Board logo

Check out my new car
Benzine - 9/2/06 at 04:13 PM

About a month ago I bought a new car. I say new, it's actually quite old. Anyway yes it's ugly but I've never had so much fun driving a car before

I've taken it around some great tracks and roads around my area and it's like driving a go-kart. The reactions from people are hilarious including lots of dropped jaws. I bought it as I saw it locally and had a test drive in it. I want to learn more about rebuilding engines, something which I didn't do with my MK so I want to rebuild the scamps engines and tidy the whole car up for a small project, something to do

Pics:

Feel free to laugh, most people do

ditchlewis - 9/2/06 at 04:19 PM

I love it

My son wants one as his first car. I love the hard top made out of an old land rover hard top...

can you remove the top for the summer??

ditch

P.S. brought a real smile to my face and i needed that. trying to move house and also mine and my fiance's grandmothers both died this week.

mookaloid - 9/2/06 at 04:21 PM

Ah yes the Scamp - great name for a mini based Moke type thingy.

You will probably get used to rebuilding the engine in that as they never seem to last too long - something to do with the gearbox being in the engine sump and knocking the big ends out with all the swarf off the gears i think.

You 'll soon get sick of it

Cheers

Mark

mookaloid - 9/2/06 at 04:22 PM

ps just noticed - it seems to have a lot of white foam leaking out from underneath it - do they all do that?

Cheers

Mark

Kissy - 9/2/06 at 04:45 PM

thought the 'foam' was airbrushed in to give the sense of speed??

Danozeman - 9/2/06 at 05:11 PM

Beast i like it. Put a metro turbo lump in it!!!

donut - 9/2/06 at 06:33 PM

Yep that looks like a right larf!!!!

Nice one!

froggy - 9/2/06 at 06:41 PM

thats begging for a k series conversion 1.4 with a carb from a 92-93 metro

donut - 9/2/06 at 06:43 PM

Moolakid: theres nowt wrong with the A series engine! Good bit of kit!!!

Benzine - 9/2/06 at 06:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ditchlewis
can you remove the top for the summer??

I think it's just a series of bolts around the cab although I haven't really checked yet.

Does anyone know much about mokes/scamps? What's the difference? I looked on ==>this website<== but none of them look like my scamp (mine is a 1973). Looking at the timeline at the top of the page mine should be a Mk1 but looks nothing like it.

phillippe - 9/2/06 at 07:10 PM

it looks like a land rover with ishoos
cheep to inshure thou

donut - 9/2/06 at 08:24 PM

quote:

it looks like a land rover with ishoos

stevebubs - 9/2/06 at 08:42 PM

Looks like a Mk 1 they've (cunningly) tried to disguise as a landy...

More for sale here

omega 24 v6 - 9/2/06 at 09:05 PM

Not my cup of tea sorry. Defo looks like a big bad landy has porked a mini moke and this is the offspring though

andyps - 10/2/06 at 11:05 AM

If you get a minilite wheel to replace the odd offside front one you have let me know as I need one like that!

iank - 10/2/06 at 11:31 AM

Doesn't look like a scamp - I'd say it's an Anderson Cub (moke copy).

http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/altpics/cub.html

Looking it up on the rac it's registered manufacturer is "Leyland Cars" with no model name. Hope the new computerised MOTs don't give you problems with that.

[Edited on 10/2/06 by iank]

Hellfire - 10/2/06 at 12:13 PM

That's just goddamn fugly IMHO Like they say though....... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

PS - The beholder should have gone to Specsavers.

iank - 10/2/06 at 01:04 PM

Surely all 12 previous owners can't be wrong

Well I suppose they can .
Will look better without the doors/hardtop and a lick of bright yellow or NATO green paint.

Great fun for those that don't give a toss what others think

7 in a fancy suit - 10/2/06 at 01:35 PM

{Does anyone know much about mokes/scamps? What's the difference?}

Don't know much about the different types of Scamps, but AFAIK the Moke was the original Austin/Morris version and had a pressed steel type monocoque, not a box section chassis....hence they have mostly rotted away.

NS Dev - 10/2/06 at 01:40 PM

mate at college had a scamp (rebuilt it from a effing wreck!) with a tweaky metro turbo engine in it and a Jack Knight box, went surprisingly well and was right hoot in the summer!

tadltd - 10/2/06 at 07:46 PM

MAD!

Put a bike engine in it!

Benzine - 11/2/06 at 12:09 AM

Don't tempt me

MikeRJ - 11/2/06 at 07:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iank

Definately a Scamp, look at the square wheel arches.

iank - 11/2/06 at 08:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by iank

Definately a Scamp, look at the square wheel arches.

Bang to rights
The front end is nothing I've ever seen put on a scamp though.

Ferg - 11/2/06 at 12:51 PM

I put a Moke front on a MK1
Scamp many years ago. It may be the same one, I'm off to find some pictures!

Ferg - 11/2/06 at 01:14 PM

Well. No sign of the reg plate and I can't remember it.....it was about 1984! I've got a great Guinness jumper (knitted by my Mum) and my mate Andy looks suitably deranged. The remains of a Herald Estate in light-blue adorn the garden. We used to collect them and scrap them for fun, although a Convertible Herald in Midnight Blue donated it's chassis for my Burlington Arrow.

Benzine - 11/2/06 at 01:19 PM

Cool. What engine did it have in it?

Ferg - 11/2/06 at 03:21 PM

A little 998 I think.
Check out those Weller Steel wheels and Colway M&S Tyres!!!
Two-Pack red paint and we glued ribbed rubber mat all over the floors. I also remember that we put the headlights at a kind of random width in that home-made front panel and then decided to fit a genuine moke grille. Needless to say it wouldn't fit between the lights and we had to cut and shut it....not easy.