Board logo

Avon nearly there!!
Lime zest - 14/6/10 at 08:13 PM

Hi guys, many months since my last post. My Avon is nearing its completion..only a few things to sort.
I have fitted a polo rad, new black top zetec with tb's and new shortened sump...Tiger have supplied all the parts so far and all i looking well..Although i do need some help when it comes to fuel and cooling???
Does anyone here know how to pipe the cooling system? Standard 2.0l engine thermostat housing, no heater as opting for no windscreen....Also with regards to the fuel, do i fit the pump before the filter or visa versa? Any help would be great.
Thanks

Lime zest - 14/6/10 at 08:24 PM

By the way, how do i attach photos?

Paul TigerB6 - 14/6/10 at 08:30 PM

link for posting pics

as for the rest. Not sure on the Zetec blacktop so will leave that to someone who has one.

For the pump - protect it with a fairly cheap filter that you dont hind throwing away or cleaning out due to all the crud that Tiger supply as standard with their tanks. You can then fit a 2nd if you wish in the engine bay as a final filtration - maybe combined with a fuel pressure regulator unless you're running bike carbs??

Lime zest - 14/6/10 at 08:32 PM

Ta, thanks for that, will do.
Added some pics on the photo archive, under lime zest

jonrotheray - 14/6/10 at 08:36 PM

You need to put (img) but in square brackets, then your picture address, (/img) afterwards, again using square brackets instead of round ones. If its in the archive you can cut and paste the code for this - its just under your picture - it says forum code..

car nearing completion
car nearing completion

As yours is so big, you might want to add a size, by typing =500x400 after the first img.
Like so...

[img=500x400]http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/DSC00814.JPG[/img]

[Edited on 14/6/10 by jonrotheray]

Paul TigerB6 - 14/6/10 at 08:38 PM

Looking good there. Just need to read the section on resizing them before popping them into your photo archive!!

I use Pixresizer myself - saves space on my laptop as well as the server at LocostBuilders Towers.

Lime zest - 14/6/10 at 08:42 PM

Got ya, cheers for that.
I will try and add some more pics latter on. Brilliant!!

Lime zest - 14/6/10 at 08:47 PM

seat runners, custom made by m
seat runners, custom made by m

Lime zest - 14/6/10 at 08:52 PM

Rad fitted
Rad fitted

RichardK - 14/6/10 at 08:56 PM

That left hand side repeater on the first picture will never get through IVA

Nice build apart from that

Take care

Rich

nick205 - 14/6/10 at 09:03 PM

Very nice looking build

Excellent choice of seat as well.

eddie99 - 14/6/10 at 09:04 PM

Looking real nice. Keep it going!

keith777 - 14/6/10 at 09:29 PM

just out of interest what tyres do you have on your car ?

RichardK - 14/6/10 at 10:25 PM

On the big picture they have R888 on the side

keith777 - 14/6/10 at 10:48 PM

Thanks might get meself some of them!

Richard Quinn - 15/6/10 at 07:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
That left hand side repeater on the first picture will never get through IVA

Nice build apart from that

Take care

Rich
It's fairly early but that took me about 5 mins to catch on!!

Lime zest - 15/6/10 at 11:32 AM

Yes, the tyres are TOYO R888's, very soft and sticky...Road legal i think?????

Do i need to conect all therm housing connections for the cooling system>? or can i blank off the two small ports??

DJT - 15/6/10 at 09:48 PM

Hello,

I am due to start my Avon chassis build early July. Your build looks very good and something for me to aspire to.

Just interested to know which pedal set did you install?

(I'm sure some wag will say: throttle/brake/clutch).

Cheers,

David.

[Edited on 15-6-2010 by DJT]

[Edited on 16-6-2010 by DJT]

Lime zest - 16/6/10 at 10:50 AM

Went for this, not cheep but really good:-
http://www2.obp.uk.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_52_91_102_104&products_id=271&osCsid=4a6e8df523ae393146457adcd4068647

OBP super lightweight floor mount box.
Cable clutch for the type 9 gearbox.

If it helps anyone, Quinton Hazel do have CCT303 clutch release bearings in stock, you can buy from them direct. Correct length to fit new 2.0l zetec black top to type 9.

[Edited on 16/6/10 by Lime zest]

hrc450HRC450 - 11/8/10 at 01:25 PM

nice looking rims you have.
whate make/model are they?

cheers

laptoprob - 3/11/10 at 01:11 PM

Looking good so far mate, all looking neat and tidy.....

Wait till you get to put the body/bonnet on, they are a nightmare!!

Nothing lines up well and the bonnet has to be cut down as they come too long as std!!

Lime zest - 5/11/10 at 08:07 AM

Yeh, have heard that before. Any tips on how to get the bonnet, body and nose cone lined up????

Just another thought, the body has been hanging from my garage roof for the past 18months, will it have flexed/warped in that time??

laptoprob - 6/11/10 at 12:53 PM

Body should be fine mate, mine was stuck up on some racking for a year and didnt lose its shape.

The key is to take your time when fitting it and have a spare pair of hands and eyes to make sure all the gaps are good round the rear wheels. The part that goes over the frame where you step in and out is upto you really. It cut mine so it sat on top then used rivits to secure but my friend left plenty on and allowed it to come over the top(both look ok).

Th main bugbear on the whole grp system is the bonnet. It comes with a rather large overlap that has to be trimmed at the bulkhead end. Thats because the original grp casts were purchased like this from the previous owners of the Avon chassis builders(Pheonix i think?) and have never been changed. Best thing is to mount the nosecone(loosely) have a mark up and cut.
If you balls up then you can push the nose cone further back and have another go

You will never get the bonnet to sit properly on the frame where the catches meet up(u need 4 of these by the way). They are all like this if you have a look at others. I put some thick black foam strip under it to conceal it.

If you need pics or anymore info then give me a nudge.

(laptoprob@hotmail.co.uk)

laptoprob - 6/11/10 at 12:57 PM

Photos

Have a look at the photos of my car on the thread which is 2 below this one. You`ll see the foam strip and bonnet gaps a little better on there.

Rob.

melly-g - 8/11/10 at 10:40 AM

My bonnet didn't need cutting down and there is no gap at the sides?

laptoprob - 8/11/10 at 09:25 PM

Your one in many then mate as Paul Dudley at Tiger told me theyre all the same!

Lucky man

laptoprob - 8/11/10 at 11:29 PM

Err Melly-G, do you fancy selling that bonnet of yours?

[Edited on 8/11/10 by laptoprob]

[Edited on 8/11/10 by laptoprob]

melly-g - 9/11/10 at 08:00 AM

No No No! I think I was lucky, you can't get my bonnet anymore as it's the pre zetec type without the bulge for the carbs.
Maybe thats why it fits properly?

laptoprob - 9/11/10 at 01:30 PM

Damn

DJT - 15/11/10 at 05:21 PM

Laptoprob,

What wheels do you have on there? I'm looking for suitable black alloys for my Avon, but am constrained by the 6.5" max. width.

Cheers.

laptoprob - 15/11/10 at 05:51 PM

They are 15" BK Racing wheels with a 35mm offset and 195/50/15 R888`s.
Could have done with 38mm but they are ok, just had to file down the lip on one side to prevent the wheel catching.

DaveFJ - 16/11/10 at 09:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJT
Laptoprob,

What wheels do you have on there? I'm looking for suitable black alloys for my Avon, but am constrained by the 6.5" max. width.

Cheers.

really?

i have 7" on the front and 8" on the back... 205/45/16 and 245/35/16 respectively...........

admittedly i had to widen the rear arches but they needed reworking anyway because they are different sizes.....

laptoprob - 16/11/10 at 04:24 PM

Hmmm i fancied putting wider tyres on the back but have had enough pain already with this build.

Yours already look good, just blast `em with some paint??

Lime zest - 18/11/10 at 11:43 AM

Cheers laptoprob, will let you know how the body goes latter on.

DJT - 22/11/10 at 02:13 PM

Thanks.

I understand that 6.5" is as wide as you can go without extending the rear arches.

DaveFJ - 22/11/10 at 02:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJT
Thanks.

I understand that 6.5" is as wide as you can go without extending the rear arches.

surely that depends on the offset...

I ordered my 8" wide compomotives with an offset at ET51. but after a week or so compomotive rang me and said the max they could do on an 8" rim was ET35
When finally fitted my tyres stuck out by 15mm - hence i had to widen my rear arches....

[Edited on 22-11-10 by DaveFJ]

[Edited on 22-11-10 by DaveFJ]