Board logo

mushroom second fixing
dunk3 - 30/12/08 at 02:38 PM

Hi all Do you have to wait until you have set up your tracking and suspension before you can put your second fixing on the mushroom for the sva, or can you do it at anytime. cheers..

speedyxjs - 30/12/08 at 02:50 PM

Second fixing on the mushroom?

mistergrumpy - 30/12/08 at 02:56 PM

No anytime will do if you have the central mushrooms. I just drilled through the upright and mushroom then ran a tap through.
If you have the offset ones I'd wait and get them right first.

dogwood - 30/12/08 at 03:04 PM

HTH
David

speedyxjs - 30/12/08 at 03:50 PM

^^^ oh right thanks. I got worried then

Mark G - 30/12/08 at 04:32 PM

my mounting hole is ofset so I'm waiting untill after I've set up the suspension and then fixing it.

dunk3 - 30/12/08 at 04:49 PM

Ok thanks everyone i will wait until i have set my suspension & tracking up, as i have offset mushrooms on my car. cheers..

Liam - 30/12/08 at 05:33 PM

Huh? First I've heard of this one. Is this new SVA silliness or has it always been the case? How come the Sierra and most other cars seem to be ok without a second fixing on the strut?

Liam

rusty nuts - 30/12/08 at 05:37 PM

The Sierra has a lug on the side of the strut that goes into the slot at the top of the hub which is then secured by the pinch bolt . The mushrooms do not have any other means of securing them to the hub other than the pinch bolt. There may ?? have been cases of the mushrooms pulling out.

JoelP - 30/12/08 at 05:41 PM

first ive heard of this requirement.

jacko - 30/12/08 at 06:21 PM

It's been in the SVA for a while about a year i think

jacko

RichardK - 30/12/08 at 06:49 PM

Yep, at my recent sva at Beverly he was keen to see that the bolt actually went into the mushroom as well as I didn't put the hole all the way through. Luckily I had loads of pictures in my gallery that he spent about 30 mins going through.

Cheers Rich

simonk - 5/1/09 at 09:20 PM

Obviously some room for SVA interpretation here as mine sailed through in October 08 with no secondary method of fixing. I'd heard about this and considered it and figured that in the Sierra the limit of full extension is the strut and therefore there is a possibility that the bottom of the strut could be pulled out of the upright at full extension which I presume is why the struts have the ridge on them. On my car the coil overs limit travel via the bottom wishbone before there is any 'pulling' load on the mushroom - so I torqued it up as per the manual and it went through SVA without a problem.

Thanks
Simon