Board logo

Orange, I think I'll paint la bala orange...
sgraber - 29/3/07 at 02:42 PM

Well. I finally decided on a color. And then I went for it.

What do you think?

ecosse - 29/3/07 at 02:49 PM

Looks bloody good to me did you paint it yourself?

Cheers

Alex

Hammerhead - 29/3/07 at 02:58 PM

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scotty - 29/3/07 at 03:13 PM

mmmm
NICE!

Hellfire - 29/3/07 at 03:16 PM

I need to change my underwear now... brilliant choice!!

Steve

iank - 29/3/07 at 03:17 PM

Is that orange peel?

Joke

UncleFista - 29/3/07 at 03:21 PM

Looks a bit like the "asbo orange" on Focus RS's, very nice

mookaloid - 29/3/07 at 03:46 PM

Very nice

robertst - 29/3/07 at 03:54 PM

if you put some black details here and there (like lines, or stripes) it will look like the dogs nuts!

sgraber - 29/3/07 at 03:55 PM

It's called Alert Orange.

Interesting story on how I chose the color. Well, at least "I" think it's interesting! LOL

I was in a business meeting a few weeks back. We exchanged business cards as is customary. One card I noticed that stood out from the others was from a creative director of a nationally recognized marketing agency. I returned to my office and placed those the b-cards back with all the others I collect in my desk drawer. They are held together in a large pack by a rubber band, never to be looked at again. But for some reason, I kept that creative directors' card out on my desk. In the sea of sameness that is my desk, that orange business card stands out like a beacon! I look at it all the time. I could care less about who's card it is, it's just a great color! And that's how I decided on Alert Orange.

Ok, it wasn't that interesting....

sgraber - 29/3/07 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by robertst
if you put some black details here and there (like lines, or stripes) it will look like the dogs nuts!

Oh yes, you are absolutely correct!

It has a satin black rollbar, satin black Team Dynamics rims, black seats, black side mirrors and a satin black windshield surround. As well as black anodized perforated aluminum grilles for the intake and exhaust vents.

Dick Bear - 29/3/07 at 04:11 PM

What do I think?

I think that looks sooooooooooooooo grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Dick Bear

jollygreengiant - 29/3/07 at 04:13 PM

If it rocks for you then that is the ONLY opinion that really matters.

Personally, it rocks for me too.

Tralfaz - 29/3/07 at 04:24 PM

Looks great Steve, but personally,I would have painted it Grabber Orange.

Like this...

The 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Mustang was first shown at the New York Auto Show last year. It promised 370 hp and a beefed up suspension that would emulate the performance of the 1970 championship-winning Boss 302 that Parnelli Jones helped make famous back in the golden era of Trans-Am racing. With retro touches like the Grabber Orange paint, black stripes, rear wing, jutting front lip, chrome surrounds on the grille and rear lights, rear window louvers, Minilite-like wheels, and the Shaker hood, it instantly became our favorite Mustang.

nick205 - 29/3/07 at 04:34 PM

It just gets better and better Steve

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do you have any plans to market the car in kit form?

DarrenW - 29/3/07 at 04:42 PM

Its a shame you couldnt get a good finish......

WOW - how good does that look!!!!

sgraber - 29/3/07 at 05:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

Yeah, I'm sorry I couldn't make take better photos. I was quivering like a little schoolgirl when I took them. So they're a little blurry. DOH!

Nick, yes I am working out the details for offering the car as a kit. Yes, even though it's against all the odds... Or so I am told. I am not put off by people that say things can't or shouldn't be done. I already have regrets for things that I wish I would have done differently in the past, but I won't bloody be saying that about this effort when I am old and senile and on my deathbed.

ecosse: I hired a pro. I have tried before, so now I live within my limitations...

trafalz: grabber orange... gooood one! I love the stripe on that 'stang. Now you've got me thinking that a silver/grey one up the middle would be just tits. See below...

iank: Good one!

To everyone else: Thanks gentlemen! We're getting close to finishing now. woohoooo.

Gaz 1977 - 29/3/07 at 05:28 PM

just great,

Marlon - 29/3/07 at 05:36 PM

mmmmmmmm there is a big pool of drool by me now!
That is one sweet looking motor.
john

Tralfaz - 29/3/07 at 05:41 PM

Steve,

Definitely agree on the stripe. Considered mentioning it actually. Silver or a lighter "Titanium" shade would be great. I think it would take the edge off a strictly Black/Orange car.

Regards,

T

ELO - 29/3/07 at 06:11 PM

Now that does look good!

I'm now considering an orange finish to my locost (got to finish it first!)

Personally I prefer a thin black strip rather than grey one, but as said above it's what you like - so just ignore me...

ed

Tralfaz - 29/3/07 at 06:14 PM

Marlon,

I was having a look at the Band sites you list in your Signature when I happened upon this photo.

Is this what happens to a girl when she is exposed to the color orange?

If so, Steve has a winner..

T

sgraber - 29/3/07 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ELO
Now that does look good!

I'm now considering an orange finish to my locost (got to finish it first!)

Personally I prefer a thin black strip rather than grey one, but as said above it's what you like - so just ignore me...

ed

I'm really torn. Maybe a 12" matte black center stripe with 3" titanium stripes on either side? arghh. decisions, decisions.

Hugh Paterson - 29/3/07 at 06:57 PM

Jesus Steve you got a brightness control knob for that on a sunny day BLOODY Loud paint job Dogs testicals as they say old boy!

sgraber - 29/3/07 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Paterson
Jesus Steve you got a brightness control knob for that on a sunny day BLOODY Loud paint job Dogs testicals as they say old boy!

LOL Hugh! Those photos were taken at night, inside, with the lights turned off and no flash on the camera. I expect that any daytime viewing will need to be done through a welders helmet.

PaulBuz - 29/3/07 at 07:55 PM

Very impressive!
I think it looks the biz in orange with that silver stripe

cloudy - 29/3/07 at 08:15 PM

Excellent choice there!

James

TangoMan - 29/3/07 at 08:25 PM

Great colour choice.

I went with Orange to be different but it is becoming fairly common.

That looks like it has lots of mica in it. The trick will be to keep it that shiny once the paint dies down in use.

A great looking car just got better.

Fred W B - 30/3/07 at 08:21 AM

Excellent Steve

Now get that car put together so we can see the full effect!

Cheers

Fred W B

DarrenW - 30/3/07 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

Yeah, I'm sorry I couldn't make take better photos. I was quivering like a little schoolgirl when I took them. So they're a little blurry. DOH!

English humour - apologies!! I reckon the colour and the pictures are awesome. You have achieved a first class finish there. That seems to be your signature now.

Stripes would look good but they have to be so right. For now i reckon id go with the full orange and detail the car up as you suggest. Maybe your second car could experiment with stripes, or maybe just experiment with vinyl before you commit them to paint.

I was thinking about an orange respray on my car. I didnt want the std orange. I really liked the look of the Range Rover Storm concept car colour. Oranges that are a shade darker and have a good mica mix and change in different lights get my vote.

What engine are you planning?

Alan B - 30/3/07 at 01:34 PM

How did I miss this thread?

Steve, mate, that looks REALLY nice..

I've been working on rear (oo..er) so the front uprights are delayed a bit.

Alan

sgraber - 30/3/07 at 03:36 PM

Alan, thanks! Haven't heard from you in a while. Glad to know you are still making progress. Whenever you're ready. I would like to take a set of them to the show at the end of April.

I should point out that my chosen orange color is a solid orange with no mica. Two stage. I did this with full knowledge that this car will be on-track quite a bit and I wanted a color that I could touch up. With the mica colors you usually end up respraying a large part of one side to blend the paint, because it's really hard to match the original consistency of mica content. But with a solid color you can quickly respray just past the affected area and block it in.

Here's another photo of the side pods being test fitted.

kreb - 30/3/07 at 10:57 PM

Isn't that "arrest me orange"? No stealth there!

Looks extremely nice. Kudos. I also saw your ad in the kit car magazine. Looks like you're really making a go of it. I wish you the best. Given your location, you may ultimately want to go south of the border for production. I don't like sending work away from the US, but kit cars are such a cutthroat business, you'll need every edge you can get. I have a second generation friend with a succesful kit car co in Socal who goes the Mexican way, and he's able to clear something like $6k per car, which is unbelievable until you see his lifestyle and figure how much it'd take to support...

Keep it up, and don't become a bigshot without staying in touch!

sgraber - 30/3/07 at 11:25 PM

Why go south of the border when they are all moving up to Phoenix?