drill holes for the instruments.

I will post a pic of the finised dash in due course, but that will be a while as I need to buy the instruments first.