Board logo

powder coating colour
andrew-theasby - 28/2/11 at 06:24 PM

Just sent my car off for blasting with a last minute change to powder coating instead of paint. Cant decide what colour to do the chassis, wishbones and roll hoops, any reccomendations. Car will be bayside blue with carbon detailing and black and silver wheels.

scootz - 28/2/11 at 06:48 PM

I'd be wary of doing a blue / blue colour scheme... you'll either have to get the RAL codes spot-on so they match exactly, or go for completely contrasting shades of blue.

Anything that looks just 'similar' will be poo (IMHO!).

What about a complete contrast? Blue body, but red, gold or lime green chassis?

andrew-theasby - 28/2/11 at 06:56 PM

ye i see what you mean, wish he hadnt given me the choice of colours, i was happy just painting it black before

loggyboy - 28/2/11 at 07:19 PM

Arent lighter colours better for showing cracks in components? Maybe a mid/dark grey as an alternative to the usual satin black?

stevegough - 28/2/11 at 07:26 PM

One of the things I love best about my car is the Poppy - red chassis -

......go on.....

....................you KNOW you want to....

kb58 - 28/2/11 at 07:38 PM

I vote no for a black chassis. It sucks the light out of dark places you're trying to work in, like the footwell.

andrew-theasby - 28/2/11 at 07:41 PM

Cant add it to the vote, but considering Gun metal for all now?

loggyboy - 28/2/11 at 07:48 PM

How about something with a twist??

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carlfothergill/new/additive2.html

andrew-theasby - 28/2/11 at 07:52 PM

he showed me some of them but i didnt think youd see enough of the chassis to bother with a flake, maybe on the roll hoops, but i think id prefer a metalic/pearl body colout instead

wilkingj - 28/2/11 at 09:38 PM

Either Stock Std Black chassis, or a light grey.
Rusty Nuts has a light Grey chassis, with some Blue Bodywork, and its very effective.

I would not go Blue / Blue, as you cannot guarantee a match (as said above), and it would then look a bit odd. Have a contrast that actually works, and there is a definate difference in the colours.

richwill - 28/2/11 at 09:57 PM

I went for blue chassis and bodywork and think it looks great. Some pics in my archive.