Board logo

Kindle - Any Good ?
perksy - 18/8/12 at 07:27 PM

Thinking about buying Mrs P a Kindle

Are these any good or are their better alternatives without spending ipad money ?

For instance, what sort of battery life from the Kindle ?

Thanks

austin man - 18/8/12 at 07:35 PM

Kobo is another to consider , there are also tablets on the net which can double as e readers and also allow browsing watching films etc for the £120 mark

designer - 18/8/12 at 07:38 PM

Kindle, without a doubt.

chris mason - 18/8/12 at 07:40 PM

I bought the wife a Kindle last year, probably one of the best presents i've ever bought her (and most other presents cost 5x the price of Kindle)

Just asked her about the battery life, and she says she can't remember the last time she charged, and she reads for at least an hour every day.

Judging by what i see, i'd guess 100+ hours of reading in between charges.

If your wife likes to read i'm sure you'll not go wrong with a Kindle

jase380 - 18/8/12 at 07:50 PM

As above, bought the wife one 18 months ago and she loves it, will do a weeks holiday without charging... and she can read all day when laying on the beach. The good thing i notice with the kindle is it's just like reading a book, direct sunlight does not effect the clarity of the screen, unlike some tablets i've seen which are useless in the sun.

mookaloid - 18/8/12 at 07:59 PM

virtually every review I have ever read puts the kindle at the top.

I have a kindle touch and Mrs Mooky has the regular one. I have them both linked to the same account so we can share books.

I think it needs a charge about once a month or so - seems like a long time anyway. I read a couple of chapters after I got a warning that it needed charging last time.

britishtrident - 18/8/12 at 08:00 PM

Only downside is the screens sometimes go belly up when just out of warranty, Amazon are well aware of the problem but only offer a discounted exchange unit.

Also keep in mind that on bigger smart phones Kindle software for Android works really well.

Staple balls - 18/8/12 at 08:00 PM

I have a plain old kindle, turn off wifi etc and it'll go weeks without a charge.

Unfortunately I sat on mine and killed it, but they only want £50 for a replacement, so it's not the end of the world.

wylliezx9r - 18/8/12 at 08:01 PM

They are brilliant. And to add normal tablets are poo for reading books on, too much glare and short battery life.

bobinspain - 18/8/12 at 08:41 PM

I asked a similar question a year ago.
I can now report.
We have 2,000 books of which 1,900 are my 'good lady's' 1,700 are crime/murder mystery. For 3 quid from ebay, I quadrupled her library.
The Kindle is an amazing piece of kit. We are both Luddites, and my wife swore she'd only be happy reading a 'proper book.' Not so.
Buy one.

MRLuke - 18/8/12 at 09:22 PM

Nexus 7 is worth a look, had some rave reviews so far and is the same sort of price.

maccmike - 18/8/12 at 09:24 PM

The doris loves hers

BenB - 18/8/12 at 09:30 PM

How do I get a replacement? I squashed mine on holiday and FUBARd it

Staple balls - 18/8/12 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
How do I get a replacement? I squashed mine on holiday and FUBARd it

Call em, I think the number is googleable, I got a massively over-enthusiastic american who was very, very happy to help.

BenB - 18/8/12 at 10:13 PM

Worth a try eh? Will give it a go, cheers Luckily the hotel we were at had a nice store of books which had been left which I raided so I wasn't without reading material for the holidays. Def get a hard cover for it next time...

splitrivet - 18/8/12 at 10:35 PM

Kobo's are a good second choice at much cheapness, the 3g Kindle is a steal, free 3g anywhere on the planet the mem sahib can get on facebook on your hols for nowt and you can still use Locostbuilders for free, get in.
Cheers,
Bob

The Shootist - 19/8/12 at 12:02 AM

Kindle is without a doubt the best, if you just want the plain reader, not the Fire version.

It will go for weeks without changing. (I have been at the hospital with my wife for 5 days (open heart surgery) reading most of the time and it isn't low yet) I keep my radio turned off and if you do that the screen saver ads on the cheapo version pretty much go away.

You can get pirated books if you choose, and most any format can be ripped to Kindle with a program called Calibre. Calibre is literally so easy to use you will think you are doing it wrong at first.

I find that slipping it into a 1 liter zippy bag makes it pretty much water proof, and you can use it sitting in the hot tub or even in the shower.

All of the Google library can be ripped, and all the classics that are in public domain are readily available.

Staple balls - 19/8/12 at 02:04 AM

on the subject of ereaders, the kobo vox is an awful, crashy underpowered sack of arse, avoid.

Daddylonglegs - 19/8/12 at 07:42 AM

Another one for the Kindle. I travel longhaul a lot with work and wouldn't be without mine. Battery seems to last forever too

MikeR - 19/8/12 at 07:58 AM

got my misses one last year. I'm still getting the brownie points. she loves it. we've got a baby and she could feed and read at the same time. ours had a problem with the battery. amazon where great to deal with. I got the 3g version so she could buy books if we're on holiday. she has 3g and wireless off 99 percent of the time, reads up to an hour a day and charges it maybe once a month - ok reality, she pulled a face and couldn't remember when she last charged it and guessed at month. you also get an email address and can send documents to that, amazon convert the files and send them to your kindle automatically.

russbost - 19/8/12 at 09:10 AM

Me & the missus got Kindles last Xmas, someone on here (won't mention names he might get inundated with requests) kindly passed on his entire collection for the price of as few dvd's so we now have a mega library.
The screen is really clear & battery life seems to go on forever.
Buy one!

NigeEss - 19/8/12 at 10:03 AM

I've the standard 3G version and it's great.
The web browser is a bit clunky to use but it's free anywhere

I guess the touch version is much easier to surf the net with.

MikeRJ - 19/8/12 at 11:46 AM

Both my wife and I have Kindles, and they are used every night. I would be very sad if I had to part with mine.

craig1410 - 19/8/12 at 12:04 PM

I'd suggest having a look at a Kindle and using it for 10 minutes in the store before buying. I thought about getting one ages ago for my wife as she reads a lot but neither of us could get used the horrible flashing you get between screen refreshes - really irritating.

I've already got an iPad and iPhone (as has my wife now) and we do a lot of reading on those. The battery life of the iPad in particular is very long (several days easily - who cares if it lasts weeks unless you are trekking in the Amazon or something...) and having just gotten back from Tenerife, I didn't have any problems reading by the poolside in super-bright sunlight. I just wear my polaroid sunglasses as usual and turn up the brightness and I'm good to go. To be honest though, if you want to read in the sun in a state of ultimate relaxation then get a subscription to an audio book provider and just lie back with your eyes closed and listen. Much better than either iPad or Kindle and you can then just buy a very cheap iPod shuffle or iPod Nano. I read lots of audio books while commuting (2.5 hours a day) and it is a great way to find reading time which would otherwise just be wasted time.

Try these guys for starters: http://www.audible.co.uk

One other thing - Apple are very likely to be releasing a much cheaper, 7.85" iPad in the next few weeks (probably Sept 12th) and the rumours are that this will be in the $200 range. If they hit that price target then it is likely to all but kill off the already ailing, non-iPad tablet market. Depending on how you view this, it may mean some great bargains for non-iPad tablets or a good reason to get an iPad instead.

Cheers,
Craig.

MRLuke - 19/8/12 at 01:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
I'd suggest having a look at a Kindle and using it for 10 minutes in the store before buying. I thought about getting one ages ago for my wife as she reads a lot but neither of us could get used the horrible flashing you get between screen refreshes - really irritating.

I've already got an iPad and iPhone (as has my wife now) and we do a lot of reading on those. The battery life of the iPad in particular is very long (several days easily - who cares if it lasts weeks unless you are trekking in the Amazon or something...) and having just gotten back from Tenerife, I didn't have any problems reading by the poolside in super-bright sunlight. I just wear my polaroid sunglasses as usual and turn up the brightness and I'm good to go. To be honest though, if you want to read in the sun in a state of ultimate relaxation then get a subscription to an audio book provider and just lie back with your eyes closed and listen. Much better than either iPad or Kindle and you can then just buy a very cheap iPod shuffle or iPod Nano. I read lots of audio books while commuting (2.5 hours a day) and it is a great way to find reading time which would otherwise just be wasted time.

Try these guys for starters: http://www.audible.co.uk

One other thing - Apple are very likely to be releasing a much cheaper, 7.85" iPad in the next few weeks (probably Sept 12th) and the rumours are that this will be in the $200 range. If they hit that price target then it is likely to all but kill off the already ailing, non-iPad tablet market. Depending on how you view this, it may mean some great bargains for non-iPad tablets or a good reason to get an iPad instead.

Cheers,
Craig.

I think the only apple product you didnt recommend there was an iMac.

jeffw - 19/8/12 at 01:44 PM

For reading books the basic Kindle kills everything else on the market (including the Fanbois Apple nonsense). If you want a tablet to do other things then there is lots of choice but for reading books the Kindle is king. My wife had one for her birthday and seems to spent her life attached to it.

MikeRJ - 19/8/12 at 03:13 PM

quote:

You must be hypersensitive to this kind of thing, I've not heard anyone else mention this as a significant problem. The flick as you change pages is shorter in duration than turning the page of a conventional book, and the newest Kindles are quite a lot faster than the old ones.

There's also the small matter of your lifestyle branded tablet costing more than four times as much as Kindle, and nearly 8 times more than the Kobo.

perksy - 19/8/12 at 08:40 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone

I've just ordered a Kindle...

craig1410 - 20/8/12 at 12:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

You must be hypersensitive to this kind of thing, I've not heard anyone else mention this as a significant problem. The flick as you change pages is shorter in duration than turning the page of a conventional book, and the newest Kindles are quite a lot faster than the old ones.

There's also the small matter of your lifestyle branded tablet costing more than four times as much as Kindle, and nearly 8 times more than the Kobo.

Ha ha, that made me laugh Mike, thanks...

What exactly IS a "lifestyle branded tablet"? Damned if I know - sounds like one of those BS meaningless buzzwords which marketing people come up with from time to time. Fact is that a kindle tablet is a piece of junk and will very soon disappear off into history as a technology (e-ink) which promised so much but achieved so little. Even Amazon realise this but unfortunately their answer (the Kindle Fire) has been extinguished already.

As for hypersensitivity to flicker? No, I don't believe I suffer from that. Hypersensitivity to a mediocre product - Yes absolutely, a chronic sufferer! It's like using an old etch-a-sketch. I don't care how long it takes, I care about how jarring and crap it looks. Looks like I'm not alone after all: http://systematichr.com/?p=1593

I'd rather pay 4 times as much for a quality piece of hardware (which is still cheap for what it does) and then pay next to nothing for content and apps than get a cheap piece of plastic hardware with the expectation that I will pay lots of money for content (not so much for apps as, well, there aren't really any...).

For someone who simply reads paperback books and has absolutely no need for colour or graphics and doesn't mind a flickering display between pages, and who is happy to spend this amount of money for a pretty limited device then I'm sure it is a good fit but for everyone else, they'd be better off with an iPad, Nexus 7 or a Nook. I'll be honest and say that I've never heard of the Kobo which tells me everything I need to know about it.

Cheers,
Craig.

britishtrident - 20/8/12 at 07:14 AM

Craving an Apple product = fetish or addiction ?

craig1410 - 20/8/12 at 08:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Craving an Apple product = fetish or addiction ?

Someone did a study on this a while back and found that brain patterns of Apple iOS users did not show any signs of addictive responses. However, they did show genuine affection towards their devices in a similar way that they might for a family pet. There was no mention of fetish in that study. I suspect the S&M folks probably still use Nokias and Blackberries...

Here it is: http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/10/study-shows-we-are-not-addicted-to-our-iphones-we-are-in-love

Personally I just find it to be a very useful tool for domestic and business use, no more and no less. YMMV.