Board logo

"SYN flood " attack
dave1888 - 13/5/06 at 09:03 PM

I keep getting a "SYN flood" attack on my computer every 5 mins or so. McAfee is blocking them. Can someone tell me what they are please.

planetester - 13/5/06 at 09:13 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYN_flood

bilbo - 13/5/06 at 09:15 PM

See Here:
http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/TCP/SYN_flood/default.htm

Why a private PC would be the subject of a attack like this I don't know??

Are you using a broadband router or modem? If so, power it down and back on again (better re-boot your PC as well). That should force a new IP address from your intenet provider and hopefully put you out of the firing line.

dave1888 - 13/5/06 at 09:16 PM

How do i make it stop. Its starting to get on me tits.

MikeR - 13/5/06 at 09:22 PM

Power everything down and leave it over night - if you just reboot 9 times out of 10 you'll get the same IP back.

I'd guess someone has found your machine and is trying to hack it. They'll want to take it over to then send out lots of naughty spam email or crash it to prove how great, fantastic, brillient, amazing they are.

Best way to stop it, enable the firewall on your router & get a decent firewall on your pc.

(or a shotgun and a lifelong never ending mission to kill the lot of the blighters! i'd reconmend the firewall, bit easier and more likely to be effective)

bilbo - 13/5/06 at 09:24 PM

quote:

(or a shotgun and a lifelong never ending mission to kill the lot of the blighters! i'd reconmend the firewall, bit easier and more likely to be effective)

But not nearly as much fun

dave1888 - 13/5/06 at 09:31 PM

I am getting a wee bit fed up with my pc at the mo its been playing up for a while now. the internet is very slow even though it shows 2.2 meg connection. It started slowing down since i put NcAfee on it. I have also just had some updates from Microsoft saying i have a counterfiet copy of xp pro on my computer.i wonder how that got there Maybe time for an upgrade.

Peteff - 13/5/06 at 11:06 PM

Try a Linux download if you don't want to fork out for Windows.

zetec7 - 14/5/06 at 02:13 AM

For anti virus, I've gone with AVG. It's free (download), has frequent free updates, and doesn't slow down or crash my computer like McAfee or Norton did! And it seems to fly below the radar as far as hackers and virus builders are concerned. Had it now for 2 years, and no problems since I got it...

scotlad - 14/5/06 at 08:28 AM

re the dodgy copy of windows- just do a rollback to before the update was downloaded and make sure you dont install it when the smart update says- worked for me

MikeR - 14/5/06 at 09:19 AM

don't bother with going to the web site and letting m/s update you. Just let the PC update itself in the background.

MS want to catch the bad copies of XP but don't want open systems sending lots of remote attacks around so .....

if you deliberately update they'll catch you, if you let the system do it for you, they'll patch you nice aren't they

the_fbi - 14/5/06 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
I have also just had some updates from Microsoft saying i have a counterfiet copy of xp pro on my computer.

Clicky

chockymonster - 15/5/06 at 03:47 AM

For the last couple of days I've had massive amounts of SYN floods logged from this IP address

Not really alot ot worry about if you have a decent firewall, not sure how software stuff would cope though! Alot of the home use software stuff is great but makes an awful lot of noise. As to why a home user would be attacked, it's probably infected/zombied pcs being used to scan random ip addresses.

I've noticed a major slowdown in net surfing lately, websites are slow to respond whilst download speeds are as quick as ever.