Board logo

PX600 airbox - worth getting one for IVA noise test?
JekRankin - 27/6/12 at 09:02 PM

I've been having a look at air filters, and there's no way I can get the standard R1 airbox under the bonnet of my car, but I think I could prob get one of the Pipercross PX600 boxes in there.

Getting a BEC through IVA with an open sausage filter seems to be a difficult task and I'm begging to think this could be a worthwhile investment for the test. I can always sell it on afterwards if I decide I don't like it. Are they substantially quieter?

Although I expect to fail first time round, I'd like to do make a decent attempt to pass the noise test as there's very little you can do about it on the day!

Jek

spdpug98 - 27/6/12 at 09:06 PM

I would say that they are, I had a sausage filter on my car for my SVA and kept failing on noise, I spent a fortune on acoustic foam and lined the engine bay (still in place) I think I should've just bought the air-box as I am sure it would make a massive difference

will121 - 27/6/12 at 09:22 PM

Can't advise regarding IVA but friend uses one when has issues with drive by noise levels at track days so do reduce induction noise

jeffw - 28/6/12 at 05:32 AM

They certainly do reduce intake noise but they are not very well made and they cost a fortune. Reverie do a series of boxes which are better made but cost big bucks as well.

afj - 28/6/12 at 06:20 AM

Have you tryed putting the std air box on backwards that's how most do it. Not sure with the fury type car.

probablyleon - 28/6/12 at 09:16 AM

Surely there must be enough R1 powered cars out there to justify the design and manufacture of an airbox that is both low profile and could deliver similar performance (bhp, torque and noise) to the standard Yamaha airbox. Sadly I'm not blessed with the skills or knowhow to do it myself but I'd buy one. I'm fairly confident I'm not alone judging by how often R1 airboxes get discussed here.

JekRankin - 28/6/12 at 09:34 AM

I had a look at putting on the OEM airbox back to front, but I'm just a little short on room unfortunately.

Agree that the Pipercross box does seem very expensive for what it is though - it just looks like a small piece of moulded plastic which clips over the baseplate?! Its a shame there isn't a cheaper solution readily available.

I don't suppose anyone have a used one for sale?

Jek

hobbsy - 28/6/12 at 01:09 PM

Andy Bates looked at making some for the R1 (he did one for the early Fireblades).

If enough people got together and asked him to make one I'm sure he would oblige.

Might take a while though as he's a very busy guy.

jeffw - 28/6/12 at 02:08 PM

I have a 2nd hand one but I cut a section off the end.

JekRankin - 28/6/12 at 02:24 PM

I'll probably remove it after IVA so if you think it could still be used to fit on a baseplate fairly easily, I might be interested, Jeff?

Jek

Coopz - 28/6/12 at 04:19 PM

I got an R1 through with a sausage filter no foam or sound deadening , concentrated On repacking + baffling the exhaust and that bought the noise down from around 106 db to pass second time round.