Board logo

Belated New Year Lifestyle Resolution...
scootz - 13/2/11 at 10:22 AM

Today is the day! No more talking the talk... I'm walking the walk! I've grown a pair and I'm taking a stand for something I've procrastinated with for far too long!

Unless I know how it lived its life and how it met its end, then I ain't eating or wearing it!

Frankly, I'm ashamed it's taken me until now!

pekwah1 - 13/2/11 at 10:37 AM

yeh, me too, hold on... what am i saying... i'm a MAN i eat MEAT and i don't care from where!!!

mookaloid - 13/2/11 at 10:59 AM

I try to eat only British meat. On the whole I think we do it well here and buying mostly from my local butcher rather than supermarkets helps too.

MakeEverything - 13/2/11 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I try to eat only British meat. On the whole I think we do it well here and buying mostly from my local butcher rather than supermarkets helps too.

Better quality from the local butcher. Well worth the extra couple of quid.

Richard Quinn - 13/2/11 at 11:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Unless I know how it lived its life and how it met its end,

... no matter how bad either of them were???

[Edited on 13/2/11 by Richard Quinn]

eznfrank - 13/2/11 at 11:14 AM

I imagine the eating rule will be much easier to stick to than the wearing rule?

Richard Quinn - 13/2/11 at 11:19 AM

Unless you get one of those dresses as worn by Lady Gaga?

Strontium Dog - 13/2/11 at 11:33 AM

I don't eat very much meat but this Christmas I bought a half pig from a friend who rears her animals free range and cares for them very well. Happy pigs. It might as well be from a different animal to the artificially colored, water injected, steroid fed pork you can buy in the supermarkets, so very much better in every way. And I will not eat veal, or battery chickens or eggs or anything produced by inhumane techniques as I have a conscience

Good on you, it can only be healthier to avoid chemically enhanced unhappy animals as well!

ReMan - 13/2/11 at 11:38 AM

Admirable, but difficult in praxctice, unless you're only going to rear and kill them yourself

MikeR - 13/2/11 at 12:20 PM

or know someone who does - get you know your local butcher and abattoir.

Benzine - 13/2/11 at 12:30 PM

Awesome, I've not had meat for about a year and a half (same with milk) Let's all gather round and listen to some vegan hip hop, yo! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe1_T5M2RdM

austin man - 13/2/11 at 03:10 PM

Roadkill it is then

Steve Hignett - 13/2/11 at 03:28 PM

Well done Scootz...

Mind you, given where you live, that shouldn't be too hard!

I try my best too, but we are on a very tight budget, and whilst I would tend to agree that it's worth paying a little extra, it's not when you don't have the little extra!

Fair play to you, hope you stick to it!

When I started reading your posts though, I have to confess that I thought you were going to say that you were going for a job/starting work

Richard Quinn - 13/2/11 at 03:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
When I started reading your posts though, I have to confess that I thought you were going to say that you were going for a job/starting work

Or stopping the impulse buys? Sounds like you are now putting more thought to what you put in your stomach than what you put in the garage.

kipper - 13/2/11 at 04:01 PM

Just taking a break from the workshop and have just eaten a shepards pie from the local Spa shop......
I can't say what the hell was in it but it tasted like a real shepherd............. yuk!
Denis.

scootz - 13/2/11 at 05:05 PM

... you guys!

Luckily we live fairly rural and I know plenty who breed and rear beasties, so I probably will eat some animal at some point in the future.

In the meantime though it's lentils and lettuce for me!

The 'wearing' part will be slightly trickier, but I've managed to go a whole year now without buying anything labelled as being 'Made in China', so there's reasons to be hopeful. I guess I may as well continue to wear anything that I already have as I've already contributed to the animals misery and I can't go back.

Peteff - 13/2/11 at 05:14 PM

I've tried the alternative to leather footwear and I can say it is not good. I bought some waterproof boots and my feet were freezing every time I wore them this winter no matter how good my (wool) socks were. I look on leather as a by product of the meat industry so as the cow is already dead you should feel no guilt and stop laying your guilt trip on the rest of us

Ninehigh - 13/2/11 at 07:19 PM

I thought the alternative to leather was plastic...

So when you say "knowing how it's lived it's life" do you mean "This egg has come from a free range chicken" stamped on the box or "This egg has come from Mabel or Agatha, the two chickens that I wave to on my way to work"?

iscmatt - 13/2/11 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Today is the day! No more talking the talk... I'm walking the walk! I've grown a pair and I'm taking a stand for something I've procrastinated with for far too long!

Unless I know how it lived its life and how it met its end, then I ain't eating or wearing it!

Buy from your butcher, problem solved!

blakep82 - 13/2/11 at 08:02 PM

didn't know being gay was a valid new years resolution?

not for me! animals are too tasty

jacko - 13/2/11 at 08:07 PM

No meat you will be eating at MacDonald's then

iank - 13/2/11 at 08:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
didn't know being gay was a valid new years resolution?

not for me! animals are too tasty

More of the gay blokes I know eat meat

JoelP - 13/2/11 at 08:55 PM

im all for veggies myself. Eating less meat is a step towards solving mankinds problems, in terms of how much more efficient it is to produce veg than meat. And im not keen on cattle anyway really. The wife does love pork though

Ninehigh - 13/2/11 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
The wife does love pork though

Even vegetarians love bacon butties

carpmart - 13/2/11 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
The wife does love pork though

Even vegetarians love bacon butties

And I'm guessing SAUSAGES!

Peteff - 13/2/11 at 11:57 PM

quote:
the wife does love pork though

Fnarr fnarr

Is that what they call a euphemism Joel ?

Tongue sandwich anyone?

Fozzie - 14/2/11 at 12:26 AM

quote:

Another well done from me!

I know that it is nigh on impossible to do it/be sure 100% .... if you make just one or two changes it is all for the good.

I eat only meat from my local butcher...who in turn knows where the animals come from.
I have my fish sent from Cornwall and Scotland, caught locally.....and boy o boy is it good

Apples..British grown and native varieties ....

Beer/Ale.....British of course ...

Supporting our British farmers/growers......can only be good ....

IMHO of course....
Fozzie

Ninehigh - 14/2/11 at 12:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
I eat only meat from my local butcher...who in turn knows where the animals come from.

Our local butcher is Morrison's

ReMan - 14/2/11 at 09:39 PM

Sadly so true Tesco and Aldi

Village butcher opened anmd closed in about 18mths, people want it but wont pay the differnce 5 days a week