Board logo

Prop catcher?!
teegray19 - 10/1/14 at 06:36 PM

Now then,

Who actually runs with prop catchers? I've finished the engine install of the zed and very happy. I'm now at the safety stage and wonder if prop catchers are a need?

Who's got them who hasn't?

unijacko67 - 10/1/14 at 06:40 PM

Made mine and fitted it last week. It's about in the middle of the prop so if either front or rear joints fail it should help.

Ben_Copeland - 10/1/14 at 06:49 PM

Just finishing off my engine install. Going to fit them at either end incase one end lets go

ReMan - 10/1/14 at 06:53 PM

My job once I get my tunnel and reverse box out for refurb when its a bit warmer

designer - 10/1/14 at 07:08 PM

I only fitted one at the front.

The strength of both UJ's on a prop should be similar, so the front will break first as that is where the power is applied initially.

Ben_Copeland - 10/1/14 at 07:16 PM

The tube lets go sometimes. I've seen them all twisted so just one at the front might not hep

CosKev3 - 10/1/14 at 07:39 PM

I will be making something up during my build.

After seeing the damage/reading the threads on here when they do let go its not nice!

designer - 10/1/14 at 07:55 PM

quote:

The tube lets go sometimes. I've seen them all twisted so just one at the front might not hep

Hi Ben
I know that prop shafts get a 'set', a directional twist, but never a seen one go!

I put mine about 350mm behind the UJ.

Barkalarr - 10/1/14 at 08:00 PM

There was a chap on here who did a video that said "should have installed a prop catcher" - watch that video and see the mess it made, then make the decision.

I'm going to put mine at both ends of the prop - i don't fancy that letting go at speed.

feckn7 - 10/1/14 at 08:46 PM

Here in New Zealand it's compulsory to have a safety hoop on any modified car - and that hoop has to be 50x5 minimum with M10 bolts minimum.
Given that, on a BEC, the drive shaft is longer than in a CEC and that it usually isn't completely straight I've put 3 safety hoops in my car.
One about half way on the short front piece - which is about 200-250mm from either end, one just after the central bearing and one near the rear end.
In my car the drive shaft is very close to my left leg and, at the front, there's only a thin sheet of ally between the shaft and my leg.
Given that I've already lost my right lower leg (long story) I certainly wouldn't want anything to happen to the left one!
If anything lets go in my drive shaft it's not going anywhere near me or any passengers,

David

Ben_Copeland - 10/1/14 at 09:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by designer
quote:

Hi Ben
I know that prop shafts get a 'set', a directional twist, but never a seen one go!

I put mine about 350mm behind the UJ.

Gavin's I believe.

snapper - 10/1/14 at 10:03 PM

I plated the tunnel after seeing a mates prop twisted like Liqurish
They flail around until the back wheels stop turning and will chew through ally sheet like butter

The Huff - 10/1/14 at 10:10 PM

My fury has a 2-part prop i.e. centre bearing and 3 UJs. I've a prop loop in the middle of the longer (rear half) run - the short front one is already contained by frame tubes. Cheap insurance IMO.

HappyFather - 10/1/14 at 11:33 PM

I placed an inverted "U" on the smaller that goes from engine to reverse box. It also has a bolt that prevents the prop from falling and spearing the road. I guess it is safe.
The rear prop, from reverse box to diff, does not have one. I believe the tunel chassis rails of the Aries will be enough to contain a flailing prop, but may consider adding something later on.

rick q - 10/1/14 at 11:39 PM

I've had one let go in the mountains behind Brisbane. The hoops saved me, and having the fuel hydraulics and power running down the tunnel in a steel pipe saved them. Could have been very ugly......

Have a look about half way down this page :- http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=133580&page=2