Board logo

Spring compressor
efiniste - 7/6/11 at 07:54 PM

Any recommendations on which type to get? There's a couple at Machine Mart for £30 and £45 but I've never used one before so could do with a couple of pointers.
It's for changing the springs on my RX-7, maybe a couple of times until I'm happy with the spring rates. It certainly won't be used everyday.

Thanks,

Steve

mookaloid - 7/6/11 at 08:00 PM

I like this kind myself PRO QUALITY HEAVY DUTY COIL SPRING COMPRESSOR SET - NEW | eBay UK

pekwah1 - 7/6/11 at 08:02 PM

what he said, used the same type with good results!

mad-butcher - 7/6/11 at 08:28 PM

I use the same type myself but a lot more expensive. You'll Probably be OK with the Ebay ones, But at that price I'd be very carefull using them.

tony

tomgregory2000 - 7/6/11 at 08:29 PM

^^^^
Used same sort of thing and they work and i have all my fingers

mookaloid - 7/6/11 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
I use the same type myself but a lot more expensive. You'll Probably be OK with the Ebay ones, But at that price I'd be very carefull using them.

tony

the thing with those - although they are cheap they are very meaty - much better than the single prong ones which look very feeble like these which I wouldn't be happy with Car Coil Spring Compressor tool for uprated shocks pair | eBay UK

ashg - 7/6/11 at 09:13 PM

i have got these laser ones from halfords. not that cheap but they are spot on

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&xhr=t&q=laser+spring+compressor&cp=10&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1920&bih=1061& amp;um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13832698595246966772&sa=X&ei=1ZPuTaLlLsWp8QOd1dnKBw&sqi=2&ved=0CFUQ8wIwBA

LoMoss - 7/6/11 at 09:37 PM

A spring compressor failed on me and put me in the hospital. It slid round the pug 405 string, it fired one through a plaster board wall the other bounced off a stone wall and hit me in the face. smashed my eyebrow, nose and top lip. lukily it was length ways. An end on hit would have gone through my eye and killed me. Would recommend putting a ratchet strap around too, or take it to a mates garage and give him the money instead.

HTH

Hall

Chippy - 7/6/11 at 10:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I like this kind myself PRO QUALITY HEAVY DUTY COIL SPRING COMPRESSOR SET - NEW | eBay UK

Second these, good quality piece of kit, for a very reasonable price. Cheers Ray

mookaloid - 7/6/11 at 11:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LoMoss
A spring compressor failed on me and put me in the hospital. It slid round the pug 405 string, it fired one through a plaster board wall the other bounced off a stone wall and hit me in the face. smashed my eyebrow, nose and top lip. lukily it was length ways. An end on hit would have gone through my eye and killed me. Would recommend putting a ratchet strap around too, or take it to a mates garage and give him the money instead.

HTH

Hall

ouch - sounds nasty. what style of compressor was it that failed?

britishtrident - 8/6/11 at 05:48 AM

They don't slide round the spring if you position them correctly and tighten them up evenly

Sykes-Pickavant/Draper type

[Edited on 8/6/11 by britishtrident]

efiniste - 8/6/11 at 08:30 AM

Thanks for the pointers and warnings fellas. I'll order a set of the (first) eBay ones and give them a go.

Steve

LoMoss - 8/6/11 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
They don't slide round the spring if you position them correctly and tighten them up evenly

Sykes-Pickavant/Draper type

^^^^^^^^^^ Like those! Had used them before, never again. Get the big hooky ones.