Board logo

Update on gsxr I'll health.
Bigboystoys - 28/6/11 at 06:10 PM

Evening all. Finally found what failed in my gsxr 1000 engine tonight. Looks lie the crankshaft balance shaft shot it's shells. Now I'm trying to figure the best way cure my engine. Where the shells have collapsed the balance shaft has distorted the crankcase shell housing slightly at one end of the balance shaft. A few questions if you guys can help at all. Someone has said you can run them fine without a balance shaft? Does anyone have any gsxr casings for sale?? Is it possible to have the casing machined and oversized shells used if yes does anyone know where?? Many thanks
Sam

Andy B - 28/6/11 at 06:22 PM

We Have run a number of engines with the balance shaft removed - ZX12 is a common mod. I havent done a GSXR but cant think why you couldnt. If you do make sure you block the oil feed that used to supply it as if you dont it will result in low oil pressure.
Hope that helps
Andy

Bigboystoys - 28/6/11 at 06:29 PM

To be honest andy is pretty much blocked itself. Where the balance shaft has scored the case is semi covered the hole. What do you normally do tap and plug them or weld? Cheers. Also sounds silly but what's the vest way to de contaminate internals of tiny metal fragments?
Many thanks

Ben_Copeland - 28/6/11 at 07:23 PM

Drill and Tap would be best option, welding wouldnt be good.

Parts washer would get it all nice and clean....

matt_gsxr - 28/6/11 at 07:40 PM

or get a dummy balance shaft that just sits their blocking the oil passage hole.

http://www.orientexpress.com/Suzuki/Sport/GSXR+1000/Lower+End/APE+-+Dummy+Balance+Shaft+-+Suzuki+-+GSXR+1000+2001-2011%25252FCNC+Machined+Billet+Alumi num%25252FLightweight+94g%25252FEliminates+Stock+Shaft.html

Sounds like you may have been very lucky, I still don't understand why you would get water in the sump this way though.

Matt

imp paul - 28/6/11 at 07:44 PM

here you go mate this is what you need http://gsxrzone.com/cranks.html

Bigboystoys - 28/6/11 at 08:08 PM

Cheers guys, matt think the water in exhaust was condensation after all as I can't see any water to oil contamination at all so head gasket looks to be ok. Looks like a dummy balance shaft is on order then. Hopefully it will save me for long enough to save for me busa lump. Cheers once again for help and advice.
Just out of interest does anyone think this could have been caused by running a oil bypass line as opposed to a cooler? Cheers
Sam

matt_gsxr - 28/6/11 at 09:34 PM

No idea.

I know the earlier -92 gsxr1100 (air/oil cooled) would obviously need an oil cooler, and my gsxr1100w (water cooled) probably relies a bit on its oil cooler (undersides of pistons get a squirt, so which must heat things up) and still have cooling vents on the piston barrels!

But I don't know about the later engines. Given that Suzuki included an oil cooler on your engine, and it will see less fresh air, and more demands in a car install, then all those things point towards adding an oil cooler. You could measure the temperature through your bypass hose. Modern oils are good, but they have their limits.

It would be worth installing a 30psi oil switch into the main oil gallery (replace a blanking plug) and a bright light. Then you will know if you have oil surge problems. This is cheap insurance to my mind. Especially as those engines have a question-mark over oil surge.

Maybe google "gsxr1000 balancer shaft failure" and see if this is a common problem. Knowing Suzuki I suspect not.

Matt

Bigboystoys - 29/6/11 at 10:03 AM

Cheers matt will get onto it.