Board logo

any good?
theconrodkid - 31/1/06 at 11:58 AM

philips amd sempron 2800 64 bit,80 gig h/d 256 ram,15" tft monitor,56k modem for £348
answers is a simple yes/no format please as i am a numpty

Ketchup - 31/1/06 at 12:36 PM

sounds expensive,

i could get you a sempron 3000 512ddr ram, 160gb hdd, 17" tft ,dvd writer, modem, 10/100 lan card, and a new lexmark printer with a years warranty , brand new for £365 + vat

CommanderAce - 31/1/06 at 12:57 PM

Plus the fact that Semperons are for the weak, an Althlon 64 would make your life alot easier in the future

Peteff - 31/1/06 at 01:39 PM

Have a look on ebuyer John. You can buy a system then add a 17" monitor or use your present one till you see one you like. 15" is a bit small these days, size does matter.

Plus the fact that Semperons are for the weak, is a bit damning if you're only doing a bit of surfing and playing solitaire I have an old P150 pro that will do the job

[Edited on 31/1/06 by Peteff]

theconrodkid - 31/1/06 at 09:46 PM

basicly my hard drive is too small and i need a new compo,nowt too flashy or expensive,whats a p150 pete

[Edited on 31/1/06 by theconrodkid]

Ronin - 31/1/06 at 10:03 PM

Simple no, too expensive.

Try Dabs, Ebuyer, Tesco etc

theconrodkid - 31/1/06 at 10:23 PM

twas in tesco i spotted it,ive had a surf around and the spec/price looks ok to a mere numpty like me

Surrey Dave - 2/2/06 at 05:03 PM

A base unit with AMD64 3200 ,512 ram,80gb hard drive ,and DVD writer can be put together for about £300,

davidcarr - 2/2/06 at 05:16 PM

I May be stating the obvious, but why don't you get a new hard drive. Cheaper

Can get 80GB for £30..

theconrodkid - 2/2/06 at 06:27 PM

Davidcar,i asked about the hard drive replacement bit but was told it was a job for someone who knows what they are doing,as i dont know what i,m doing i left it at that,unfortunatley i dont know anyone local that could do it either
slurry dave,you going to pox hill on sun?

Surrey Dave - 2/2/06 at 09:19 PM

Its possible, but we can't change your Hard Drive in the car park!!..............................did that sound a bit dodgy?

Oh no matron!!!!

theconrodkid - 2/2/06 at 10:37 PM

but i could pick your brains?

Peteff - 3/2/06 at 10:38 AM

4 screws and 2 cable connections to change a hard drive John, that's the easy bit though. If you've got a legit copy of windows you should be alright. Make sure you get the right type of drive, most likely IDE in your case and find a tutorial on google like this . Get in there and do it, it's the only way to learn.

Surrey Dave - 3/2/06 at 01:11 PM

I use something called Filecopy ,which makes a replica of the files on your existing drive to the new drive or new drives boot partition, saves a load of faffing around finding drivers and stuff.

If it all went to plan we could probably do it in an hour or two (famous last words!!)

[Edited on 3/2/06 by Surrey Dave]

davidcarr - 3/2/06 at 01:16 PM

Why not just leave the old HD in there with the OS on it to boot off and add another 40-80GB one as a new drive for the space. I suspect you will have space to put it (unless you have 3 CD/DVD drives). That way you don't need to reinstall the OS, and you just need to open the case, plop it in (tricky bit), change a couple of settings and boot it back up.

Really its not a hard job. You'll know someone able to do it if you ask around. Otherwise, it wouldn't cost much to get a computer shop to fit it.

[you'd have to have them both plugged in at some point anyway to do the file copy to the new one. Plus you get a whole 80GB free rather than 80GB minus what you have now ]

If you really wanted to 'image' the old drive I'd use Norton Ghost to do the which fits on floppy, I.e. I could email it to you. Drive Image is good though, just costs

However.... if really you'd like a new computer and can afford it, go for that option. otherwise save the money.

[Edited on 3/2/06 by davidcarr]

[Edited on 3/2/06 by davidcarr]

davidcarr - 3/2/06 at 03:37 PM

see http://www.tigerdirect.com/static/html/hdinstall.html

for installing a hard drive. Pretty easy

theconrodkid - 3/2/06 at 04:42 PM

i have a DELL with a small case,no room for another drive inside,i was told external ones wouldnt work,i have no probs swaping the drives,its just the data transfer that wories me,if i see you on sunday dave ill have words with you about it

theconrodkid - 5/2/06 at 09:11 PM

dave,ta for the disc,ive found my "c" is ntfs if that means anything,is that any diffo to "!ide"?
£30 for an 80 gig on e buyer

Surrey Dave - 5/2/06 at 11:53 PM

ntfs is the the way the hard disk is formatted ,it can be ntfs or Fat32? in XP I believe .

IDE refers to the type of hard drive connection, I'm guessing yours would most likely be IDE.