Board logo

C20XE exhaust manifold
jaik - 12/6/12 at 08:44 PM

My Redtop currently has a stock manifold which has been cut and welded to fit the Indy. The welds aren't great and one of them has developed a sizeable hole.

Rather than patching it up, I'm considering getting a stainless manifold made. I'll be getting the car mapped in the next month or so, so it seems like the best time to do it.

Does anyone know what diameter and length of primaries I should go for, or know an easy way to calculate them? I was thinking of moving to a 4-1 as I'm sure there will still be plenty of torque low down for such a light car. Everything's stock except for the intake, which is running GSX-R throttle bodies with fuel injection.

Can anyone recommend someone to actually make a manifold somewhere vaguely near south Manchester?

I was expecting it to cost around £500, does that sound about right?

Ben_Copeland - 12/6/12 at 08:53 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=20308

Worth having a read.

Powerspeed charge £1000 for their custom stainless exhaust so £500 might be on the cheap side

perksy - 12/6/12 at 09:02 PM

Don't know if it will help but this is the SBD system (made by BTB) on my old XE powered Westy

jaik - 12/6/12 at 09:04 PM

That's a cracking read, thanks £1000 sounds a little much for my budget though, hmm

jaik - 12/6/12 at 09:07 PM

That looks lovely, perksy. Do you know if it'd fit an Indy? Do you mind me asking how much it cost?

Wheels244 - 12/6/12 at 09:14 PM

Here's mine - paid for by Ned

another angle
another angle

on trailer again
on trailer again

Pat_T - 12/6/12 at 09:15 PM

I now own Nat's (NS Dev) Stuart Taylor, he made the manifold DIY and it is a work of art!

Check my photo archive and this thread for details:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=44896

if you want me to take any more photos/measurements just let me know.

Patrick

perksy - 12/6/12 at 09:23 PM

Believe SBD have stopped selling them for Westfields but BTB have still got the jigs and will make one for a price if asked
There not cheap though and were more expensive than Simpsons

The manifold on mine was about £450 from SBD and that was 8 years ago

*If* you could source a secondhand one you might be able to get it modified to fit your car, but they very rarely become available secondhand

I'm Sure i've seen some posts on here about folks having manifolds made in stainless by decent companies for reasonable money though ?

Sorry, i never measured the lengths of the primaries so can't help with dimensions

stevegough - 12/6/12 at 09:32 PM

I still have my original steel one in the garage if its any use to you - not pretty, but it'll do the job.

My S/Steel 4 into one cost me £150 2 years ago - you could have this for just £25 posted. (Or a tenner if you collect).

My Stainless one (it nearly looks like the other one now!!)

jaik - 18/6/12 at 07:57 PM

Any tips on getting a push-fit silencer off? The thing's tight as a duck's rear end.

Wheels244 - 18/6/12 at 08:01 PM

Heat

jaik - 5/7/12 at 07:45 PM

Well, I've been away for a bit hooning round the Alps in the 328 Touring with a group of friends, but I'm back and, with the aid of a blowtorch, have the silencer and manifold removed. The cracking is worse than I thought now I can see it properly, so I think it'll be best having the welds re-done from scratch, which I'm hopefully having done on Saturday.

Unfortunately, the deeper you dig, the more problems you find, it seems. The exhaust valves on cylinder 4 are looking decidedly whiter than they should. I'll check the spark plug to see if it's the same colour and check the throttle body is functioning in line with the others. Then what's the next step? Head off to investigate? Check injectors?