Board logo

May have just cacked meself
Badger_McLetcher - 7/3/11 at 03:43 PM

Just went to move my focus off our very steep drive, put my foot on the brake and there's nothing there Managed to stop myself with the handbrake but talk about a panic moment! Checked the fluid reservoir and it's empty- filled it and pumped to see if I could find a leak but can't seem to.
The oddest thing is I drove it on saturday and everything was fine- brake fluid was only just topped up too!

rallyingden - 7/3/11 at 04:08 PM

Have you been upsetting the neighbours

RD

Peteff - 7/3/11 at 04:18 PM

If it needed topping up there was obviously something going wrong. Losing that much you'd expect to see some fluid somewhere, usually running down the inside of a rear tyre.

Agriv8 - 7/3/11 at 04:23 PM

has the wife / girlfreind taken any new life policies on you recently ?!?.

Regards

Agriv8

stevegough - 7/3/11 at 04:41 PM

Focus should have a brake fluid low level warning - didn't it work? Next question - when did you last check the level...come to think of it...when DID I last check MINE?

Badger_McLetcher - 7/3/11 at 05:15 PM

That's the odd thing, can't seem to find the leak anywhere.
Low level warning light didn't come on, and I checked it about 2 weeks or so ago!
No new life insurance policies but I did weld up a mates car on friday- maybe it's the neighbour's way of telling me they don't like the noise!

[Edited on 7/3/11 by Badger_McLetcher]

omega 24 v6 - 7/3/11 at 05:17 PM

Carpet soaking?? Or fluid leaking back through the master cyl seal and into the servo ( where you'd not see it?)

[Edited on 7/3/11 by omega 24 v6]

Badger_McLetcher - 7/3/11 at 05:47 PM

Just had another look and i reckon it might be the right rear wheel cylinder- it's gonna have to wait till tomorrow now anyways. What a PITA

mcerd1 - 7/3/11 at 06:24 PM

I had a 'moment' something like that in my focus a wee while back, start down a steep hill went for the brakes and my foot hit the floor - luckly 3 pumps of the pedal later I had brakes again - turns out one of my pads had disintegated

bi22le - 7/3/11 at 07:09 PM

I drive a Focus.

I really dont want to now!!

Fatgadget - 7/3/11 at 07:53 PM

Thought dual circuit brakes was for exactly that sort of scenario?

Big_Al - 7/3/11 at 08:05 PM

Have a look at the clutch as well, as the reservoir is for this and the brakes.

40inches - 7/3/11 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fatgadget
Thought dual circuit brakes was for exactly that sort of scenario?

Me too

mcerd1 - 7/3/11 at 09:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Big_Al
Have a look at the clutch as well, as the reservoir is for this and the brakes.

that explains why I couldn't find the clutch reservoir then

Badger_McLetcher - 7/3/11 at 09:19 PM

Didn't know that it was linked to the clutch- that is working fine! I was wondering how it did it as well with a dual circuit system... unless of course it is the master cylinder gone

mcerd1 - 7/3/11 at 09:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
... unless of course it is the master cylinder gone

I'm starting to wonder about mine too

omega 24 v6 - 11/3/11 at 12:04 AM

Did you find the problem???
I hate when a thread ends without a solution being given

Ninehigh - 12/3/11 at 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
Just had another look and i reckon it might be the right rear wheel cylinder- it's gonna have to wait till tomorrow now anyways. What a PITA

Missus's car had this, last time we used it it was soft and when we came back later there was nothing. Turned out a cylinder in the rear brakes had burst