Board logo

Diff and speed
Murphy - 17/11/11 at 09:17 PM

I have an R1 engine and 4.4 diff. I have a 3.44 also. What's the differences for power, top end 0-60 torque and so on. I'm new to this but was hoping for a wee starter from the peeps in the know. Cheers , John.

mark chandler - 17/11/11 at 09:27 PM

What tyres, this is key.

First thing, bin the 4.4 for the 3.44, you want max speed just as the engine tops out, a 4.4 it will rev out early and waste first gear

Bare - 17/11/11 at 09:28 PM

Caterham owners who retrofitted Hyabusa engines typically went for 3: 2 or 3:07 (when they could find them) Diff ratios.
4:1 may mean real quick acceleration... to the 60mph top speed :-)

v8kid - 17/11/11 at 09:28 PM

Long diffs for cruisers short diffs for speedsters.

Thats about it I think!

Cheers!

wylliezx9r - 17/11/11 at 09:29 PM

Crikey with a 4.4 diff you'd be topping out at about 90 buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

kevmcdo - 17/11/11 at 09:32 PM

Hi mate
Do a search for gear calculator that should give you a pretty close idea as it takes into consideration tyre sizes too. If can't find it give me a shout and I will email it too you.
If I remember off the top of my head though you should be looking at a top speed change from approx 90mph to around 125mph with a bit more time between the gear changes!!!

adithorp - 17/11/11 at 09:37 PM

There's a gear/speed calculator sticky thread at the top of this section. 4.4 won't work well with an R1 (final drive ratio varies by year) but the 3.44 shouldn't be too bad.

liam.mccaffrey - 17/11/11 at 09:47 PM

bigger numbers in the diff ratio will give a lower top speed for the same engine speed output, but faster acceleration due to increased effective torque at the wheel
smaller numbers in the diff ratio will give a higher top speed for the same engine speed output, but slower acceleration due to reduced effective torque at the wheel

Murphy - 17/11/11 at 09:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kevmcdo
Hi mate
Do a search for gear calculator that should give you a pretty close idea as it takes into consideration tyre sizes too. If can't find it give me a shout and I will email it too you.
If I remember off the top of my head though you should be looking at a top speed change from approx 90mph to around 125mph with a bit more time between the gear changes!!!

Haha. Just text you too. Thanks for all the answers. Seems I will get everything I need on here.

The quick off the mark is great but did a round trip on troweled and needed a wee bit more. Did a ton OK on the 4 but it did buzz away.

Ear plugs- problem solved.