Board logo

Bank details mails - LOADS of mails being received
carpmart - 21/2/11 at 12:16 PM

I've started to receive a steady stream of around five mails per day asking me to re-register my bank details with a variety of organisations. They are all scams. I'm just curious if anyone else has seen a significant increase in this type of mail?

Anything I can do to stop it?

Thanks!

[Edited on 21/2/11 by carpmart]

Xtreme Kermit - 21/2/11 at 12:26 PM

Not seen this myself - but as usual with these things - Do Not Reply - as it just validates an address to target.

Confused but excited. - 21/2/11 at 12:41 PM

I get one or two every few days. PITA.

blakep82 - 21/2/11 at 12:42 PM

yeah, hotmail junks them automaticaly for me. since 11th feb, i've got 13 of them, all from banks i've never been with, plus 2 HM customs scams, and loads about my 'newsletter susbscription'... how was i ever going to beleive pedro basket is a real name?

hughpinder - 21/2/11 at 12:46 PM

I started getting loads of them last week - obviously trying the 'checking your secutiry details' ..... type scams.
Regards
Hugh

Minicooper - 21/2/11 at 01:08 PM

Same here, loads of them recently

Cheers
David

scootz - 21/2/11 at 01:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
I get one or two every few days. PITA.

+1

adithorp - 21/2/11 at 01:11 PM

they tend to come in batches. Loads for a week or two then none for ages. I just delete without opening

britishtrident - 21/2/11 at 01:31 PM

An ISP mail box with good filtering would stop this crap before it got to you all our email accounts go through either a Plusnet or Zen accounts that have spam filters that stop 99% of garbage.

We have more filtering on the business desktop Windows PC which runs K9 using both heuristic and strict blackhole filtering, Avira Premium Mail Guard and also Thunderbird has the built in heuristic filter set up, resuly virtually zero spam gets into the inbox.

Robin Keir's K9 http://keir.net/k9.html

bigrich - 21/2/11 at 01:51 PM

same here, getting 3 or4 a week. just keep junking them and blocking sender

HowardB - 21/2/11 at 02:41 PM

if youcan step away from micro$oft, try thunderbird, it's spam handling is excellent.

hth

ps never use "out of office" as this handily responds to all mail and validates your address to the spammers

[Edited on 21/2/11 by HowardB]

Grimsdale - 21/2/11 at 04:15 PM

yep loads and load in the last couple of weeks!!

dave r - 21/2/11 at 06:15 PM

loads this last few weeks

lotusmadandy - 21/2/11 at 07:25 PM

Yup,i am getting loads lately.I cant seem to block em either.

Andy

TheGecko - 22/2/11 at 05:03 AM

I've had an upswing in the amount of these in the last week or two. The notable thing is that they're for UK based financial organisations (I'm in Australia) and they're being sent to my LocostBuilders email address. I own my own domain names (several) and I create a different destination address whenever I register an account somewhere. Assists greatly in identifying and combating spam.

So, the question to the LcoostBuilders admins is, has there been a breach of some sort allowing the harvesting of our email addresses?

Dominic

gingerprince - 22/2/11 at 07:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
Anything I can do to stop it?
[Edited on 21/2/11 by carpmart]

Yep. U2u me your bank details and pin and i can add you to the global spam filter.

DRC INDY 7 - 22/2/11 at 07:42 AM

me 2

Ninehigh - 22/2/11 at 07:59 AM

Been getting these for years, they just hit my junkbox. Some of them are for banks I've never been with (there aren't many) and the tax office sending me money (still waiting for last year's), some survey things and drugs...

Mike S - 22/2/11 at 08:28 AM

Interesting.

I too have had loads. A couple per day at least.

Obviously deleting them, but it does beg the question how they got hold of our email address's.

Seems to have kicked off over the last few weeks. Maybe tied in with the recent site updates?

I wasn't sure where they got my email address, but it seems to be related to this site and is kind of confirmed by the posts above.

Probably too late to do anything now, but if the Chris or Fozzie could see if we have a problem with being compromised it might stop it happening again?

Cheers

Mike

Ninehigh - 22/2/11 at 11:50 AM

Missus was getting things like this within an hour of creating an email address, I think some people have a program that sends it to every possible email in the world

Fozzie - 22/2/11 at 12:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheGecko
I've had an upswing in the amount of these in the last week or two. The notable thing is that they're for UK based financial organisations (I'm in Australia) and they're being sent to my LocostBuilders email address. I own my own domain names (several) and I create a different destination address whenever I register an account somewhere. Assists greatly in identifying and combating spam.

So, the question to the LcoostBuilders admins is, has there been a breach of some sort allowing the harvesting of our email addresses?

Dominic

I damn well hope not! ..... I have had more bank/scam mails than usual of late too ...

I will point ChrisW in the direction of this thread......but I think it is more of a 'chance' type event as per 'Ninehigh's' post.

Fozzie