Board logo

Parts Storage
dai1983 - 26/11/04 at 12:43 PM

Hi,

I have put my plans on hold for year or so. I intend to store my donor parts until i resume my build.

I am unsure if it is possible for me to store items such as engines, gearboxes etc safely. Would any damage or fault occur in these parts if they were not being used?

Any advice?

david

ned - 26/11/04 at 12:44 PM

jsut grease or oil any bitrs you're worried about and they'll be fine..

Ned.

scoobyis2cool - 26/11/04 at 12:57 PM

My donor parts were sitting around for over a year before I actually got my car running, doesn't seem to have damaged them!

Pete

DarrenW - 26/11/04 at 12:58 PM

Ive heard of people periodically turning engines over by hand when in storage. Dry as possible and plenty of oil / grease / protection should keep them fine.

I was also told that fibreglass needs to be stored carefully to avoid any shape deformation. I guess as long as t is not placed anywhere where it is twisted it will be OK.

DaveFJ - 26/11/04 at 01:24 PM

Glass fibre panels should be supported fully and held in shape - esspecially items like bonnets - if not they will sag and deform over time.

As for donor components - I would advise NOT stripping them and then leaving them around for an extended period, I know from personal experience that if you strip your engine down and leavethe crankshaft on your workbench for 18 months it turns an interesting shade of brown
(and yes it was coated in oil when it was put there....

mangogrooveworkshop - 26/11/04 at 05:17 PM

When you put the motor back into action open the big ends and put some oil in there if its stood for a year or longer..........dont ask just do.

JoelP - 26/11/04 at 06:37 PM

downt sparky hole too...