Board logo

Time to weld chassis?
Asennad - 31/5/07 at 06:09 PM

Say you had your chassis all tacked together and you called in a professional welder with a self contained welding truck or you delivered the table and frame to a welding shop.

How many hours do you think you it would take to completely finish the welding using a MIG setup?

oadamo - 31/5/07 at 06:12 PM

if it was all tacked id guess about 2 hours
adam

[Edited on 31/5/07 by oadamo]

Ivan - 31/5/07 at 07:52 PM

How long is a piece of string - if it's just the bare chassis - I would guess at 4 to 6 hours. A lot depends on how much care is taken to prevent distortion as shifting position contiuously takes time

If it's the complete chassis with absolutely everything (Brackets, plates etc, I would say closer to 8 -12 hours)

It all depends if you have welded in floor etc or riveted in floor etc

daviep - 31/5/07 at 07:54 PM

Hard to say really. If you were just to go at it hammer and tongs without stopping to check everything is staying nice and square I would say 6 hours absolute minimum.

Mark Allanson - 31/5/07 at 08:40 PM

If the chassis is fully tacked, I cannot see why it could not be done in less than an hour for a man on a mission, my whole chassis took less than 42 hours from uncut steel to complete frame.

Asennad - 1/6/07 at 04:21 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Reason I asked is that there used to be a guy here in Toronto that was producing Lotus 7 clones. I went to see him shortly after the book was originally released - about ten years ago. He was a bit miffed as he was selling his chassis for quite a lot and people were balking at the price he was asking after reading the book.

He told me that he and a couple of friends would get together on the weekend and put together several chassis at a time. He had a good stack of them. Had had built himself a jig and they would form an assembly line and knockout the chassis in no time.

Mark Allanson - 2/6/07 at 09:25 AM

I think that a fabrication shop equipped with a full jig and CNC precut tubes, two man working each side of the chassis - could put out 3-4 chassis per day - buy could you sell that many?

Minicooper - 2/6/07 at 09:35 AM

Hello,
I saw an article on chassis building at one of the 7 clone manufacturers and it said it took there welder one man day to weld a tacked chassis completly, so with tea breaks, lunchtime, etc looks like it takes about 6 hours.

Cheers
David