Board logo

Kit car as your only car?.
Westy1994 - 4/9/12 at 08:51 PM

This is something that has been on the cards for some years, and this years insurance renewal time has now brought this to a head.

I am going to get rid / use as donor parts the tintop and this would leave me with the 7 only. I don't really do many miles these days ( even with the tintop) and reckon I could cope OK with just the 7.

The various threads on weather gear I have made over the last few months have been due to my proposal.

So how many of you have the kitcar as your ONLY car?

What if any ( other than the obvious load carrying capabilty) issues have you come across and is it something you would recommend?.

Cheers.

Rich.

perksy - 4/9/12 at 09:02 PM

Used to hate driving my first Westfield with the hood and sidescreens fitted it was like sitting in a coffin and it used to steam up the windscreen and it was a pita to get in and out of aswell
The other thing i'd be concerned about is driving a light RWD car in wintry conditions (Ice etc)

Best of luck, but i could never of managed with a Westy as my only car

JoelP - 4/9/12 at 09:16 PM

Well on the one hand, you'd get good use out of the westy. However i could imagine many miserable days when the weather is adverse, either ice or rain. Its also undoubtedly not as safe as a tintop, which increases you odds of croaking it, esp if you are out in shitty weather.

No harm in trying though! You can always get a tintop at wintertime and sell it in spring.

Do you have any NCB that you would loose by ditching your main insurance policy?

Westy1994 - 4/9/12 at 09:37 PM

As I say, I don't do many miles these days, out of the 900 miles I did in the tintop last year, 300 of them where to collect parts for the 7, windscreen etc etc.....

I had not considered an effect towards the No Claims Bonus, does this not carry over till I have need to use it again, I have just checked the 7 insurance and they have not taken the 9 years NCD into account, so I am thinking then that this wont matter on the 7 from now on. Seems a shame to waste those 9 years ( its actually 11, but they seem to stop counting at 9?) but what else could I do.

I have almost finished my doors, but not driven it yet, so I can't comment on the 'coffin' aspect - never had any weather gear on the car in the 4 years I have had it - only had a windscreen for this year...

any other comments folks?

chrisxr2 - 4/9/12 at 09:42 PM

Ncd only stays valid for two years if unused maybe actually 18 months but it does expire.

swanny - 4/9/12 at 10:00 PM

i know one guy who used his seven as his only car. but it wouldnt be for me. like other comments it was never great fun for me in a seven with all the weather gear on.

in the gtm club there are quite a few who have the gtm as their only car, but thats a lot easier to live with all year round

paul

Chippy - 4/9/12 at 10:29 PM

I used this as my sole means of transport for nearly four years, really enjoyed it. Cheers Ray

[img] Melos
Melos
[/img]

ceebmoj - 4/9/12 at 10:38 PM

There is a good thread on piston heads by a guy called cock wobble 7 who has used a 7 as his only car for the last two years. some good accounts of both the good and the bad

http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=850532&mid=17636

I find a good coat and set of waterproof overalls and you are good for all weather.

parkyparkinson - 4/9/12 at 10:55 PM

I drove mine for a year as an everyday car and would never do it again!!
Terrifying in the winter not to mention bloody cold!

Winter Kit
Winter Kit

Winter Kit 2
Winter Kit 2

Westy1994 - 4/9/12 at 10:59 PM

Thanks ceebmoj, only up to page 2 so far but nice to see someone documenting it all, one of the posts mentions about in Winter when you wish you heated seats.... Well I have that covered, the Volvo that I have has such items, all they are are a small padded quilt affair with an element in it, no reason why you can't fit those to the 7 seats, luckly I have padded seats anyway, so this is an easy mod to do. I have a lot of wet weather gear from my biking days in the loft, I am sure the old Belstaff will scrub up nicely, lol..

Ninehigh - 4/9/12 at 11:18 PM

Can't see it being much different to having a motorbike as your only transport, plus you won't fall off the 7 in the wet!

Westy1994 - 4/9/12 at 11:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Can't see it being much different to having a motorbike as your only transport, plus you won't fall off the 7 in the wet!

Exactly as I see it as well. Before I passed the car test I had bikes for years and was my only transport, back then the cold and rain was just a part of being 'winter', 30 years on I do prefer to stay a bit drier hence the weather gear fitment of late. But I stress I don't do many miles, given the choice if it were snowing I would not be driving anyway regardless of the car type, its not my own abilities that worry me but that of the seemingly blind drivers of todays generation, it can't just be me, but how many cars have pulled out on you when in your 7?, a few I would think, which is why a bike for only transport is certainly a no no for me these days.

adithorp - 5/9/12 at 07:15 AM

There's a member on here (nre?) who uses a Mojo as his daily transport all year round. Not short commutes either; Leicester to Gaydon I think.

JimSpencer - 5/9/12 at 08:04 AM

Hi

If you're only doing a few hundred miles in your tintop I would think you'll be financially better off using taxi's for the odd short journey, or hiring a little hatchback for the odd longer one - when the weathers totally against you.
Give it a bash, you've nothing to lose by trying it - make the decision once you've given it a go but before your NCB expires?

Grimsdale - 5/9/12 at 08:16 AM

7 years and 50,000 miles later, I'm still using my robin hood as a daily driver. Heated seats are essential in winter, a heater does little to help, and often makes steaming up worse. Mine has the stainless body and chassis, so i've not had any rust problems.

I have had some rusting up of the rear discs due to gentle use & road salt, but slotted discs seem to minimise this.

An LSD does help with progress in snow.....

chris-g - 5/9/12 at 08:20 AM

Another idea would be a classic car with very reasonably priced classic car insurance. It wouldn't have to be anything really old to be classed as a classic. The down side is you would still be running two cars so its still two lots of tax and mot

scootz - 5/9/12 at 08:28 AM

If I was going to do it, then I would treat it as a motorbike...

I'd strip out all fabrics from the interior, fit plastic seats and drill some drain-holes in the floor, so it doesn't matter if it gets soaked. I wouldn't use any weather-gear as I find it too restrictive and the misting is a pest. I'd just get myself an all-in one rain-suit, warm clothes and a helmet.

I'd also have a set of PROPER winter tyres at the ready!

chillis - 5/9/12 at 09:08 AM

Problem I had when my GTM was my only car is the insurance went up "as it is your only car sir" the tin top it replaced was cheaper to insure as an everyday car so finacially I lost out. Seems many kit car insurers give you a big discount as the kit car is seen as an additional car (I didn't have to build any no claims on the kit car policy while I had another car)
You would do well to check this out and the premiums before you commit to using your kit car as you only driver.

Grimsdale - 5/9/12 at 09:11 AM

that's also true. Flux will do it, currently paying ~£180/year

AllWeatherDan - 5/9/12 at 09:34 AM

Im using my Tiger for the commute 30 Miles a day.
I did use it last winter most days but the really snowy days I used mi Discovery!

I have full weather gear which lets water in at speed! If you are serious about it it's actually not that bad
but you have to carefully concider how it is attached to the top of the screen.
Mine is on with press studs which lets water in allong the inside of the roof and then drips on you.

Also if you go through a big puddle it all goes up the front gap of the doors.
TIDAL WAVE !!!!! - Thinking at the moment of how to remedy this for winter.

Dan

Westy1994 - 5/9/12 at 10:44 AM

Some great posts there, love the photo Grimsdale looked like a 'fun' drive. I mentioned on the insurance thread just recently about going down the 'classic car ' route, one that would have saved a fair amount of cash, car would be pre 72 ( or 73 whatever it is - the cutoff for free tax) and if pre 60 would save a further cost by saving on the MOT. Main issue is finding a car at a price that is cost effective, the really cheap cars out there are restoration projects and not suitable to just jump in and drive.

With regards to the insurance on a kitcar , I suppose I could still keep the tintop and re-SORN it all the time, that way when asked, I still have access to a second car?, I don't see why that can't be an option. Also the second car does not have to be mine does it?, my sister has one I could use now and again...

@ Scootz - I see where you are coming from with this, but I spent the best part of 3 1/2 years in that config with an aeroscreen as well. If you have to use the car in the rain / hail then unless you are wearing a helmet its really not pleasent at all, and I hated having to wear a helmet in a road car, just seems weird somehow, might be due to the racing I did many years ago that has caused that? Even just putting a full screen and padded seats back in has transformed the car for road use - don't forget 'our' roads are a disgrace, bumps and holes everywhere - padded seats help here.

and Dan, yes, I am spending a fair amount of time and effort to get these bits to fit right, I have built the frame rail for the soft top already and just waiting for the fabric to arrive, doors are almost finished, but as you say there are gaps and I will be dealing with these as the build progresses, I am also considering using those full wings or clamshells as some call them, this I think would stop a lot of the issues that arise from just cycle wings, plus it also gives the car a more 'classic' look i feel - although I know that the original Lotus 7 had cycle wings and the clams were only due to foreign sales.

Folks say that the car is small with the weather gear on, yes they are, but I guess it depends what you have been used to. When I first passed my car test I got a Triumph Spitfire MK3, now internally they are not that much bigger than a 7, the only good bit was a small parcel shelf bit behind the two seats, just big enough for a few shopping bags. Externally however it did have a fairly large boot, which was handy when travelling abroad for instance. I never found the Spitty to be hard to cope with during a winter, it leaked like every other soft topped car of its time, the only difference I can see at the moment between the two is getting in and out, the Spitty had 'normal' doors.

Some great comments so far folks

chris-g - 5/9/12 at 11:52 AM

I am sure that classic car insurance applies to cars over 16 years old. 9 years ago I had 1982 Porsche 924 and had a classic policy on that. If you can get a classic policy on a younger car I would be looking at an old golf, plenty out there and good spares availability.

Just found this.
http://carinsuranceclassic.co.uk/Qualifying-For-Classic-Insurance/
The classic will need to be a second vehicle to your main car.

[Edited on 5/9/12 by chris-g]

Nickctp - 5/9/12 at 12:42 PM

I TRIED using my Lotus elise as an all rounder for a year - it just didnt work out. With the kit car I personally would not even consider it after the trouble I had with my Lotus when I had it.

Needs must though!

Good luck

Fieldy - 5/9/12 at 12:54 PM

Winter is bad enough in a normal car, i wouldnt even consider it, just get yourself a cheap tin top with as small an engine as possible and keep the 7 for fun... plus im sure the winter weather wouldnt do it any good at all.

ceebmoj - 5/9/12 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nickctp
I TRIED using my Lotus elise as an all rounder for a year - it just didnt work out. With the kit car I personally would not even consider it after the trouble I had with my Lotus when I had it.

I used my S1 Elise as a daly for 4 years was great fun. I was also the first person in the office all the days of big snow. I have yet to go out in the Locost in the snow but a bit of planning and preparation and it should be ok. However I guess it comes down to how much you want to do it, I always have a set of water proof overalls and my helmet in the car so im good for most wethere.

Nickctp - 5/9/12 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
quote:
Originally posted by Nickctp

I used my S1 Elise as a daly for 4 years was great fun. I was also the first person in the office all the days of big snow. I have yet to go out in the Locost in the snow but a bit of planning and preparation and it should be ok. However I guess it comes down to how much you want to do it, I always have a set of water proof overalls and my helmet in the car so im good for most wethere.

Oh it was great fun in the good weather - don't get me wrong,but I did struggle in the bad weather & on top of the usual lotus probs. I had an S1 too (tuned K Series) & I guess one of the other issues was I just did not want to damage it in any way as I had spent so much on it bringing it up to spec. But still using a kit as an all year round car - I really dont think it would be ideal unless you are very hardcore - just my 2 pennys worth though!

Westy1994 - 5/9/12 at 06:35 PM

As Nickctp says, sometimes needs must. I fully appreciate that the cars condition will suffer, but even now I still clean the dam thing after every blat and check everything is still where I fastened it to, so another 15 minutes cleaning the thing more thoroughly won't be much hassle.

I did check various companies that 'say' they cover cars over 10 years old on a special policy, but the Volvo I have is not one of them despite it being nearly 18 years old. I put this down to the fact that there are still many of them in daily use, I passed 3 of the same car as mine only today, the same age as well...... even got a wave from one of them, lol.....

Not finished that PH thread yet, got up to page 14 before turning in last night, so I will finish that off tonight. Been busy on the doors today, one is almost complete now.

@Fieldy. That is something I have considered, however the only use the tintop gets is to transport 3 border collies to vets or for some other dog related reason, buying a car suitable to house 3 such dogs takes me back to what I have already. I can fit 1 dog in the 7 very well, and actaully had to do this a few years ago when the tintop failed to start and it was an emergency, looked a bit odd with a dog in a aeroscreened 7, but hey it worked and the dog survived just fine.

I drove my Spitty for years as an only car, only got another one because I decided to compete with it and running a competition car on the road is no fun at all. Apart from the leaking soft top it was fine.

Not Anumber - 13/9/12 at 10:58 AM

Go for it Westy, i'm planning to use my Indy all year.
When the first Lotus 7s were made they were regarded as an all round capable sportscar and often used every day as a main car. There has been a change of emphasis since especially with the current attraction to aero screens/ no screens making them a summer only car but theres no reason why they can't fullfill both functions still.

Back in the day before wife and kids I had a Pilgim AC Cobra replica I used all year round including through a harsh winter. It was no less practical than any other sportscar and I cant see any reason why a 7/ Locost should be any different if set up for it.

Andybarbet - 13/9/12 at 12:30 PM

I also say go for it.

I drove some very rusty, small, some with soft tops cars for the 1st few years after passing my test in 1990 & managed just fine in all weathers. My chum still has a series 1 land rover that has been his only transport for over 20 years, no heater, soft top etc, mind you it is a 4x4 so atleast thats a bonus in winter I know people who dont have a car licence & ride a motorbike for as much of the year as possible, they seem to manage fine too.

I think we have got too used to our creature comforts in the last few years, I wouldnt hesitate to use a kit for as much of the year as I could, but as said the OP does minimal miles & probably wont even drive in really bad weather so it shouldnt be an issue.

I say good luck & let us know how it goes

[Edited on 13/9/12 by Andybarbet]

Fieldy - 13/9/12 at 02:58 PM

So just to be clear what’s the actual issue? I presume the tin top is paid for? Is it the insurance cost? If that’s the main factors maybe something like this would be ok for you….

www.coverbox.co.uk

“The box also allows us to check your miles, the times driven, where you keep the car overnight and if it is different then we can decrease or increase the premium accordingly during the year.”

Don’t think I would personally go down that route, to big brother for my liking but it could work out good for your circumstances, just another option really

Westy1994 - 13/9/12 at 05:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fieldy
So just to be clear what’s the actual issue? I presume the tin top is paid for? Is it the insurance cost? If that’s the main factors maybe something like this would be ok for you….

www.coverbox.co.uk

“The box also allows us to check your miles, the times driven, where you keep the car overnight and if it is different then we can decrease or increase the premium accordingly during the year.”

Don’t think I would personally go down that route, to big brother for my liking but it could work out good for your circumstances, just another option really

I tried them, they will not cover a car over 10 years old, or at least that's what they told me last week. Kind of glad really anyway for the reasons you mention.

Just finished the doors today, had to make them from scratch due to my not standard windscreen, but they have turned out ok and far better than the Westfield supplied items of the 90's, had an email from the canvas supplier who is having issues with stock, so back to the drawing board there then !.

I agree with the other posts regarding modern cars having spoilt us, but I think an early adulthood of motorbikes has toughened me up somewhat, and I can't really see it being worse than riding a bike.

Had to re-install windows today , so lost a lot of pics, but I do have some from today of the doors I made which I will upload later on when I have found the drivers again.

ETA - Pic attached

[Edited on 13/9/12 by Westy1994]

DIY Si - 13/9/12 at 08:49 PM

My BEC used to be my only car, and had no windscreen or doors. Or heater actually. I drove it everywhere, and even in the snow at -4C. At temps that low I was wearing thermal long johns, some short thermal boxer type things, normal trousers and my Helly Hansen water proof over trousers. On top was just a thermal top, a T shirt and my Helly fleece/water proof jacket combo.

With the right gear there's no reason you can't use a 7 all year round as your only car. I've done the weekly shop in mine with no boot box as the passenger footwell suffices, and have even been to B&Q for four 6ft tree posts which came home roped to the roll bar. The only problem I found was that some of my electrics needed more weather proofing. What will be fine in summer heat doesn't always work in traffic when it's pissing it down. But all the funny looks you get does take the edge off!!

nre - 2/10/12 at 01:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
There's a member on here (nre?) who uses a Mojo as his daily transport all year round. Not short commutes either; Leicester to Gaydon I think.

That'll be me :-)

But the commute is only from Warwick to Gaydon so 10 miles each way.

Car has been off the road for the last 6 months, with a broken cam belt tensioner leading to an engine swap, which led to various other upgrades... but prior to that was a daily driver for 7 years... took it's toll on the powder coat though (see sample pic below!)... Needless to say, part of the last 6 months has been spent on a thorough chassis restoration!

wilkingj - 2/10/12 at 01:34 PM

Tip for wet weather clothing...

Go to the BMF Bike show (usually at Peterborough) and look in the Rejects tent for clothing.
A large proportion of it is mail order returns that they cant sell as new.

I got an Aquapore jacket that retailed at £140 for £40. It was minus the Armour plating sections. But what the Hell... you dont need elbow and back pads in a car. Also in perfect condition just minus the removeable armour plates.

I got a full face ACU Gold Spot Approved Helmet for £35. Absolutely fine condition, completely unmarked. Just the box was a bit battered. I wear the Helmet on my head in the Viento, not the box

Gloves were £5 a pair, good leather and synthetic Biker gloves, I bought 3 pairs.

A word of warning... CAREFULLY EXAMINE every detail of the item, seams, stitching, missing studs, zips etc... There was some real crap hidden in the rails of perfectly good clothing. But Most was realy good kit, especially if you are a Kit car driver and not using it for biking.

Certainly a hell of a bargain for me.
Next show will probably be early next year. Its a bit late for this year.

Westy1994 - 2/10/12 at 05:35 PM

Due to the rather limited internal size of my car, wearing huge winter jackets would be a pain in the £&% I would think, I have just this week done a trial fit of a proposed half roof using the front rail / catches I made a month or so ago, even went as far as gaffer taping it on more securely and going for a blast, chickened out at 60mph but it stayed on and was very well behaved, it flapped about a bit at the door tops, but some Velco would stop that. I have the option at this point to convert it to a full hood, need more testing to see if I can cope with just a half one.

[url=

@ Nre

Not sure what engine you run, but with my aged Xflow chassis rust is not really an issue due to it doing its own oil changes whilst being driven, ending up as mist all over the chassis, this annoyed me at first having spent an age repainting the whole chassis some years ago, but now I see it as quite a bonus....

[Edited on 2/10/12 by Westy1994]

nre - 3/10/12 at 08:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994

@ Nre

Not sure what engine you run, but with my aged Xflow chassis rust is not really an issue due to it doing its own oil changes whilst being driven, ending up as mist all over the chassis, this annoyed me at first having spent an age repainting the whole chassis some years ago, but now I see it as quite a bonus....

[Edited on 2/10/12 by Westy1994]

Zetec installed at the back of my car, so even if it did leak it wound't help a great deal!

DIY Si - 3/10/12 at 02:41 PM

Depending upon what seats you have, and how big you are, you may be surprised how much you can wear. I'm 6'3" with a 46" chest and I found wearing all my winter gear quite snuggley and warm once in the seat. But having no roof or doors does make getting in and out easier than with them.