Board logo

Foam air filters
piddy - 1/5/07 at 05:29 PM

Hello All.
When buying a foam air filter like ITG or Pipercross. There is an inner measurement and an overall measurement. Is there a set distance the inner should be away from the mouth of the air ram? I seem to remember reading somewhere that there had to be a 25mm gap but can't find the write up again.

bob - 1/5/07 at 05:36 PM

I read minimum of 25mm as well so went for the big one, bit of a shame though as i now have to chop a whole in the bonnet.

piddy - 1/5/07 at 05:54 PM

Yes thats what I'm trying to avoid. At the present I have 108mm long trumpets with gauze on them. I'm planning to fit 65mm trumpets and a foam filter but if the inner size has to be 25mm more it will mean that the outer size will protrude through the bonnet.
This diagram seems to tell a different story. Rescued attachment File0003.jpg
Rescued attachment File0003.jpg

rjs - 1/5/07 at 05:57 PM

piddy
i was told at least 25mm with my pipercross & iam sure its also what it said on the instructions

rjs - 1/5/07 at 06:07 PM

so mine looks like this Rescued attachment PICT0026.JPG
Rescued attachment PICT0026.JPG

bob - 1/5/07 at 06:23 PM

I've got the ramair on the blade carbs and its going to stick through the bonnet a bit, well actually a lot.

Would have been even more i i didnt have to move the eng over a few mm to stop the oil filter and steering shaft getting together Rescued attachment zetec eng 001.jpg
Rescued attachment zetec eng 001.jpg

givemethebighammer - 1/5/07 at 09:07 PM

25mm, so mine looks like this (Blackbird carbs on Zetec)

[Edited on 1/5/07 by givemethebighammer] Rescued attachment airfilter.JPG
Rescued attachment airfilter.JPG