Board logo

locost all weather track car
mad gaz - 10/11/08 at 09:27 PM

fed up with the rain and bad weather over the last couple of years not getting enough track days in the indy .i have followed the forums trackday leaders andy d and paul fisher and got a tin top.so when i go to bed the night before a trackday i will not have to pray for good weather Rescued attachment clio 172 project 031.jpg
Rescued attachment clio 172 project 031.jpg

mad gaz - 10/11/08 at 09:37 PM

we got the car a couple of weeks ago its a 2002 clio 172 cup its a cat d with asmall bump to the rear. new hatch and bumper will sort it out .the boot floor was sort with the brute force of paul fisher ,for the people that have met paul will understand.the rest of the was carried out with the help of another locoster mike smith thanks lads Rescued attachment clio 172 project 027.jpg
Rescued attachment clio 172 project 027.jpg

mad gaz - 10/11/08 at 09:41 PM

bucket seats coilovers a set of 888 a cage custom fitted next week at MK SPORTSCARS and were ready for some cheap winter trackdays

[Edited on 10/11/08 by mad gaz]

[Edited on 10/11/08 by mad gaz]

mad gaz - 10/11/08 at 09:43 PM

sorry forgot pic Rescued attachment clio 172 project 026.jpg
Rescued attachment clio 172 project 026.jpg

mad gaz - 10/11/08 at 09:57 PM

new hatch fitted today a bargin at £50 and all alloy Rescued attachment clio 172 project 022.jpg
Rescued attachment clio 172 project 022.jpg

mad gaz - 10/11/08 at 10:33 PM

sorry i forgot the reason for this post anyone got any clues to how locost this way of getting on to the track is do some research and you will not believe your eyes .how cheap a modern very quick and capable hot hatch can be Rescued attachment clio 172 project 013.jpg
Rescued attachment clio 172 project 013.jpg

Jubal - 10/11/08 at 11:03 PM

Don't be so secretive eh? Tell us what you paid and the price of the parts you're fitting etc. I'm interested and I bet others are too.

Omni - 10/11/08 at 11:09 PM

PRICE PRICE PRICE PRICE.... PLEASE

O

mad gaz - 11/11/08 at 12:01 AM

less than 3k makes our 7s look very highcost .this includes car seats and belt ,r888 custom cage coil overs repair parts exhaust .full service including cambelt .also strutt braces and stronger engine mounts.the is one owner full service history car done 50k Rescued attachment clio 172 project 014.jpg
Rescued attachment clio 172 project 014.jpg

nick205 - 11/11/08 at 12:05 AM

That is value motoring by any standards and has to be more pleasant int eh cold and wet than a 7 type motor.

I've been tempted to fix up my Indy and buy something more sensible for a while now and that's very tempting.

speedyxjs - 11/11/08 at 07:56 AM

Bargain
Good buy

Omni - 11/11/08 at 08:06 AM

Well done Gaz! Bargain. Where did you find it?????

O

[Edited on 11/11/08 by Omni]

whitestu - 11/11/08 at 08:39 AM

Its a route I keep thinking about - a lot more useful than a 7 most of the time.

Stu

mad gaz - 11/11/08 at 09:36 AM

this tin top thing all started with a cup a tea one very wet afternoon at paul fishers .we were looking at a cheap way of getting on track when its raining.first car we came up is a 205 gti ,paul went and had a look at some but they were quite rusty. then came the picture message paul had got himself a track ready clio 172 sport with all the right mods from ebay. then me and my son chris started our search on ebay .now we have best of both .if any locosters are interested the saga starts this sunday 16 nov at cadwell park bring on the rain. hopefully when paul reads this he will post some pictures of his clio

Omni - 11/11/08 at 09:52 AM

So what did you pay just for the Clio? I am very tempted to do this too

O

PAUL FISHER - 11/11/08 at 09:55 AM

Love those seats Gaz,tip me over the edge those,yes these cars are such great value for money now that the used car market has hit a all time low,good examples of these 172 clio's can be picked up for £1500,even with a few mods for the track mine stands me at less than £2500,I will take a few pictures and post them up
anyway the sun's just come out here,so just going out to finish fitting my cage now,ready for cadwell on Sunday

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

mad gaz - 11/11/08 at 09:56 AM

£1750

mad gaz - 11/11/08 at 10:00 AM

hey paul should u be outside getting the car ready for sunday not in the warm on the internet

Jubal - 11/11/08 at 10:02 AM

I had a track prepped 205 with an Mi16 engine and I imagine the Clio would feel much the same, but hopefully less rattly! Thinking back, it was great for what it was but I got bored pretty quickly. Too easy to drive. Be nice to have the choice of cars for when it rains though!

PAUL FISHER - 11/11/08 at 10:03 AM

Just edited my post Gaz

DarrenW - 11/11/08 at 10:05 AM

Is that a road legal trackday car or track only? Cant remember how the Cats work (im sure CatD means uneconomical repair by insurance company but allowed to be returned to road - is that right?)

Cheap way to have some good fun. And if road legal a decent little run around too. Well done.

PAUL FISHER - 11/11/08 at 10:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jubal
I had a track prepped 205 with an Mi16 engine and I imagine the Clio would feel much the same, but hopefully less rattly! Thinking back, it was great for what it was but I got bored pretty quickly. Too easy to drive. Be nice to have the choice of cars for when it rains though!

I think thats our idea at the end of the day Derek,we have been so fed up in the past watching weather reports praying for a dry trackday,lets face it,as much as we love our seven's,they are no fun in the cold and rain,it would be great to have a choice of motor to take,I am going to reserve judgement until Ive taken it to Cadwell,but at the end of the day its going to be a bit of trackday fun,with a heater,I must be getting old

PAUL FISHER - 11/11/08 at 10:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Is that a road legal trackday car or track only? Cant remember how the Cats work (im sure CatD means uneconomical repair by insurance company but allowed to be returned to road - is that right?)

Cheap way to have some good fun. And if road legal a decent little run around too. Well done.

Yes Darren,cat D can return to road after quick a inspection,so can be put back on the road.

mad gaz - 11/11/08 at 10:17 AM

thats right darran it just means that after its repaired it has got to be checked at a goverment test station . but reality is you would not want to take it on the road .its very loud ,v very hard we have taken out the air bags just incase we take to grass and tyres .getting in past the cage , not very cool for a 44 year man to be driveing on the road maybe if i were 21

PAUL FISHER - 11/11/08 at 10:24 AM

Now I must go out and finish my cage

DarrenW - 11/11/08 at 10:45 AM

interesting site.

http://www.hbc.co.uk/index.html

There is a cheap Seat in Teesside at the mo.

Omni - 11/11/08 at 10:45 AM

Lots of toys here for the 172's, even turbo kits!!!!

O

loggyboy - 11/11/08 at 12:11 PM

Locost Tintops FTW!

Stange to see cars that seem quite new appearing for a few K. Much cheaper than that and they will start to make my Nova look expensive! lol

Andy D - 11/11/08 at 01:18 PM

quote:

fed up with the rain and bad weather over the last couple of years not getting enough track days in the indy .i have followed the forums trackday leaders andy d and paul fisher and got a tin top.so when i go to bed the night before a trackday i will not have to pray for good weather

To be fair, I didn't choose the Honda as an alternative trackday toy, it was Son, Pete's choice of weapon for his introdution to racing. But, it has to be said, it does make a lot of sense in our climate!

I dont think your planning on ditching the heater, but I reckon it's probably worth keeping for windscreen de-misting purposes. After all the car will be mostly used for cold wet winter trackdays.
Pete's Honda has no heater, just some little 12v hairdryer thing to act as a screen demister. It's not really that effective and partially contributed to his little bump at Croft last week. (He forgot to take the rain X too!)
Pete's bump, comedy version..

I hope there'll be some video footage of the battle of the Clios at Cadwell..

DarrenW - 11/11/08 at 01:31 PM

That new vid is absolutely brilliant. Pete is wasted driving cars.

PAUL FISHER - 11/11/08 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
quote:

fed up with the rain and bad weather over the last couple of years not getting enough track days in the indy .i have followed the forums trackday leaders andy d and paul fisher and got a tin top.so when i go to bed the night before a trackday i will not have to pray for good weather

To be fair, I didn't choose the Honda as an alternative trackday toy, it was Son, Pete's choice of weapon for his introdution to racing. But, it has to be said, it does make a lot of sense in our climate!

I dont think your planning on ditching the heater, but I reckon it's probably worth keeping for windscreen de-misting purposes. After all the car will be mostly used for cold wet winter trackdays.
Pete's Honda has no heater, just some little 12v hairdryer thing to act as a screen demister. It's not really that effective and partially contributed to his little bump at Croft last week. (He forgot to take the rain X too!)
Pete's bump, comedy version..

I hope there'll be some video footage of the battle of the Clios at Cadwell..

Great comedy version video,its good he can laugh about it,nothing he could do about it anyway.
Yes certainly leaving heater in mine,although mine has had the dash removed,and fitted with a lightwieght fibreglass one,but the fan and heater is there,Ive removed all the aircon though,thought that was one luxury too manyI will get myself some of that rainx though keep hearing good reports on that stuff.

mad gaz - 11/11/08 at 06:44 PM

damage to car when we pick it up Rescued attachment clio 172 project 039.jpg
Rescued attachment clio 172 project 039.jpg

Simon - 11/11/08 at 08:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad gaz
less than 3k makes our 7s look very highcost .

Speak for yourself

Couldn't you have managed to make a couple of roofs instead of going to all the trouble of buying new cars

ATB

Simon

Wadders - 11/11/08 at 08:41 PM

Pair of Jessies, whats wrong with a cagoule and mittens.

Al.

Originally posted by Simon

quote:
Originally posted by mad gaz
less than 3k makes our 7s look very highcost .

Speak for yourself

Couldn't you have managed to make a couple of roofs instead of going to all the trouble of buying new cars

ATB

Simon

Guinness - 12/11/08 at 08:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Pete is wasted driving cars.

No wonder he crashes then! No booze or spliffs before a trackday!

Funny video though!

Mike

PAUL FISHER - 13/11/08 at 05:50 PM

Here's my clio nearly ready for the track now. Rescued attachment locost clio.jpg
Rescued attachment locost clio.jpg

PAUL FISHER - 13/11/08 at 05:53 PM

And the engine, Rescued attachment engine after.jpg
Rescued attachment engine after.jpg

mr henderson - 13/11/08 at 06:04 PM

Any idea how much weight has been lost? If I was doing an exercise like this (and I would love too) I would be inclined to do a before and after weighbridge visit (or maybe weigh each piece of unecessary stuff that came out.

I'd liek to do it on a Jaguar, especailly an XJ coupe, then do the body mods and make a replica of the TWR cars, or maybe start with an XJS

John

Andy D - 13/11/08 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Here's my clio nearly ready for the track now.

Looking good Paul, and the forecast for Cadwell on Sunday is wet wet wet!

PAUL FISHER - 13/11/08 at 08:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
Any idea how much weight has been lost? If I was doing an exercise like this (and I would love too) I would be inclined to do a before and after weighbridge visit (or maybe weigh each piece of unecessary stuff that came out.

I'd liek to do it on a Jaguar, especailly an XJ coupe, then do the body mods and make a replica of the TWR cars, or maybe start with an XJS

John

Not sure how much weight has been lost,would have been a good idea to weigh it before and after,but I bought the car as a track car project,the guy had removed all the interior,the dash,airbags,aircon etc already,its now got a fibreglass dash,this model I think weighs just under 1000kgs standard,Ive fitted a lightweight T45 Safety Devices cage that weighs about 35kgs,thats put a bit more weight in,so I estimate the car will be around 900kgs. now

PAUL FISHER - 13/11/08 at 09:04 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Here's my clio nearly ready for the track now.

Looking good Paul, and the forecast for Cadwell on Sunday is wet wet wet!

Thanks Andy,still keeping my fingers crossed for a dry one,I would still like a dry day even if I have got a roof

DarrenW - 14/11/08 at 10:12 AM

Id be tempted to change the show plates to read Clio 1.2 or something like that. Maybe Clio 16V at most.

The blue one looked hardly damaged. good find.

Is it possible to lighten them further by removing unwanted steel work (like from inside of doors) and fitting plastic side windows - or does the hassle and cost for small gains make it a bit of a waste (for me id just go on a diet!! and save money in the process)

I know a guy who built a Porsche 911 for rally cross. Space framed the car, removed lots of panels and made moulds from them then fitted replaceable lightweight items. Loads of work but what a car.

PAUL FISHER - 14/11/08 at 11:53 AM

You can get a full set of plastic windows Darren,to save a few more kgs,they are about £300 a set,apart from that I don't think theres much more to save,but I am 6' 3" and 18 stone,so I think it will be cheaper to get back down to the gym for the next few months,also I don't want to get away from a bit of track day fun,I picked up the low millage 2 owner,year 2000 clio off ebay,its only done 51000 miles with FSH,it had already had new spax adjustable suspension fitted to it,full stainless exhaust,tarox brakes,strut braces front and rear,it even had a lightweight fibreglass dash,and a sparco steering wheel,I then picked up a few bargains all off ebay there's loads of cheap gear on there for these cars,a safety devices cage,race seats,willans harnesses,induction kit,carbon bonnet,and a set of R888's from tyretraders,total spend to date just under £2500.I no its not going to be the fastest thing on the track,but should still be a bit of fun

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER] Rescued attachment clio dash 2.jpg
Rescued attachment clio dash 2.jpg

Omni - 14/11/08 at 11:58 AM

Paul, why does your car have a periscope on the dash?

Bloody nice car BTW

O

PAUL FISHER - 14/11/08 at 12:06 PM

I must be expecting realy wet track days,its just a cool air blower in place of the dash air vents,It will blow lots of cool air on me on a hot day,or it can be turned to blow extra warm air onto the screen for extra demisting

Hellfire - 14/11/08 at 12:43 PM

That Clio looks great Paul but then I'd expect nothing less from you. Have you done any engine mods yet (other than the induction kit)? Considering fitting a turbo?

Phil

[Edited on 14-11-08 by Hellfire]

Andy D - 14/11/08 at 01:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
That Clio looks great Paul but then I'd expect nothing less from you. Have you done any engine mods yet (other than the induction kit)? Considering fitting a turbo?

Phil

..or maybe a bike engine?

I reckon, as it's a winter trackday toy, maybe best to stick to moderate power? Then the super turbo gsx1900 (with nos) can come out to play in the summer.

PAUL FISHER - 14/11/08 at 01:14 PM

quote:

Phil
Thanks Phil,the engine is standard,and its keeping that way,that way if she blows its £300 to £400 for a second hand motor swap,keeping the costs down so if and when I get fed up with it I can sell it on,and its not cost me anything,thats the plan anyway.

PAUL FISHER - 14/11/08 at 01:29 PM

quote:
quote:

Phil

..or maybe a bike engine?

I reckon, as it's a winter trackday toy, maybe best to stick to moderate power? Then the super turbo gsx1900 (with nos) can come out to play in the summer.

Yes,I am sure I am still going to build another kit,just can't make my mind up which engine to fit,but it will be a track only car if I do,as I don't appear to be getting the same pleasure driving on the road any more but this is a the top of my list the moment

Andy D - 15/11/08 at 07:09 PM

Hope the Clios are ready for action.

We made a start on this today,

Got the new wing on easy enough, spare h/lights we got with the car are a very close match, but just not quite.. Have had a go at straightening out the front bumper, it looks straight enough, but will it like buggery all line up. Needs a bit more fettling, or maybe try and find another. Bit rare by all accounts, Civic vtec, not the same as a CRX front end apparently.

Have a good day at Cadwell boys, hope you dont end up as above! Noticed the weather is looking to be a bit better.

We're off karting tomorrow at Teeside again.

PAUL FISHER - 15/11/08 at 10:34 PM

There only one Clio going Cadwell this time Andy,finished mine just in time,just going to be taking it easy though,your picture has just slowed me down a few seconds a lap already ,weathers looking ok,so fingers crossed everthing goes well

PAUL FISHER - 16/11/08 at 09:20 PM

What a great day,weather was perfect,Clio performed very well,I was most impressed with its performance,still needs a bit of work on setup,getting a bit of understeer,and it could do with a LSD,but apart from that never missed a beat all day,with three different drivers giving it beans all day
Best lap I managed was a 1m 51s so pleased with that for the 1st outing,just looking now for the next trackday,I did a bit of video I will post up,but picture quality is a bit poor. Big thanks to MadGaz,Chris & Mike off locostbuilders for there help with the car today.

Picture below Gaz driving my car during the Day lifting a front wheel

PAUL FISHER - 16/11/08 at 09:23 PM

And me going over the famous mountain.

Andy D - 16/11/08 at 09:36 PM

Glad it went well for you Paul, car looks good! Twas a good day at Teeside too! (see my lonely karting post.)

Look forward to a bit of vid.

PAUL FISHER - 17/11/08 at 07:08 PM

Just uploaded some video,the bright sun was effecting the videobut its a bit better if you click on "watch in high quality".

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UlMgk3aSVrw

Omni - 17/11/08 at 07:28 PM

Bl**dy hell !!!! It's a quick little bugger isn't it

Jubal - 17/11/08 at 08:21 PM

That looks great and pretty well sorted. I've never seen a fast Exige at a track day. I live in hope!

Andy D - 18/11/08 at 09:00 AM

Does go well doesn't it! What did you shout at the Exige driver, it sounded a bit like "Come on old chap, do play the game!"

PAUL FISHER - 18/11/08 at 11:21 AM

Yes I shouted something like that Andy,like Derek says above,its a rare sight to see someone driving one to anywhere near its full potential,he should have wipe the floor with me in that round Cadwell,everyone has the same driver briefing,its the only way trackdays can work safely,but its the usual exige mentality,he is driving one of the fastest track cars available so no ones going to pass him in a Clio