Board logo

Lotus 7 Series 2 or 3 chassis drawings?
gasket999 - 15/1/20 at 01:02 AM

Hi everyone.

It’s been some years since I was last on the forum. At the time I was looking to build a Lotus 7 Series 2 or 3 clone (rather than a Locost or alternative).

I had begun to gather parts to give me options (Herald and Spitfire uprights, English axle, Herald and Mini steering racks etc) and I’ve recently moved into a new house and have just finished building my new workshop. I’ve opened the boxes and packages containing the donor parts I’d found and am (finally) looking to make some progress.

At the time (almost 10 years ago now) the thing that stopped me was trying to find plans for the chassis. I have had a good google and am starting to find references to new drawings that have been made of the original Chapman Series 2 and 3 chassis and wishbones.

Does anyone know if these have, in fact, been digitised during my decade-long hiatus? If so a link would be wonderful.

Thank you.

John Bonnett - 15/1/20 at 11:18 AM

This is a really exciting project and I wish you well with it. To my mind the early 7s were the purist form, petite and pretty. For me they started to lose their appeal once the wide arches appeared on the Caterhams. I realise this is very subjective and everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Were the early cars fitted with Ford axles? I had an idea that they used BMC and from memory my 1988 Caterham ran a Marina axle.

cs3tcr - 15/1/20 at 03:05 PM

Gasket,

I think I have most of the Prince drawings somewhere. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send off what I can find.

quote:

Were the early cars fitted with Ford axles? I had an idea that they used BMC and from memory my 1988 Caterham ran a Marina axle

Series 1 Sevens had a Nash Met axle (BMC sourced)
Series 2 Sevens had a Standard axle (Triumph-ish)
Series 3 had English Axles
Series 4 had English Axles
Caterham S3 (early live axle) had English axles
Caterham S3 (late live axle) Ital/Marina axles

Rod

[Edited on 15/1/20 by cs3tcr]

John Bonnett - 15/1/20 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cs3tcr
Gasket,

I think I have most of the Prince drawings somewhere. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send off what I can find.

quote:

Were the early cars fitted with Ford axles? I had an idea that they used BMC and from memory my 1988 Caterham ran a Marina axle

Series 1 Sevens had a Nash Met axle (BMC sourced)
Series 2 Sevens had a Standard axle (Triumph-ish)
Series 3 had English Axles
Series 4 had English Axles
Caterham S3 (early live axle) had English axles
Caterham S3 (late live axle) Ital/Marina axles

Rod

[Edited on 15/1/20 by cs3tcr]

Good information Rod, thank you. I too would be interested in any drawings you have and if it isn't too much trouble would love to have them. PM Sent.

Kind regards John

Bluemoon - 15/1/20 at 04:05 PM

I would also be interested is the drawings.... digital copies might be worth making more than happy to scan them..

gasket999 - 18/1/20 at 01:38 PM

Thank you very much!

I’ll have a good look through the drawings when I can get them printed out on Monday.