Board logo

I crashed my car, its a right off...
bi22le - 24/9/09 at 03:13 PM

First of all I want to say thanks and a real big sorry to Dave (cockneydave PH, previous owner), Mark (MAC1) and mark and Chris Woodward (original builders).

I had the car just over three weeks and after looking and saving for two years I finally had the car with all the trimmings that I always wanted. After doing some work on the car on a sunny Saturday me and my mate (passenger) went for a drive to some round abouts near where I live to practice some cornering. As I was travelling coast bound on the A2 under the M25 at about 70mph middle lane the steering come off its QR boss making me loose all steering. I veered across the fast lane and after slamming on the brakes I hit the central reservation at about 60mph. It ripped the front right wheel clean off which in turn hit the front upright of my roll cage and over the top of our heads leaving a small nic out of the top of my crash hat. We span 360 spraying bits of car all over the road. Luckily We hit no other cars and no one ploughed into the back of us.

We had only minor cuts, bruises and aches but other than that very lucky. I am obviously devastated about this and still cant believe that something more or less out of my control has happened. I understand that I should of rechecked or triple checked the QR boss but I had been moving the car all day and had driven 4 miles before it happened on a straight bit of road. I had a track day booked 4 days later at Brands which had to be cancelled.

Adrian Flux (KGM insurance) have been very nice to deal with allowing me to dictate how and where the car goes for repair but the assessor decided it to be a CAT B right off and they have taken the car. I managed to get a few 'choice' bits from the car but a lot more is reuseable. I could try and trace the car which would be hard but I dont really even want to see it anymore its too upsetting. I have been fully paid out and with the other parts to be sold will not be out of pocket. I was very sceptic that the insurance would give me a service but infact I am very happy with them and would use them again. I would still rather reverse time about 5 weeks and this never of happened.

So as it stands I have some parts to sell (Willwood brakes, Digidash, savage switches, power commander, mirrors and harnesses) which will go in classifieds soon but the main problem is I cant get insurance. I have now 4 accidents. 2 non fault and two fault. I also have a SP30. I’m 27 with no years no claims due to company car. I have tried all the companies in this months kit car mag an only one quoted me £1200 for the same car, the others wont touch me. I really want this car and have the money waiting: http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1202087.htm
But im not paying 1200 for insurance. Any advice or help would be grateful. Here are some pics any way:

In its true fine looking form:

|http://thumbsnap.com/v/Nh9rKAep.jpg" target="_blank">|http://thumbsnap.com/v/Nh9rKAep.jpg

After the accident:

|http://thumbsnap.com/v/OdyFLfPd.jpg" target="_blank">|http://thumbsnap.com/v/OdyFLfPd.jpg

|http://thumbsnap.com/v/BtqJCMpf.jpg" target="_blank">|http://thumbsnap.com/v/BtqJCMpf.jpg

|http://thumbsnap.com/v/jRpNw8J5.jpg" target="_blank">|http://thumbsnap.com/v/jRpNw8J5.jpg

|http://thumbsnap.com/v/0DSgmfo2.jpg" target="_blank">|http://thumbsnap.com/v/0DSgmfo2.jpg

Thanks again for your advice and I hope to be part of the kit car world again soon...

blakep82 - 24/9/09 at 03:15 PM

f***ing hell

nib1980 - 24/9/09 at 03:15 PM

crikey, glad your OK, and i'm so glad I have a full roll cage now!

CraigJ - 24/9/09 at 03:17 PM

Sh*t. glad your ok. rebuild time.

welderman - 24/9/09 at 03:18 PM

at least you and passenger are ok, cars a mess though

whitestu - 24/9/09 at 03:20 PM

Any idea what caused the boss to fail?

Stu

Ben_Copeland - 24/9/09 at 03:20 PM

Blimey, lucky lucky.

Another good advert for a roll cage and safety helmets !!!

Flamez - 24/9/09 at 03:20 PM

How did the boss come off? Was it a part failure or poor weld?

Triton - 24/9/09 at 03:20 PM

Ummm that makes my stomach churn seeing that.

nib1980 - 24/9/09 at 03:23 PM

it is of absolutley no conselation, but speaking from a crash design engineer point of view that is a Very good design and system collapse.

Bluemoon - 24/9/09 at 03:24 PM

I think you have had a lucky escape.. Amazed how the passanger cell has held out, up very glad you are both o.k and are hear to tell the tail..

There was a nasty smash on the A40/M40 this morning (london bound) with a bike, I don't think he was so lucky..

Chin up, you will get insurance but might be worth giving it a break for a bit to get you risk down with them by your tin top insurance...

Dan

blakep82 - 24/9/09 at 03:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nib1980
it is of absolutley no conselation, but speaking from a crash design engineer point of view that is a Very good design and system collapse.

was thinking that myself

graememk - 24/9/09 at 03:27 PM

thats bad poo mate, the other way to look at is that you should play the lottery as you apear to be the luckies guy in the world, that could of been so much worse.

best of luck fella.

A1 - 24/9/09 at 03:28 PM

christ thats a shame. really sorry for you.
just pay the 1200 insurance, i pay about 1700 but its worth every penny!
just dont go with NIG direct. msm are great, they were my cheapest of 2 people who would touch me, but they go with the aforementioned NIG

Andy B - 24/9/09 at 03:39 PM

Just a result you are both still breathing.
Had exactly the same happen a few years ago when the QR boss detached whilst on a blat down some country lanes. My own fault - steering wheel had been on off all day and I didnt check it was home properly. Booted the car out of a fast corner and off she came. The feeling of total helplessness as the car veered across the road as I attempted to ram the boss back on will stay with me forever.
I hit a 4 ft high grass bank, jumped it into a field before sliding into a ditch and hitting a concrete culvert which promptly spat me back across the road I had left and into a tree.
Net result whiplash, bruised knuckles and a two piece Fury as it snapped in half under the seats.
First job once my backside stopped pouting was to remove the datalogger as I wasnt quite sure what speed I was doing!!
I always pull like hell on the steering wheel now to check the QR is engaged
Glad you are both OK
Andy

bi22le - 24/9/09 at 03:39 PM

This is definatly an add for roll cages! Side inpact and roll over is one thng. Big bits of debris can also be deflected. QR bosses NEED TO BE CHECKED. Mine was a Willwood hex style. It is a tight fit and slides along way down the shaft before clicking in. I noticed it was hard to put on so made sure that I would never "just quickly attach" and alway double check it. I though I had done this that day but I could not of done. No defect or broken bits found. It just come straight off in my hands. One of the worst feelings in the world..

I dont hold the boss responsible but its not the best of designs.

LBMEFM - 24/9/09 at 03:41 PM

To lose your steering must have been terrifying, your worst nightmare, good to see and your mate are ok though. Start over again, it's worth it. Barry

David Jenkins - 24/9/09 at 03:55 PM

Looking at it, I'm not sure that the rollcage played a big part in the action - nothing from the scuttle back is broken or deformed. As stated above, the front absorbed all the force and dissipated it (fortunately).

Just very glad that you walked away with little personal damage...

scotlad - 24/9/09 at 03:57 PM

Jeebus! Glad you and mate walked away!

balidey - 24/9/09 at 04:04 PM

Holy poop, that looked bad, just echoing other comments of how lucky you are.

Is it too soon to say 'That'll T-cut out?'

zilspeed - 24/9/09 at 04:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

f***ing hell

Were my exact words to myself when I saw the pics.

I don't think I need a quick release steering wheel boss.
That's another bit of eye candy to save on.

Again 'kinnell !!

blakep82 - 24/9/09 at 04:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Looking at it, I'm not sure that the rollcage played a big part in the action - nothing from the scuttle back is broken or deformed. As stated above, the front absorbed all the force and dissipated it (fortunately).

Just very glad that you walked away with little personal damage...

but don't forget this bit:

"It ripped the front right wheel clean off which in turn hit the front upright of my roll cage and over the top of our heads leaving a small nic out of the top of my crash hat."

deezee - 24/9/09 at 04:21 PM

Christ, looking at those pics almost puts me off finishing my car! I'm happy you and your passenger are fine though. Its a terrible shame about the car, its never nice to see a sports car smashed up.

franky - 24/9/09 at 05:27 PM

sorry to hear about it. At least you're ok and the insurance are paying out.

dean100yz - 24/9/09 at 05:36 PM

Wow that makes me feel all funny seeing those pics!

Really glad your all ok. Im 27 myself with company car so know what insurance can be like!!

You can at some point always get another...you and your friend are walking and thats the important bit.

I must say Im quite impressed just how well that MAC1 stood up given the speed!

02GF74 - 24/9/09 at 05:53 PM

blinkin' flip!!!

oh well, you are uninjured which in the end is what matters.

Johneturbo - 24/9/09 at 06:01 PM

Strewth

Glad you both walked away. them metal barriers are nasty.

gona make sure my QR is always properly secured now.

StevieB - 24/9/09 at 06:09 PM

Glad you're OK.

If you really want another but can't get it insured yet, why not get the one you want and use it as a trackday car fir a while then get it insured for road use as/when you can get a decent deal?

MikeRJ - 24/9/09 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

The cage and side impact bars probably added a fair bit of rigidity to the cockpit. I guess we will never know but it may have distorted considerably without them.

[Edited on 24/9/09 by MikeRJ]

livelee - 24/9/09 at 06:45 PM

I can confirm they deform massively without a cage.

[Edited on 24/9/09 by livelee]

chris_smith - 24/9/09 at 06:48 PM

never wore a tin top but ill certainley be giving it huge consideration now, and a roll cage might well be fitted over winter too

glad you and your mate are ok

David Jenkins - 24/9/09 at 06:48 PM

Fair comments about the flying wheel and the added rigidity - whatever it's effect, it's still good that they could get out and walk away.

Scary though...

Simon - 24/9/09 at 07:15 PM

Fortunately you're ok, what I can't understand is the rest of you with "QR's" (whatever they are), are still using them.

Two of you have had steering come apart, the third might end up not so lucky.

ATB

Simon

A1 - 24/9/09 at 07:44 PM

Ive been thinking of one for the extra security...not sure though

richardR1 - 24/9/09 at 07:54 PM

Bl**dy hell, glad you both came out of it relatively unscathed. I too have a QR wheel on mine but it is the original 'Snap-Off' type like this Snap Off which has a lock and key so is impossible for it to come off accidentally.

miikae - 24/9/09 at 08:51 PM

Pleased that you managed to get the insurance sorted in the end and to your satisfaction too.
As for QR wheel boss , i had a wee problem with mine due to me being in a hurry to bring the car into the drive after it had been parked on opossite of the road for a while , went to turn in and on straightening up the wheel just spun but it did not come off , (nearly ran into my house wall) turn it a bit more and it locked fortunatly as a lorry was approaching at speed ( i live on a main road) i just managed to get clear in time.
So i have had my gypsy's warning and faithfully check it every time now by listerning for the lock to click in.
Mine is the type that you need both hands to pull the back locking ring towards you to release the locking balls.

Mike

mark chandler - 24/9/09 at 09:20 PM

That is one lucky escape, I would just be pleased that all my limbs and faculties were intact, and breath a huge sigh of relief.

For myself I choose not to tax and insure my little car this year as the cost offsets a few track days, I would look for something tatty and cheap and hack it around tracks and trailer it there, £1,200 will get you out once a month in the summer.

You can never drive these near their capabilities on the road, you just end up going to fast, track days rock

I parked my bike up this year after watching my mate spin down the M20 on his back last year following a visit to the moto GP in Spain, back wheel locked up and throw him off... it makes you think.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 24/9/09 by mark chandler]

Dangle_kt - 24/9/09 at 09:42 PM

Bad news mate, your was well nice too. All the best wth whatever you decide!

RK - 24/9/09 at 10:10 PM

Have you thought of a nice road bicycle?

OK, that wasn't called for. I am sure your accident will encourage others to consider full cages though, so it wasn't all for nothing. That was a bad one, and yet you are both relatively OK. Cars can be replaced.

Werner Van Loock - 25/9/09 at 06:20 AM

Blimey, got the same QR boss

note to myself: check very carefully and don't rush

Glad you're ok

jabbahutt - 25/9/09 at 07:06 AM

Hells bells you and your mate were damn fortunate, the main thing is you're both okay.

Gutted for your loss of car but at least it can be replaced, you and your friend however couldn't

Mr Whippy - 25/9/09 at 07:47 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if that cage at least doubled of not much more the strength of the passenger compartment, I suspect you'd have had to be cut out of that car had you not had one. Just think of that fatal Westfield crash a short while back.

Gergely - 25/9/09 at 08:32 AM

No! That's horrible news. Glad that you are both fine! And that insurance paid. I will check my QR very carefully now... especially as my insurance would not pay a penny...
Cheer up, you will build or buy another one, I am sure!
Gergely

splitrivet - 25/9/09 at 09:28 AM

Glad to hear you and your buddy are OK that must have been one hell of an arse twitching drive with the wheel coming off in your hands.

As far as QR steering wheels go what is the point. If its a theft deterrent why, our cars must be the least attractive to your average car thief unless its for strip down and parts in which case they'd just lift the front end and tow it away.
Poseabillity seems the only reason to me but why put something in place which is so vunerable to human error as the case here with such huge consequences. Talk of the roll cage saving the day are valid but your missing the point it was a bit of unnecessary kit and human error that caused the accident but without the kit the human error would not have happened.
Cheers,
Bob

40inches - 25/9/09 at 11:08 AM

Can see why a QR wheel is an IVA fail.
Glad you are both OK.
As said buy the car, trackday it untill you can insure it, or, use the trackday fees to pay the insurance now. The way I see it is that I would pay £23 a week to drive a 7

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 29/9/09 at 02:47 AM

glad you walked away from that mate - after rolling the dax last year twice over and landing on its wheels the first thing i did was fit a cage to the new car even before i drove it!

the car was written off by hitting a deer in germany

and afterwards all i could think of was if the deer or an object large came over the engine cover towards heads - decapitation would of been instant..

you seem to have been saved from the wheel by the cage - it did it job - the passenger cell is definitely more survivable with a cage - i cant understand now why people do not realise just what time bombs they are without one - i used to say the same as people say now - 'why put one on? - it wont happen to me - naaaaaa never - im a careful driver' - well in truth accidents happen when its beyond your control - next time your out in any car drive slowly at around 30 - 40 mph - fix on a lamppost or similar and see just how fast it actually does travel towards you.. imagine that hitting? then think i can afford a cage.. i only get one life - i want to live it - i dont want my kids to have no dad - its just not worth running around with one of those bars like this

car on road
car on road

no offence intended but just how vunerable is that?

another point to why quick release steering wheels are used - not all cars have the luxury of getting in with the wheel on! - i certainly cannot get in with it on - i gotta admit tho i do check it more often now tho

i would get another car - just track day it - couple o years till insurance comes down - mine jumped 25% after the dax was wrote off.. hmmmm just love insurance companies.. new quote this year is down by £80 from last year.. maybe one or 2 more years to be back to where i was..

buy the car back if you can - mine was a cat B - speak to the assessor directly - get the car back and sell the bits seperately - you will have to prove the chassis is destroyed tho if you do

antonio - 29/9/09 at 03:46 PM

oh putain!
glad you and your mate are ok.

dhutch - 3/10/09 at 07:51 PM

Crikey. Yes, those are images to show the children for sure (preferably after a few years driving). What an utter bastard eh. Glad you and your passenger are safe and well, but a year into ownership myself, i would have been heart broken to be in your shoes.

Re getting a new car. £1200 is an outrageous amount for years cover. But i pay nearly for mine and its only money. Buy a slightly cheaper car even, put that towards insurence and get back on your wheels. You know you want to!

Daniel