Board logo

Electric Reverse Vid
Toprivetguns - 21/4/12 at 03:47 PM

Hi guys,

Got round to welding my brackets today for my reverse gear. Works an absolute treat ! Been a long road learning how to weld and which starter motors to use, but a big thanks to all those who helped and posted pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GfBVKb60Fg&feature=youtu.be

Cheers

Andy

[Edited on 21/4/12 by Toprivetguns]

Dangle_kt - 21/4/12 at 04:21 PM

WARNING - Turn your speakers down before pressing play. I just nearly feel off my chair

Well done, looks a tidy job.

leeswesty - 21/4/12 at 04:51 PM

Looks good mate

Coopz - 21/4/12 at 08:09 PM

That actually sounds incredibly smooth! I now refuse to use mine (IVA Pass) as it scares the s**t out of me! and will duly fall off at some point, It sounds like a bag of bolts in a tumble drier on spin

Toprivetguns - 23/4/12 at 09:50 AM

Cheers guys,

Spent quite a bit of time lining up the brackets relative to how the teeth would engage. Apologizes for the noise, Its mostly down to the starter motor.

yellowcab - 23/4/12 at 09:12 PM

shit the bed that woke the wife up!!! scared the crap outta me!

Sounds great mind, very smooth...

rb968 - 23/4/12 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Coopz
That actually sounds incredibly smooth! I now refuse to use mine (IVA Pass) as it scares the s**t out of me! and will duly fall off at some point, It sounds like a bag of bolts in a tumble drier on spin

This made me laugh.....mine's the same.

Worked great with no load on it and when it was a rolling chassis. Now with the finished car it sounds like its eating itself and/or will set on fire if used more than a few seconds. Emergency use only.

If my engine survives a few trackdays this year I might look at a reverse box.

Rich

PS Looks good though and nice and smooth

Toprivetguns - 23/4/12 at 11:32 PM

Apologies for the sound again. Next is a protecting cover for the spur gear. Not to keen on that spinning so close to my rear end !

loony - 24/4/12 at 06:24 AM

What "power" has your starter motor ?
If I'm right it has 0,9-1,1kW... (based on your description under video)

On my topic I was wondering if this is enough, so maybe I will get answer

coyoteboy - 24/4/12 at 09:21 AM

You need a new mug.

Toprivetguns - 24/4/12 at 10:02 AM

haha, I was waiting for someone to spot that.

Lucas, Its a standard Golf MK4 1.4 GL starter motor. Im unsure about its kw rating, sorry.

TimEllershaw - 24/4/12 at 10:50 AM

Just curious :

Do you have some sort of control of the speed on these things, or is it just an on-off button ?

Tim.

Toprivetguns - 24/4/12 at 11:16 AM

At the moment its just a switch.

Im sure you can make it variable if you wish, but once the motor is under load im sure the on/off switch will be fine.