Board logo

Avon windscreen options
Northy - 24/10/14 at 03:04 PM

Hi,

I plan on doing a few jobs to the Avon over the winter so I can give it some use next year.
At the moment it's just got an aeroscreen but I'm a bit bored of having to wear a full face helmet to use it.

What options are there for a windscreen for it? The standard Tiger one is quite short isn't it?
Do I really NEED wipers etc, or is it easier to fit the aeroscreen back on for MOT time?

What are peoples opinions?

Thanks,

G

whitestu - 24/10/14 at 03:58 PM

I don't know what fits the Tiger - I got a Caterham screen for my MK which fits quite well.

As for using the car with a screen wipers are a must as a little bit of rain makes driving virtually impossible.

The other thing that I didn't realise is that without side screens a full wind screen makes little difference to driving comfort. However with some decent sidescreens high speed driving is much more civilised and you can hold a conversation quite easily even at fairly high speeds.

The other thing to consider is a demister. Not so important if you don't have a roof and not needed for MOT, but vital if you do have a roof.

I'll be trying to squeeze a Saxo heater / demister into my Indy this winter!

Having a screen, sidescreens and roof have made my car far more useable given our rubbish weather and once I have the heater I'd be quite happy using it every day.

Stu

Northy - 24/10/14 at 05:38 PM

Ah ok, good information thanks.
So next question, how big can an Aeroscreen be without being a windscreen? Maybe a couple of extra inches would help.... (that's what she said).

G

johnemms - 24/10/14 at 06:24 PM

First screen
First screen
Mine is eyeline level - squat down a little for full cover - sit a little up to see clear over it

Northy - 24/10/14 at 06:29 PM

I like that :-) I'll have to measure how high mine is.
Mine is currently blue.
Where could I get some clear plastic to make a higher one?

Thanks,

G

anthony1 - 24/10/14 at 07:15 PM

If you look in my photo archive......I had a similar screen on my MK Indy , I think it was from a Mach 1. I made some side screens and added some corners to the screen ,very warm when driving......however the top edge of the screen was right on eye level , so if you look at the latest developments folder you can see that I have added some aeroscreens , my next job is to add a small section in the middle and one at each side , I will probably use some polycarbonate for this , the aero screens are about 40mm higher than the screen was , so i am hoping they will be just above eye line. I did try to find some info. regarding how high the screen could be without wipers but was unable to find anything.....probably not looking in the right place....