Board logo

Poppys
woodster - 6/11/08 at 10:26 AM

I've bought a poppy just wondered how many others on here had?

JAG - 6/11/08 at 10:28 AM

Absolutely, always do.

jabbahutt - 6/11/08 at 10:31 AM

as above, wouldn't dream of not putting cash in a poppy collection.

owelly - 6/11/08 at 10:40 AM

At the place where I work, there was always a poppy on top of a cupboard in the workshop. As soon as the poppy lady turned-up, it was a mass pile-up to get to the poppy first!!!! Those who didn't get the poppy had to buy one! Obviously, it was a bit of fun that we all looked forward to every year!! And we all usually had a whip round for the poppy tin anyway!

David Jenkins - 6/11/08 at 10:41 AM

Yep - me and SWMBO have one each.

eznfrank - 6/11/08 at 10:47 AM

I must have had my head up my ass this year as I don't remember seeing any anywhere, they usually have them on reception at work but not seen any??

v8kid - 6/11/08 at 10:47 AM

Buy one every time

[Edited on 6-11-08 by v8kid]

DarrenW - 6/11/08 at 10:49 AM

Always do. i think my 6 years old is getting me one from school today.

Agriv8 - 6/11/08 at 10:55 AM

I Usually end up with several. ( diferent jackets ect ect ) A small price to pay to comemorate those that Died for our freedom IMHO.

regards

Agriv8

sucksqueezebangblow - 6/11/08 at 11:00 AM

Absolutely, every year. Did 15 years and came out alive but I know many who did not. SAS mate of mine died last week, retired, but will always be remembered for what he did for Queen and Country! I'm still choked, he and many others will always be in my thoughts.

UncleFista - 6/11/08 at 11:13 AM

I can't pass a poppy collector without thinking of me Grandad, therefore they get loads of cash from me.
Me and my 7 yr old are never without one...

f1ngers - 6/11/08 at 11:17 AM

We always buy some every year and donate generously.
Incidentally my Grandma who is 98 still sells poppys every year and has done for 50+ years

mookaloid - 6/11/08 at 11:18 AM

yup me too

scotlad - 6/11/08 at 11:29 AM

Ive bought 3

But lost them all

O well will have to buy another then

Phil.J - 6/11/08 at 11:31 AM

We always buy a couple each year, small price to pay.
Was thinking this morning of my uncle Philip who I'm named after. Poor buggar was taken by crocs while fording a river in Burma during WW2.

Mr Whippy - 6/11/08 at 11:31 AM

haven't seen any tbh but I do work in an industrial estate...

smart51 - 6/11/08 at 11:57 AM

They shouldn't have to rely on charity. Their employer (the government) should provide for soldiers injured at work. The fact that we have a poppy appeal every year speaks more about their need than our charity.

Grunty - 6/11/08 at 12:49 PM

I'd love to commemorate our fallen heroes by ruining my clothes for the sake of a piece of plastic/non-recycled paper, but what with the current price of fuel in this country, pah - that's just not gonna happen!

We all know that those weekends at the racetrack with diesel powered industrial heaters in tow are the most important thing in the world, right guys?!

Guys?

woodster - 6/11/08 at 12:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
haven't seen any tbh but I do work in an industrial estate...

that was one of the reasons i asked, the wife said the other day she hadn't seen any on sale ............... Grunty what a strange and sad thing to say

trikerneil - 6/11/08 at 01:01 PM

Poppy collector came round our industrial estate yesterday.

I've bought two poppies now.

I wouldn't dream of not buying one.

Neil

Grunty - 6/11/08 at 01:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by woodster
Grunty what a strange and sad thing to say

Tell that to those three pour souls up in Brainerd!

nib1980 - 6/11/08 at 01:06 PM

yep always do

woodster - 6/11/08 at 01:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Grunty
quote:
Grunty what a strange and sad thing to say

Tell that to those three pour souls up in Brainerd!

you've lost me there chubby

madrallysport - 6/11/08 at 01:12 PM

Always get one, deff a must.

Grunty - 6/11/08 at 01:16 PM

quote:
What the heck d'ya mean?!

davidinhull - 6/11/08 at 01:21 PM

I always get one and those that can't find one to buy I'm selling them from my pharmacy as well

woodster - 6/11/08 at 01:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Grunty
quote:

explain what brainerd has to do with the price of fish ..... chubby

nathanharris1987 - 6/11/08 at 02:22 PM

Always do, although i gotta say I'm one of the few in my group of mates that does.

We're all around the 20/21 mark and imho us youngsters are forgetting. Walking through town earlier it was quite apparent that all the "old boys" had them pinned to their jackets and younger peoples with hoodies or trendy jumpers didnt bother.

Its a shame that more of us dont wear them.

TOO BADD - 6/11/08 at 03:17 PM

There seems to be a virus on my laptop cos its throwng up some weird replies on this subject.

triumphdave - 6/11/08 at 03:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nathanharris1987
Always do, although i gotta say I'm one of the few in my group of mates that does.

We're all around the 20/21 mark and imho us youngsters are forgetting. Walking through town earlier it was quite apparent that all the "old boys" had them pinned to their jackets and younger peoples with hoodies or trendy jumpers didnt bother.

Its a shame that more of us dont wear them.

I always made a big thing out of getting a Poppy with my boys for this reason,they are both teenagers know and wouldnt dream of not getting one.

Fozzie - 6/11/08 at 03:25 PM

Yes we buy every year.....

My brother is selling them in his shop, and got ours from there, I have only seen them in a few independent shops this year though.

Strangely, or fittingly, my father gave me my grandfathers watch last week. He wore it in battle all through the First World War, seeing battle at Ypres twice, France and Italy.

He must have been wearing it when he won his Military Medal!

It had never worked all the while dad had it, but when i got it home, I held it, and it has worked since!...and it is nearly 100 years old!

It is such a shame youngsters don't seem to buy poppies, after all, it isn't just the WW1 and WW2, but subsequent conflicts, whether we agree with the latter conflicts or not, lads and lasses have still given their lives for their country.... and deserve to be remembered....

Just my tuppence worth of course!

Fozzie

woodster - 6/11/08 at 03:31 PM

http://www.poppy.org.uk/

bbwales - 6/11/08 at 05:13 PM

I always buy them and as previously mentioned one for each jacket, and never throw them away, could make my own wreath by now, my excuse is I served for 22 years and still thank my lucky stars I could retire.

Bob

Andi - 6/11/08 at 05:19 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/remembrance/mobile/

Looks very good to anyone interested.

nstrug - 6/11/08 at 05:22 PM

Bought 3 so far this year, and each one has lost the little black bit in the middle and fallen apart

Perhaps its a ploy by the Legion to augment the much-needed funds

Nick

Bigheppy - 6/11/08 at 05:58 PM

Not seen a poppy seller but bought the X factor single

owelly - 8/11/08 at 08:50 PM

WTF!!! Grunty, your avatar seems to have eaten my screen....

JamJah - 9/11/08 at 09:25 AM

I am slightly shocked that so many people feel they are buying a poppy. You are donating.
They don't have a price, and neither is there a price for all those who have died fighting for us.

Wearing with pride!

Liam - 9/11/08 at 10:23 AM

??

I should think most people understand the concept! 'Buying a poppy' is more a figure of speech - rolls of the tongue easier than 'I have chosen to donate to The Royal British Legion, in return for which I have been given a free symbolic poppy'

Liam

Alan B - 9/11/08 at 07:18 PM

Yep..we get them here too.....my son is a US marine currently in Iraq, so it has that bit extra meaning to us.

trogdor - 10/11/08 at 10:08 AM

yep me and my wife always make a point of getting one every year, have lost mine already. will have to get another one.

heres another question, how many peeps do the minutes silence on the 11th?