Board logo

What do you guys like/dislike about your car?
Pseicho - 28/7/06 at 04:51 PM

Like the title says.
What do you like and dislike about the car you built yourself, except for that you built it yourself ofcourse.

Like not having a roof, not having doors. The car being very low etc.

graememk - 28/7/06 at 05:12 PM

i dislike how much its costing me, i'm a bit over my £250 buget.

joneh - 28/7/06 at 05:51 PM

I hate that its a diesel van.

Krismc - 28/7/06 at 05:57 PM

Yea way over budget!! after all my months reading up- not relising that a full kit doesnt actually mean full!!!

Budget was 6k

....total spent so far £14-16k

marcjagman - 28/7/06 at 06:11 PM

Fed up with bloody grinding and getting sun burn from UV off welder, and why is it that when the welder decides to have a "moment" it's always in a soddin' visible place?

shades - 28/7/06 at 06:14 PM

Like that I can escape to the garage

BKLOCO - 28/7/06 at 06:17 PM

There is nothing I dislike about my car!!!!

I've just had the best day of tuning my MegaSquirt, now that I have got my wide band controller back from Bill.

Plus I've just found a fantastic road in my area that I didn't know existed

Life is Good at the moment!!!

scutter - 28/7/06 at 07:19 PM

Just the oil leaks, a 4age will sort out that Nothing else.

ATB Dan.

Pseicho - 28/7/06 at 07:29 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, but they are almost all related to building.

How about the things you encounter when you're using it?

theconrodkid - 28/7/06 at 07:31 PM

i love the wind in whats left of your hair and the go-kartesque handling,the peeps you meet and the bacon rolls you eat.
i dont like it when it rains and you have no roof

DIY Si - 28/7/06 at 07:35 PM

People not seeing you coming round the corner they've just cut. Or, as donut knows, pulling out on you.

Marcus - 28/7/06 at 07:40 PM

Love the sound of the rattly old crossflow, love the acceleration, love the kids pointing and shouting, love the attention it got in France, love the colour, love the smell, love using it every day to go to work, love the fact that it only cost 1500 quid to build, love the fact that it's a LOCOST.
There's much more, but I'm getting boring now

raccoonradar - 28/7/06 at 07:55 PM

I hate that I'm selling mine
Love the kids shouting "nice car "
Hate the teenagers shouting w**ker love seeing they faces as you broad side it out of the roundabouts

t.j. - 28/7/06 at 08:26 PM

I Hate that i haven't got enough time to work on it!

Lightning - 28/7/06 at 09:49 PM

Love going fast, hate going slow.
Hate coming across caravans, volvos, people with one brake light, holiday makers, police, old people, holes in the road, traffic lights, speed cameras, motorways, cyclists, tractors, and people called simon.

Mark Allanson - 28/7/06 at 10:21 PM

Holes in the road, got to go with that one! Also traffic humps which exceed 100mm high and/or less than 900mm long.

..oh and being waved at by young women when the mrs is in the car

Agriv8 - 28/7/06 at 10:56 PM

like the subaru slaying. dont like the filling up at very regular intervals.

do like the kids that forget what they are doing to stop and stare !

Dont like saxo/corsa wide wheels that decide they are going to prove there that they are faster through a 30 zone while there are kids / families about

greggors84 - 31/7/06 at 12:35 AM

I dislike the fact that it makes my road car really boring to drive now. And the fact im waiting for a letter from Ford so i can get a SVA retest!

14 - 16k?!

What spec is your car if you dont mind me asking. I went over budget with my car, but only by about £500.

DarrenW - 31/7/06 at 02:46 PM

Attention you get from everyone when youre out.
Arms and face getting a good tan.
Long list of tweeks and mods to keep the project alive.
Open top motoring in general.
The build process.
Mac#1 motorsports and being a member of the owners club.
Locostbuilders.co.uk
Meeting up with other 7 owners at the ne7ers meets last Weds of every month.

Dislikes
Moths exploding on your forehead.
When it rains.
The colour i chose (Oxford Blue) - way too dark.
Teething problems that make it conk out - hopefuly all sorted now.

[Edited on 31/7/06 by DarrenW]

Krismc - 31/7/06 at 03:36 PM

quote:
What spec is your car if you dont mind me asking. I went over budget with my car, but only by about £500.
quote:

2.0 RT plus, inboard suspension, carbon dash and tunnel,Raceleda hubs and r16 callipers, custom seats and guages and a GXSR 2.0 zetec with around 200BHP

Hubs = £850, alloys and guages £900, carbon fibe £200 and the list goes on

[Edited on 31/7/06 by Krismc]

smart51 - 31/7/06 at 07:43 PM

I love the acceleration but I hate that 4.5 seconds to 60 now seems normal.

I love the bike engine noise as it revs up towards 12000 RPM but hate the 6600 RPM drone on dual carriageways.

I love that it is so open that you can feel and hear everything, except that time when it hail stoned and I pretty much hated it all the way home from Oulton Park 80 miles away when it rained heavily for the whole journey.

[Edited on 31-7-2006 by smart51]

David Jenkins - 31/7/06 at 09:16 PM

I love the sense of "being there" as you drive along, instead of being insulated from reality in the tin-top.

David

DIY Si - 31/7/06 at 09:30 PM

quote:

I love the acceleration but I hate that 4.5 seconds to 60 now seems normal

This is now the main reason that I don't mind driving the works van everyday. Every time I drive the wee beasty I get that just out of the box feeling.

Benzine - 31/7/06 at 09:50 PM

I hate my hair getting so tangled. Hats fly off and I look stupid wearing a bandana. Any long haired people with a solution?

David Jenkins - 1/8/06 at 07:18 AM

How about...

Benzine - 1/8/06 at 05:08 PM

The perfect solution. I have one. The only problem is that it's too hot to wear in the summer, great for the winter though

richard thomas - 2/8/06 at 09:29 PM

I love the fact that this evening i was giving it some stick, terrifying myself, and for the first time it suddenly dawned on me that ' I made this...' - and i grinned a bit more.

I hate the rain at 30 and above, though - it stings, and also the buffeting but i suppose it's one of those things we just have to live with.

Rich.

TangoMan - 3/8/06 at 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I hate my hair getting so tangled. Hats fly off and I look stupid wearing a bandana. Any long haired people with a solution?

Erm........HAIRCUT!!!!!!!

Benzine - 3/8/06 at 10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TangoMan
quote:

Erm........HAIRCUT!!!!!!!

Not going to happen, methinks

skydivepaul - 3/8/06 at 10:35 PM

I love the fact that when out driving on the road there is nothing that can touch it.

I dislike the fact that when on the track i need more power. you can never have enough

Dick Axtell - 8/8/06 at 12:09 PM

Having spent ages creating (machining, drilling, routing, upholstering etc.) my dashboard, I now find that the rear of the speedo cannot be connected to the cable, 'cos the cross hoop is immediately in the way. Shishkebabs!!

A load of wasted effort - that's what I don't like about my car!!

Anybody fancy a nice dark blue, vinyl-covered dashboard?

G.Man - 11/8/06 at 05:34 AM

Love

Its so fast, it is capable of removing a girls knickers AFTER a ride, the sound, the dirftability, the grip, the amount of waves and toots from other drivers, the amount of money I have been offered for it (cyp£15,000 = £19,000).

Hate

Turning my head and losing my £300 glasses, the clunkiness of the transmission, the death of the stock clutch so quickly, the overheating in traffic, the weather here meaning I get out looking like a drowned rat after driving it, and finally the cyprus DVLA.

NS Dev - 11/8/06 at 09:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i love the wind in whats left of your hair and the go-kartesque handling,the peeps you meet and the bacon rolls you eat.
i dont like it when it rains and you have no roof

Dunno yet, mine's not finished yet, but from Westfielding before, the above sums it up perfectly. Only added hate is motorways in a 7, use of virtually no thottle still results in buffeting that feels like somebody is slapping your ears with a cricket bat!!!

easy to solve that though, plan ALL routes, no matter how far, on back roads!!! In the Westy we once set off to go to a pub a bit south of leicester, and ended up in Wells-next-the-Sea it was so much fun driving! We had a simple rule, no A-roads allowed for more than 2 miles!!