Board logo

The Elite Pulse
eddie99 - 2/2/13 at 08:45 PM

Hi Everyone,

This project has been kept vaguely quiet but as things are progressing, its time to release some information. Anyway dont want to go into too much unnecessary detail so here is a brief summary.

We have been and currently are designing and manufacturing a new seven styled car. The car is being built to compete with the Caterham CSR on the track. However also being designing with different engine decisions and other options such as putting one on the road thought about. The aim is to manufacture a new more modern seven styled car with 100% quality at all times. We have spent the last 5months designing, building and Jigging the chassis to be repeatable.

The first one is being built at the moment with a 245bhp duratec engine, this will be available for arrive and drive in various championships but primarily Magnificent sevens and 750 Sport specials.

Quick Spec:
Brazed spaceframe chassis
Double adjustable dampers
Pushrod both front and rear
245bhp duratec engine
Type 9 heavy duty SC/CR gearbox
LSD Diff
AP Calipers
FIA approved roll cage
Quick rack
Aero wishbones
Our own design billet uprights and hubs
Front aluminium bulkhead that mounts the steering rack and inboard push rod dampers.

Anyway a picture speaks a thousand words so these are pictures from last night when we got the final brazed chassis back from the powdercoaters.

Engine Mounts, Gearbox Mount and removable parts of the chassis:

Here is the shiny duratec going in it:

Todays job was to cut and fit the Aluminium T6 floor:

With a removalable section to get access and remove the gearbox:

Other pics are on our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

We also do regular updates to twitter @elitemotoreng

The car will be testing in March so its a relatively quick build. If you have any questions, feel free to u2u/email/call/post etc..

[Edited on 2/2/13 by eddie99]

mookaloid - 2/2/13 at 09:00 PM

I'm liking that

Wheels244 - 2/2/13 at 09:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I'm liking that

+1

Looking forward to seeing the finished result

JoelP - 2/2/13 at 09:15 PM

Think we can safely say that that scuttle isn't going to bend!

hootsno1 - 2/2/13 at 09:43 PM

Looks good Ed cant wait to see it in the flesh

TimC - 2/2/13 at 10:44 PM

Fair play Ed, that looks tasty.

Weight of chassis?

eddie99 - 2/2/13 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Fair play Ed, that looks tasty.

Weight of chassis?

Chassis alone is yet to be weighed accurately but I think about 60kg, this one is ERW, could be done under 50kg in 4130 steel

However it's the add ons that are important, T6 ally floor pan weighed 10kg

Will get the chassis on the scales ASAP

INDY BIRD - 2/2/13 at 11:05 PM

Hi ed

Is it a bolt on roll cage?

Looking good so far I'm sure your getting excited,

Sean

eddie99 - 2/2/13 at 11:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
Hi ed

Is it a bolt on roll cage?

Looking good so far I'm sure your getting excited,

Sean

Hi Sean,
Yep bolt on roll cage, dropped it off at the powdercoaters when I picked up chassis so will post pics when I get it back this week.
Yes getting excited but still a lot of hard work to go.
Thanks
Ed

Andy B - 3/2/13 at 12:09 AM

Looking good Ed and a very solid take on a seven layout, is it a Steve Wills chassis, I know when he worked for me that he favoured brazed chassis over welded and coming from the world of National Hotrods he was capable of producing some very robust kit

James - 3/2/13 at 12:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Think we can safely say that that scuttle isn't going to bend!

Lol! That was my thought too!

Looks really good Eddie.

Keep us up to date with the progress!

Macbeast - 3/2/13 at 06:01 AM

Looks awesome.
Have you checked whether Lotus have copyrighted the name " Elite " ? (along with all other words beginning with " E " )

jeffw - 3/2/13 at 07:35 AM

And that Keith hasn't registered 'Pulse' in connection with Kit Cars

rash12 - 3/2/13 at 08:51 AM

Quick Spec:
as in brass ? why not welded just curious i though braze was a mot no no

40inches - 3/2/13 at 10:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rash12
Quick Spec:

Not brass, usually silicone bronze and every bit as strong as Mig or Tig welding, if done properly
Description
Description

A more accurate term would be Bronze Welding.

[Edited on 3-2-13 by 40inches]

R1 STRIKER - 3/2/13 at 10:16 AM

Didn't caterham used to braze their chassis? Maybe still do, not sure.

dave1888 - 3/2/13 at 10:53 AM

I like the cup holders in the last photo.

eddie99 - 3/2/13 at 11:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Andy B
Looking good Ed and a very solid take on a seven layout, is it a Steve Wills chassis, I know when he worked for me that he favoured brazed chassis over welded and coming from the world of National Hotrods he was capable of producing some very robust kit

Thanks Andy, Yep Steve is fabricating the chassis. His fabricating skills still continue to impress me!

eddie99 - 3/2/13 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Looks awesome.
Have you checked whether Lotus have copyrighted the name " Elite " ? (along with all other words beginning with " E " )

Checked both Elite and Pulse a while back and neither were trademarked within engineering. I do plan on trademarking them myself, should get round to it really.

eddie99 - 3/2/13 at 11:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rash12
Quick Spec:

As above, if Brazed properly then its just as strong but with other advantages such as:

Pretty much just as fast as MIG but looks much neater. (We were going to TIG but i didnt think its worth the extra time)
Great for removing/replacing tubes, heat up each end and the tube pops out. This has been great during this prototype chassis.
Also ideal when a chassis gets crashed in the future.
Even though the heat is more widely spread, it doesn't create high stress concentrated areas like MIG and TIG do.

And lastly its unique, people loved it when all the caterhams were brazed and on caterham forums, its something they miss.

I cant see it being a problem through IVA/MOT, as above caterhams were all brazed. In the racing world, many single seaters are brazed too.

[Edited on 3/2/13 by eddie99]

russbost - 3/2/13 at 11:20 AM

Looking great Ed!
Re the MoT/brazing issue, you aren't allowed to braze a plate onto an area for rust or accident damage repair, but that is really referring to steel monocoque designs as virtually all modern cars are. No issues where the braze/bronze welding is part of the design & structure of the chassis.

Hector.Brocklebank - 3/2/13 at 11:21 AM

The old guard "established" kit makers must be looking on at your car and the Excellent stuff coming out of the AB Performance workshop with great dismay.

As I look at these pictures, and Andy Bates pictures on face-book, they are showing a new way of thinking, and a much more professional attitude and approach.

Well done I wish you Every Success

Regards

gavin174 - 3/2/13 at 04:44 PM

put me down for chassis number 2 please Ed...

but can I pay you weekly....

eddie99 - 3/2/13 at 09:13 PM

Thanks for the great comments, I'll get some progress pics put up in a couple of days

phelpsa - 3/2/13 at 09:36 PM

I like that. Some neat bits of design in that chassis.

melly-g - 4/2/13 at 06:23 AM

I Like it!
No cutout for the sump? dry sump I presume? must be tight to the floor?
Look forward to seeing this finished.
Mel.

eddie99 - 4/2/13 at 10:00 AM

Hi Mel,
Yes it is dry sumped, actually its the bottom of the bell housing (lowest part) that dictated the engine height, was as low as we could get it all.
Thanks
Ed

eddie99 - 11/2/13 at 04:49 PM

Had some people asking so thought i'd put up a little update.

Had a delay sorting out the internals for the clutch slave cylinder. Short story is the raceline bell housing wasn't designed to use a twin plate clutch. Couple of days later ended up with an AP slave cylinder with an adaptor in place.

Quick released the bell housing for quick removal of the gearbox.
1 ally panel left to make, ended up having 15 ally panels for easy access. Mostly removable. Had them all powder coated. A few fitted.
Engine, Gearbox, Prop and Diff all in.
Main wiring loom in and routed.

Now this weeks main job is the exhaust.

eddie99 - 16/2/13 at 08:48 PM

2 of the big jobs done this week, Exhaust and Fuel tank.
Clutch all bled and working was a big relief, Now for a week of lots of small jobs.

Few showing some of the ally panels:

Engine In, Exhaust and Cylinders on:

Fuel tank in and also shows rear damper/rocker positioning:

Hope you all like. Comments welcome.

sdh2903 - 16/2/13 at 08:54 PM

All looks great, very well engineered.

I hate to lower the tone on a thread like this but have you thought of costs for the finished article and would you be looking at producing kits for road use?

Steve

eddie99 - 16/2/13 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
All looks great, very well engineered.

I hate to lower the tone on a thread like this but have you thought of costs for the finished article and would you be looking at producing kits for road use?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes we have thought about producing kits for road use. We are planning on putting this first car through IVA (as well as racing) to prove that it can be a road car. Ideally we would do a poly bushed kit for road as i think the rod end setup will be rather harsh.

Prices, cant say for sure till we have the finished car, However certain parts like chassis will be under £1500. Unfortunately its the corners (billet uprights, hubs and Ap calipers) that put the price up.

If your after any more info, don't hesitate to give me a call on 0759048065.

Kind Regards
Ed

eddie99 - 25/2/13 at 09:25 PM

Just a quick update.

Had a long day Saturday getting most of the wiring done, Mounting fuse box, relays, ECU, Logger etc...
Managed to get majority of the car wired up, just got a few bits left to finish up.
Pedals all in, dry sump tank modded and in.
Front bulkhead cut and on the car, rack mounted.
Prototype dash in, will do the real one this week.

Now got to mount radiator and oil cooler then plumb up brake lines, fuel/oil and water pipes.
Aiming for the first start up this weekend coming.
Oh and at the same time, trying to sort out the uprights/hubs/drive flanges machining with the machine shop.

eddie99 - 4/3/13 at 10:01 PM

Bit of an update:

Got some more ally panels powder coated, most of the interior panels fitted.
Radiator mounted
Steering all done and in
Dash mk2 done and in
Loom finished and wrapped, can't do any more wiring till bodywork is on with lights etc..
Cage back from powdercoaters and on the car.

I'll try and get some pics over the next couple of days.

eddie99 - 6/3/13 at 10:17 PM

Put some pics up on the facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323?ref=hl

Anyway heres a couple:

Dash and steering in:

Cage on:

Here she was this morning:

[Edited on 6/3/13 by eddie99]

Twin40 - 8/3/13 at 10:37 AM

Looks fantastic eddie, can't wait to see the suspension all fitted on!

Top work.

eddie99 - 8/3/13 at 04:15 PM

Thanks Clive, Shouldnt be too far away, hope to have uprights/hubs back from the machine shop in 10days time.

Kind Regards
Ed

eddie99 - 24/3/13 at 07:54 PM

Bit of an update.

Got oil system, fuel system, cooling system all plumbed up. Electrics finished and ran the engine yesterday for the first time. Always a great moment.

Brake pipes all in, Air filter fitted, fire extinguisher fitted, lots of other little jobs done. Anyway on Thursday, all our machining turned up from the machine shop so, spent the last few days also messing about with that, stripping and rebuilding bearings etc..

Anyways, heres some pics:

Front and Rear Upright/hub:

Same again from other side:

Mockup of a rear with floating disc and AP Caliper:

Pic from other side showing drive flange:

Pair of front lower aero section wishbones:

This is a little feature that allows us to run the front brake pipes through the front lower wishbone keeping things neat and tidy:

Oh and heres a front lower wishbone mocked up on the chassis:

Now its cracking on with getting it rolling, got to make the top wishbones, pushrods/rockers etc..

Hope you all like it.

[Edited on 24/3/13 by eddie99]

theduck - 24/3/13 at 09:01 PM

Live that dash! Assume you will be either changing the switches or fitting switch guards for IVA?

eddie99 - 24/3/13 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theduck
Live that dash! Assume you will be either changing the switches or fitting switch guards for IVA?

Yes i was hoping the waterproof covers for the toggle switches would pass IVA? (Havent looked into it yet) Otherwise some sort of switch guards.

tilly819 - 24/3/13 at 10:17 PM

I must say it is SO refreshing to see some engineering going into these cars at last, between this and the work of Mr Bates its a real pleasure to read and view the progress.

Keep up the good work

Tilly

eddie99 - 30/3/13 at 11:59 PM

Thanks Tilly,

Heres the mockup of our front corner, haven't got around to making the aero section pushrods or track rods yet:

snapper - 31/3/13 at 07:18 AM

How much up and down movement do you get with the rosejoints mounted in that plane?
Without wider mounts and misalignment washers it looks like they will lock at a few degrees!

[Edited on 31/3/13 by snapper]

eddie99 - 31/3/13 at 11:35 AM

Hi Paul,

With the setup seen above, the upright can move through a 100mm+ sweep, however the operating range on this car is +/-25mm. So more than double required.

The above setup does have top hats fitted, the angle of the shot might not have been the best one.

Using this setup also gives the rod ends the plain they are designed to run in.

Kind Regards
Ed

[Edited on 31/3/13 by eddie99]

theduck - 31/3/13 at 12:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
quote:

Yes i was hoping the waterproof covers for the toggle switches would pass IVA? (Havent looked into it yet) Otherwise some sort of switch guards.

Pretty sure you will need switch guards. Only thing BMW mini is good for ;-)

eddie99 - 16/4/13 at 01:59 PM

Following this thread: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=180630

The Elite Pulse will be launched at Stoneleigh.

Hall 1, Stand n.17. Come and say hello.

theduck - 16/4/13 at 05:49 PM

Will there be anymore updates before the show or is it top secret until the unveiling now?

eddie99 - 16/4/13 at 10:10 PM

Yep, Wont be posting any more pics till Stoneleigh

eddie99 - 7/5/13 at 07:35 PM

Had a good show at stoneleigh so time for some updates, was a long couple of weeks but managed to get it to Stoneleigh:

Here it was before stickering:

Front corner shots:

Engine bay:

Rear suspension:

Front dampers:

And finally our mag seven driver in the car:

Hope you all like the car.

theduck - 7/5/13 at 07:45 PM

Didn't get chance to speak to you at stoneleigh (you were too busy!) but I have to say I was very impressed with the car!

Ivan - 8/5/13 at 07:35 AM

Yup - I like it.

scootz - 8/5/13 at 07:46 AM

For some reason I was thought that the 'Pulse' was going to be an LMP style car. I really should concentrate more!

maccmike - 8/5/13 at 07:50 AM

Utterly stunning and a beautiful build. thanks for sharing.

eddie99 - 8/5/13 at 05:34 PM

Thanks for the nice comments, sorry didn't get a chance to chat. Had a pretty hectic weekend....

eddie99 - 3/6/13 at 08:54 AM

Well, this weekend the Pulse had its first race at Anglesey.

Finished P10 both races out of 28 cars. P1 in class.

Car behaves well, Havent really got around to fine tuning the setup so now the developments start.

theduck - 3/6/13 at 09:10 AM

P1 in class in its first race is bloody good going!

eddie99 - 3/6/13 at 05:42 PM

quote:
P1 in class in its first race is bloody good going!

Yeah we were chuffed with the result, back out end of the month at Cadwell, we are only going to get quicker

eddie99 - 27/6/13 at 09:44 PM

The car is out at cadwell racing this Saturday, have a few spare tickets if anyone fancies coming along

eddie99 - 11/8/13 at 04:05 PM

The car has been steadily developing over the last weeks/months...

Infill passenger panel and drivers door:

Mesh fitted, cooling ducting work has been carried out, winglets also added:

Some panels fitted to tidy things up, exhaust shield fitted, rear floor/diffuser fitted etc..:

On and in the meantime, Engine and box have been out multiple times... Now its ready for dyno'ing, restickering and back on track.

We will be starting a second chassis soon for a road car, hopefully with the new Ford 1.6 Ecooboost engine.

eddie99 - 1/1/14 at 05:05 PM

The car is on Stand 19264 at Autosport next week at the NEC, So come and say hello. Its nearly back together, looking a bit different than it did...

eddie99 - 29/7/14 at 03:06 PM

5/8 pole positions so far this year, 6 x class wins, 1 x 2nd and 1 DNF.

Overall results have been 1 x 1st, 2 x 2nd, 3 x 3rd and 1 x 4th

Cars going well, looking forward to the last 3 rounds at Silverstone, Cadwell and Donny.

eddie99 - 6/10/14 at 09:21 PM

Pretty awesome year we've just had in 750MC Sports Specials

Scored the most points.

13/14 finishes

5/7 Lap records taken

The car is available for arrive and drive in 2015 and we also have a mega deal on offer for a Pulse rolling chassis

bi22le - 7/10/14 at 07:06 AM

Well done Ed.

I hope this works well as a platform for you to build on. New cars, new projects or just more of the same good stuff