Board logo

diesel tune plug ins
Bitten hero - 8/2/09 at 12:53 PM

hi all, has anybody had any good or bad experiances with the plug in boxs to up power and torque of a diesel . got a 2.2 dci renault espace. any help pointers cheers gary

dinosaurjuice - 8/2/09 at 01:02 PM

www.tdoc.co.uk

youll find all you need to know there...

general opinion is that some work better than others, but its worth getting a proper re-map done.

will

Howlor - 8/2/09 at 01:04 PM

As far as I am aware there are basically two versions. The cheapies just adjust the inlet temperature measurement to make the ecu think it is cold all the time and over fuel the car. Not good.

The more expensive versions I understand actually adjust the boost, fuelling etc. I don't think though it is a substitute for a proper re-map.

Steve

kevmcdo - 8/2/09 at 01:19 PM

I have a discovery td5 that I have a VanAken box fitted to and it makes a huge differance.

It used to loose speed on hills and you would need to drop it down a gear, now it will hold fifth without loosing speed no worries.

It is defo better paying that bit extra for a reputable suuplier or a remap.

bigrich - 8/2/09 at 01:28 PM

My brother has a tuning box on his Vectra SRi 150, its pushing up towards 200 bhp and SO torquey. Very impresive

britishtrident - 8/2/09 at 07:39 PM

The Renault 2.2 DCI Diesel has a track record of turbo problems with the bits of turbo ending up in the cylinders. --- perhaps not the best choice to fit a black box to.
See
http://www.parkers.co.uk/advice/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18664&whichpage=5

I would advise leaving the enggine unmodified and chainging the oil at half the interval Renault recommend, using only the best fully synthetic oil, and allowing the engine to idle for at least a minute before you switch off.

roadrunner - 8/2/09 at 07:42 PM

I had one on a MKIII golf , i payed £300 for it, two minutes and it was in. From a 90BHP diesel i could just pip 115BHP golfs, well worth the money.

greglogan - 9/2/09 at 12:21 AM

I put a cheapy one into a 100BHP Superb. It made a big difference but kept putting on the engine management light as it was messing with the fuel temp. Not worth the hassle as its a company car.

Greg.