Board logo

I'm back ! (picture heavy)
clairetoo - 5/9/10 at 06:13 PM

I'm back .......................... from a two week mountain thrash of fun , sun , and........snow !
The Fury ran well - I even managed a stunning 38mpg cruising , but I have to say after more use/abuse in two weeks that a lot of cars get in a year - it needs a bit of TLC................
I headed for the Stelvio pass first - where an early evening blast on empty roads got me up , and back down , in about 45 mins

Stelvio.......
Stelvio.......

Then off to Cortina , where I found some of the best driving roads (and sun ! )

Mountain top
Mountain top

I came back via Obergurgl (OMG what a buzz the Passo Rombo is ) , then on to the Stelvio , and damn it was cold.......I awoke to fresh snow on the mountains around the campsite So it was off to find the sun for me !

Snow
Snow

Then to finish off , I found a decent campsite at Dunkirk , right next to the beach and grabbed some rays

Day at the beach
Day at the beach

I even squeezed in a day at the Sinzheim transport museum on the way through Germany - and went on both Concord , and Conkordski ! !

RAYLEE29 - 5/9/10 at 06:23 PM

Wow that looks fantastic.
Ray

Dangle_kt - 5/9/10 at 06:23 PM

that looks amazing!

Where did you put your tent and stuff? (I notice you went to a campsite - I'm guessing you didnt jus unhook the caravan for the photos? )

What is your car like noise wise? Wondering if a long run twists your noodle at all?

RichardK - 5/9/10 at 06:25 PM

I am green with envy!

Sounds like you had a blast, maybe one day I'll have the balls to do something like that.

Cheers

Rich

MakeEverything - 5/9/10 at 06:27 PM

Awesome. Did you go on your own?

clairetoo - 5/9/10 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
that looks amazing!

Where did you put your tent and stuff? (I notice you went to a campsite - I'm guessing you didnt jus unhook the caravan for the photos? )

What is your car like noise wise? Wondering if a long run twists your noodle at all?

The tent (and all my camping gear) fits in the boot space - I lowered the boot floor when I fitted the larger (45 litres) tank - then tools and stuff in the passenger footwell , with food and odds and ends in the passenger seat
As for noise - I just pop in some ear plugs for the longer runs (mainly for the wind noise) , then all I hear is a bit of a whine from the worn gearbox (and also the diff after all those passes ! )

clairetoo - 5/9/10 at 06:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything

Yep - just lill' ol' me

MakeEverything - 5/9/10 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything

Yep - just lill' ol' me

Awesome. Id like to do that when mine is finished. a life of solutude...... alone.....

adithorp - 5/9/10 at 06:50 PM

At least you got to the Stelvio. We got stuck in a blizzard 3/4's the way up the Grimsel Pass in June.

Slide show

Riskyshift - 5/9/10 at 06:52 PM

Wow, looks a fantastic trip! How many miles??

Ian

clairetoo - 5/9/10 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Riskyshift
Wow, looks a fantastic trip! How many miles??

Ian

Far too many.............and 76 hours behind the wheel !

[Edited on 5/9/10 by clairetoo]

Riskyshift - 5/9/10 at 07:25 PM

Excellent! would have well and truly blown my limited mileage policy though..
Ian

bi22le - 5/9/10 at 08:05 PM

Inspiration for us all!!

I went to Nurburgring, does that count!

LBMEFM - 5/9/10 at 08:13 PM

Stunning scenery-brilliant

mangogrooveworkshop - 5/9/10 at 11:22 PM

You spoiled little so and so...
Im so green
Swizzerland is fab....

I so wanted to do that this year but we got an new job and we got into crashed into head on at Kenmore.....dam soft roader got a seven shape nose dent in its frontend.
Never mind next year

RK - 6/9/10 at 12:50 AM

oh, that doesn't sound very good. You're all lucky to be able to drive your cars on the road. Here I don't think it would be safe, even if I could. The soccer mum's just don't look around often enough.

Dave Ashurst - 6/9/10 at 05:13 AM

When did you get back? I was on the norfolkline ferry from dunkirk in the locost on tuesday night. Mine was only a commuting trip though.

speedyxjs - 6/9/10 at 07:08 AM

I did a similar run last year in the tin top and would love to take the locost when its finished. There are some fantastic roads round that part of the world.

iti_uk - 6/9/10 at 07:40 AM

Those roads look nice - kinda remids me of my daily commute...

Chris

[Edited on 6/9/2010 by iti_uk]

mrwibble - 6/9/10 at 10:25 AM

congrats on your road trip. sounds brilliant, must of been amazing, is this the first time you've taken your fury on such a long journey?

wondered how the weather held out, that one pic looks a bit iffy...

clairetoo - 6/9/10 at 03:47 PM

Not the first time - and certainly wont be the last !
I was last up and down the Stelvio when it was crossflow powered - and I ended up stuffing it into a mountain
But this time , the balance/power delivery/gearing was spot on - a bit of minor tweaking to do , then start saving for next year !
I had to get away from the mountains as the snow was a bit much - and it rained all the way through Germany on the way down , but when the sun shone it was epic

[Edited on 6/9/10 by clairetoo]