Board logo

Best way to cut clear Perspex ?
Jon Ison - 18/2/14 at 05:40 PM

I don't own a jigsaw, slitting disc too much, will it burn and discolour it?

theprisioner - 18/2/14 at 05:57 PM

I am told these are the type to use by a man from Brasscraft example:ebay item: 131098266297

TallGuySmallBike - 18/2/14 at 06:28 PM

A hammer.

MikeRJ - 18/2/14 at 07:02 PM

For sheets up to about 3-4mm you can cut straight lines by deeply scoring the sheet with a stanely knife and snapping it across the edge of your workbench.

Circular and jigsaws can be used, but both tend to melt the edge which can partially weld itself back together. A hand saw designed for wood works perfectly well, you just need to clamp the sheet down firmly close to the cut line and use a shallow angle on the saw (this is they way my old woodwork teacher taught us). If you make a short cut from the opposite end and side first then you won't get a chip taken out of the corner as you complete the cut.

File/sand the edge to remove the saw marks and then run the flame from a blowlamp across it to get a perfect glossy edge.

[Edited on 18/2/14 by MikeRJ]

waggy - 18/2/14 at 08:32 PM

What mike said.
Almost to the letter what I was going to say.

Don't go too mad with the flame it only takes a quick lick.

austin man - 18/2/14 at 09:30 PM

if using a jigsaw etc I use a compressor to blow away swarf and cool the blade this prevents the welding back together

Jon Ison - 18/2/14 at 10:10 PM

Looks like I need to invest in a jigsaw ?

adithorp - 18/2/14 at 10:49 PM

I've always done it with a jig saw. Recently invested in a battery one and it's a lot easier to use than the old mains one dragging the cable along.

unijacko67 - 18/2/14 at 11:29 PM

244D bosch blades, slow speed, firm grip, press on.

whatever type/make of jigsaw you get try for bosch blades as they are the best.

I used plunge saw for all the straight bits for the sliders and finished all the corners with jigsaw. As mentioned you do need to get the speed/pressure right or it welds back up behind you.

Peteff - 18/2/14 at 11:47 PM

The jigsaw I use runs so slow you can count the strokes, my old one used to melt the edges back together with a fine tooth metal blade.

Matt21 - 17/3/14 at 08:45 AM

i couldnt survive without my jig saw! gets lots of use!

also inves tin some G clamps if you dont have already, then clamp a straight edge to the perspex to run the jigsaw along for your perfect straight cut (if you're a spacker like me and cant cut straight then its great )

Jon Ison - 17/3/14 at 09:07 AM

update, I cut it with a very slim slitting disc in my angry grinder, clean as a whistle no melting job done.

trextr7monkey - 17/3/14 at 11:41 AM

Bandsaw, no problem

coyoteboy - 30/3/14 at 07:47 AM

Router works too.

Proby - 30/3/14 at 09:21 AM

I watched someone use an industrial guillotine the other day thats usually used for aluminum sheet. I awaited the crack and was shocked at how well it worked cutting the perspex sheet.

40inches - 30/3/14 at 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Proby
I watched someone use an industrial guillotine the other day thats usually used for aluminum sheet. I awaited the crack and was shocked at how well it worked cutting the perspex sheet.

Are you sure it wasn't Polycarbonate?