Board logo

Kitcar show Stafford september 2010 Dissapointment
m0csi - 18/9/10 at 07:13 PM

First time for me ... I am building McSorley V6 24V Cosworth ... Not a single Locost with this engine ,,, infact very poor ... was there at 1200 till 1530 hrs ... The £10 charge was very harsh ... where was all the stalls ... only really 2 main stalls ... Value for money was pretty disgusting ... Will only be going again with my car when finnished and will not be paying ever again ... you lads who got in for free thats if you did .. so you should ,,, I thought it was very poor ... But all could be redeemed on Sunday ... Thanks ... Mike ...

[Edited on 18-9-10 by m0csi]

stevebubs - 18/9/10 at 07:41 PM

Poor show seems to be the general consensus across all the boards...

Apparently they were trying to charge kit owners to get into the hall, also...

Guessing the show has had a poorer turnout than expected from both sides and they've been trying to recoup as much of their money as possible to reduce their losses.

Davegtst - 18/9/10 at 08:13 PM

Glad i didn't go now. I was hoping to get some seats on the cheap but it was a bit far from me really.

Bumble - 18/9/10 at 08:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
Glad i didn't go now. I was hoping to get some seats on the cheap but it was a bit far from me really.

Same as that ^^^^ 2hr drive for me and I was in two minds today whether to go or not......thought I'd wait and see some feedback on here first and then maybe go Sunday........won't be bothering now....I'll hold on for Exeter as I'm after a new silencer and a few other bits n bobs!!
Thans,
Matt

gavin174 - 18/9/10 at 08:49 PM

we had a 6 hour round trip..

very dissappointed..

the organisers were "allegedley" ringing round last week offering spaces to trade at reduced rate trying to fill the hall

it didnt work.

apparently the organisers have upset some of the usual trade stands and they are boycotting....

there is a rumour that exeter could be cancelled..

scootz - 18/9/10 at 09:02 PM

Were there many punters there?

Dusty - 18/9/10 at 09:25 PM

This poor show is down to Tanner. Nothing wrong with kit car shows per se.
Exeter is a completely different ball game and is always good. I would place it second only to Stoneleigh lately since Newark has run down a bit these last couple of years. Very surprised to hear there are rumours of cancellation.

m8kwr - 18/9/10 at 09:38 PM

I live 4 miles away and I don't bother going!!!

Waste of £10, if I had a kit car and got in free, instead of bits in my garage and I might bother driving past it and spending £10 in fuel as there are some nice roads that side of stafford

kipper - 18/9/10 at 09:38 PM

I am glad this has been posted here as I was going to go to the show Sunday , but after attending the BMF motorcycle rally today (Sat) and being more than PIXXED off at being charged 13 pounds entry I don't think I will bother.
Denis.

Chippy - 18/9/10 at 10:29 PM

quote:

I am building McSorley V6 24V Cosworth ... Not a single Locost with this engine

Here's one for you. Cheers Ray

Engine
Engine

[Edited on 18-9-10 by Chippy]

Dopdog - 18/9/10 at 10:51 PM

for the last few years they have always been a dissapointment

steve m - 19/9/10 at 01:57 AM

I cant comment on the staford show as i dont think i ever went to it, however i think the decline was happening several years ago, and is not somthing new
in 1999 and 2000, Stonleigh, Newark, Donnington, Exeter, were all good shows

Quite a few of us southeners frequented them often, but 2001, i for one was getting bored, the shows them selves were getting staid, and lack of traders, and my last show Newark 2002, i stayed about 3 hours, and came home

Perhaps the cycle of events is changing

or perhaps the more shows we frequent,, the more we crave for more

I also now could not envisage the long haul travel in my 7 loaded up with camping gear, to be freezing my bits off at night, just to see some shiney cars that i would never be intrested in any way

Steve

s6otty - 19/9/10 at 06:49 AM

That's made my mind up, was going to venture down today, but I'll log some build hours instead!

I've only ever been to Stoneleigh, and guess that's where I'll be sticking to. Shame really, I was hoping to do some shopping!!!!!!!!!

S

Catatomic - 19/9/10 at 06:57 AM

Oh dear! It seems I have some spare time today! Oh well, there's always donington
See you all at a better show.

joemotion - 19/9/10 at 07:14 AM

We just said we had a car and got in to the halls - tenner for two. They didnt check if we had a car so just go in and say you have one and you should be fine!

Bit poor in there to be honest but had a good chat about a cage with Gary i think from Tiger so was worth it

Nash - 19/9/10 at 08:48 AM

Travelled all the way from East Kent (450 mile round trip). Very disappointed with the show but always nice to mingle with like minded anoraks

Hope Exeter isn't cancelled as it was a good show last year (apart from the weather) and its a month earlier this year.

......Neil

MakeEverything - 19/9/10 at 09:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by m0csi
First time for me ... I am building McSorley V6 24V Cosworth ... Not a single Locost with this engine ,,, infact very poor ... was there at 1200 till 1530 hrs ... The £10 charge was very harsh ... where was all the stalls ... only really 2 main stalls ... Value for money was pretty disgusting ... Will only be going again with my car when finnished and will not be paying ever again ... you lads who got in for free thats if you did .. so you should ,,, I thought it was very poor ... But all could be redeemed on Sunday ... Thanks ... Mike ...

There are a few 24V Cosworth cars around, but i found that they were never at the shows when i went either. Chippy (Above) has a quality finished car from the pictures, and is very helpful. I gave up on the 24V because of the time it was taking to mate it to a transaxle for mid-mounting.

Glad i didnt go either. Ive been to a few now and i wont be going to Detling again either. Might see if i can give Exeter some of my time though. Stoneleigh seems to be the main show each year, and i stayed for two days at Newark which was cold, and not brilliant.

Strontium Dog - 19/9/10 at 09:22 AM

I've just got back from Rally Day at Castle Combe with the GT4DC. It was a very good event as usual but we did note that there were less people walking around than usual. Opie oils were conspicuous by their absence and although a fabulous warm sunny day it just seemed less busy than usual.

People have less money to spend and petrol costs a lot more than it did a little while ago, I suspect this may effect a lot of events over the next few years

MakeEverything - 19/9/10 at 09:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
quote:

I am building McSorley V6 24V Cosworth ... Not a single Locost with this engine

Here's one for you. Cheers Ray

Engine
Engine

[Edited on 18-9-10 by Chippy]

Chippy, that does look awesome. Really wish i had more time to put mine in!

SPYDER - 19/9/10 at 11:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joemotion
We just said we had a car and got in to the halls - tenner for two

We were charged £5 each as well, only to find out later that many kit car drivers got in free.
We went back to the desk and got a refund.
We were mightily disappointed with what was on offer inside.
Anyone who paid £10 would be mortified!
The chance to meet and share ideas with like-minded kit builders and owners outside the hall is all that makes Stafford worthwhile.
Big thankyou to the JPSCC for supplying lunch.

Geoff.

jollygreengiant - 19/9/10 at 11:20 AM

Yes I must admit I, and the rest of our little (Luego) group, were rather disapointed at the low number of trade stands that we had to, or were expected to, pay £10 to go and see without any quibbling. To be honest there was no one there that you couldn't have got a good next day service from over the internet.

Any way chap, you might also have a gander at NeilP's car (not to be confused with Neil P) he also is running a Cossie V6.
[img][/img]

mistergrumpy - 19/9/10 at 11:20 AM

Me + missus mortified then. Still it's a lesson learned. I didn't expect it to be big but felt I should support it as it's the "Northern" show and could potentially be quite big but just seems badly attended by the big manufacturers and sellers. I dunno if its the distance as most live darn Sarf or if it's the site fee's they have to pay. I looked forward to the cars outside as this is what made it for me in 2008 but there were hardly any there yesterday.
I sat down with a the missus for a butty and said that this show won't exist within 3-4 years and I stick by it. I bet the place is deserted today and last night.

AdrianH - 19/9/10 at 03:53 PM

I heard that it cost around £12,000 for the event, that is a lot of people to get through the door.

I guess it becomes a gamble as to cost and expected turn-out and what is a reasonable price to put on the entrance.

I thought the idea of entrance to the grounds being free and only charge to get in the halls was reasonable then realised that because there were other events on at the show ground there would have been little else that could be done.
So in effect if you turn up, wish to camp it cost you nothing and the toilet and showers were free.

Go into the halls to purchase anything and that's when you paid.

Not sure why traders did not turn up or support it probably because of bad reviews on the forums they decided not to bother! As it gets talked down before the show it will have a bad turn out as we listen to the reviews and it will never get better.

Just wondering if you wish the show to go on how would you do it different?

1) Ask the clubs wishing to attend to put funds into the cost of running the show and then taking a percentage of profits or loss.

2) Run the same prices at Stoneleigh is planning for 2011, see this link here: Stoneleigh 2011

3) Just not bother and let it die?

I would like to have a show further North still such as at Harrogate, but I bet that would not be a cheap show to put on.

Lastly I did pay £10 to get in, was disappointed in the lack of trade stands turning up but still happy to support the cause.

Adrian

marcjagman - 19/9/10 at 05:03 PM

I went yesterday, Saturday, with the missus as we have never been before. Was bad enough having to pay a tenner each to look at a bare hall but then the grass outside was so uneven she couldn't look around the cars outside on her mobility scooter. If they're going to rip us of they could at least make the grass more usable.

mistergrumpy - 19/9/10 at 06:33 PM

Stoneleigh prices up! That's the end for me then. £30 a piece to camp? No way Jose.
£12k is a lot to run the event especially when there's the antiques fair on to but if only more stalls and manufacturers could be enticed to attend I reckon more people would be happy to go along. I heard the name Den Tanner being banded about and having read his jaded past on Google then I have to guess that politics have got involved.

pdm - 19/9/10 at 06:55 PM

There's got to be an element of post office closures to this surely - bear with me !!

I went to Staffs today - already knew from negative posts on here that it would be quiet. But outside was quieter than in !!!

Weather ok, verging on nice and some stuff to look at. £10 each does sounds like a lot and yes I suppose it wasn't autosport/NEC Car show...but there were plenty of cars to look at - MEV had brought everything !!! MNR and GKD too. Lurvely shiney cobras/ferrari reps. Also the coupe silver thing although forget what it's called.

But come on £10 even in today's climate - bet most people spend more than that on a monthly meet.

If we keep on being down about meets like this, then they will fold...and then where will we go !!

What's next - Newark too far and a bit quiet, Exeter too far south. Only leaves Detling and Stoneleigh - how many will be complaining there isn't anything new there in a couple of years time and by strength of internet make numbers fall there.

So to Post Office - people got fed up with queueing/slow service etc etc etc at post office - much easier on t'internet the populace shouted. Now what happens when you need to post your wishbones and you have to travel to find the nearest post office !!! You had one down the road 5 years ago !!! I still pay my gas/elec over the counter rather than direct debit - it keeps someone in work and keeps a small village PO open (or I like to think so) !!!

Sadly I think petrolheads are in the minority - so as kit car enthusiasts we are a small part of that minority. I just think we should therefore support any shows we can.

The more turn up the better a show will be - I mean lets face it I haven't got enough cash to wander round buying "the shiney" from each and every stall. But it's great when you can just wander up to some random stranger and with a "nice car mate, how did you do...." have a right old chinwag about something you're both into.

I'm NOT saying roll over and just pay what promoters ask....

Someone please agree that took ages to type and I'm not normally so forthright !!

GeorgeM - 19/9/10 at 07:06 PM

I agree,

I drove from Essex to help MNR out & put my car on the stand (8hr round trip), and yes I knew before I went it was going to be quiet.

ReMan - 20/9/10 at 11:57 AM

I empathise

But dont forget the people who come in their kits ARE THE SHOW

So yes I have no problem with charging the browsers/public for the privelage, quite right. I would, and did used to pay myself.

But to charge drivers and passengers for that matter is wrong, and as felt and said in this thread here will be their undoing in this minority hobby