Board logo

Type9 Reverse Detent
DH2 - 2/1/13 at 10:08 AM

The block in the tailhousing on my Type9, which is part of reverse detent mechanism (in conjunction with the lever), is missing.
I have a spare box, but cannot fathom a good method to get the damn thing out?
Or where I might procure a replacement?

DH2

phil m - 2/1/13 at 10:30 AM

if it's the same as the 4 speed box, then take out the gear lever and you should be able to see it through this hole. Then use a long drift to tap it out backwards.

alladdin - 2/1/13 at 10:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DH2
The block in the tailhousing on my Type9, which is part of reverse detent mechanism (in conjunction with the lever), is missing.
I have a spare box, but cannot fathom a good method to get the damn thing out?
Or where I might procure a replacement?

DH2

if your after the plastic saddle part, i see them on ebay.

DH2 - 2/1/13 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by phil m
if it's the same as the 4 speed box, then take out the gear lever and you should be able to see it through this hole. Then use a long drift to tap it out backwards.

I have the lever out, but I cannot get any purchase on the detent block to be able to whack it out... I can see I may have to fabricate something to be able to get a puller on it, which would be a bit tedious.

quote:
Originally posted by alladdin
if your after the plastic saddle part, i see them on ebay.

No, not the saddle, there is a metal block which should be in that slot to the top right of my photo - this stops the lever in the 1st-2nd gear plane, unless you push down to get over to reverse. Right now, it's not at all easy to get 1st!

DH2

alladdin - 2/1/13 at 11:57 AM

ok, got you now.

can you drill/tap and use a slide hammer ?

phil m - 2/1/13 at 12:38 PM

Think it's one of these

[img][/img]

[Edited on 2/1/13 by phil m]

DH2 - 2/1/13 at 03:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by phil m
Think it's one of these

That's where it went!!!
I've been struggling to think why anyone would want to remove it...

David Jenkins - 2/1/13 at 04:22 PM

I removed mine by first removing the rear cover by tapping a "drift" from the gearstick side (my drift was actually a length of wood - the cover is only a stamped bit of tin). Then I put a long steel bar through the gearstick hole, held the bottem end against the end of the detent and smacked the bar with a hammer, just above the gearstick hole. This should shift the detent as it's only wedged in.

One warning - when it does shift it will fly across the garage and probably land in the most inconvenient place! (voice of experience).

note: easier to do than explain...

DH2 - 2/1/13 at 06:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I removed mine by first removing the rear cover by tapping a "drift" from the gearstick side (my drift was actually a length of wood - the cover is only a stamped bit of tin). Then I put a long steel bar through the gearstick hole, held the bottem end against the end of the detent and smacked the bar with a hammer, just above the gearstick hole. This should shift the detent as it's only wedged in.

One warning - when it does shift it will fly across the garage and probably land in the most inconvenient place! (voice of experience).

note: easier to do than explain...

Thanks. I tried that by leaning on a gert-big screwdriver. Might need to try something a bit more brutal, but access through the top hole is a bit limited.

DH2

perksy - 2/1/13 at 07:08 PM

They can be a bugger to get out

Last one i did i used my multitool to grind a small 'slot' in it and then knocked it out with a drift

David Jenkins - 2/1/13 at 10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DH2
Thanks. I tried that by leaning on a gert-big screwdriver. Might need to try something a bit more brutal, but access through the top hole is a bit limited.

DH2

It won't lever out... I used steel bar around 15mm x 5mm to get behind the detent. The bar was around 1 metre long - I held the top, and hit it as low as I could manage. It's quite violent when it does go!