Board logo

Missing a gear when flatshifting
noc231073 - 9/8/11 at 09:15 PM

My Mk hayabusa ha a cable paddle shift with a flatshift pro
I am just after getting my flatshifter just about set up
When using the clutch it changes gear perfectly
When flat out and clutchless shifting it work fine most of the time but every so often it misses a gear and over revs ...
Any ideas???? Do I just need to keep adjusting flat shift sensor for finer adjustment...
Since it a mechanical linkage what else is stopping it from going into gear
Is it that the engine cut is not coming on quick enough

NigeEss - 9/8/11 at 09:39 PM

I've been riding bikes for 25 years and still miss gears when flat shifting. I reckon it's a quirk
of dogboxes.
Just don't try to re-engage till the revs fall, it's horrid........

james h - 9/8/11 at 09:52 PM

It could even be that the ignition cut is too short. Before that, I would check for slop/flexible linkages.

I missed gears every so often too, and that's without a flatshift. I guess it just happens sometimes.

eddie99 - 9/8/11 at 09:57 PM

I run a flatshifter expert on the race car on the zx10, as it came out of the box, never touched any of the fine adjustments and i maybe miss a gear once every couple of races, not a regular thing by any mean.
I'd contact flatshifter and see what they can do.

noc231073 - 9/8/11 at 11:12 PM

I am just missing a gears little too often for my liking

crafty - 10/8/11 at 02:40 AM

I have just installed a Flatshifter Expert + Max (i.e Paddle Shift)

It wasnt shifting properly, then I realised that actuator arm on the box was a little loose. I tightened everything and it works fine. I guess with a little bit of flex in the joints it was not transferring the force from the solenoid properly.

Perhaps when using a cable shift, if there is any slop in the connections it would lead to ignition-cut timing issues?

Just a thought.

noc231073 - 10/8/11 at 03:46 AM

you might have something there ... I will check the linkages and see if it makes a difference
Thanks

noc231073 - 12/8/11 at 11:23 AM

now sorted... added a lock nut on one of the linkages ... working a dream now
thanks again