Board logo

Blade good enough now ?
The Knobs - 13/9/16 at 06:10 PM

Looking at buying a trackday car and a few are running blades, do they cut it against R1s, Busas, zx1400 etc or aim for one of these?

Benzo - 13/9/16 at 06:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The Knobs
Looking at buying a trackday car and a few are running blades, do they cut it against R1s, Busas, zx1400 etc or aim for one of these?

Depends what blade you are talking about. 1000RR seems to do the trick.

The Knobs - 13/9/16 at 06:20 PM

I guess the early/cheap ones.

phelpsa - 13/9/16 at 06:44 PM

There's no replacement for displacement!

daniel mason - 13/9/16 at 07:08 PM

Unless your names Matt Carter

jeffw - 13/9/16 at 07:15 PM

Aero conquers all

bi22le - 13/9/16 at 07:18 PM

Arh, I thought this was about Blade runners at the paralympics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm0YDZIYNJs

twybrow - 13/9/16 at 07:37 PM

quote:

Early blade powered cars can be very lightweight as the lump is so small and light. The Busa and Zx14 are in a different league costwise, and they will be quicker, especially with a passenger in for the ride. But if this is your first BEC, i woukd say dont be put off. It wont harm to hone your skills on a lesser powered car. The driver still makes the biggest difference to lap times.

ReMan - 13/9/16 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
quote:

Early blade powered cars can be very lightweight as the lump is so small and light. The Busa and Zx14 are in a different league costwise, and they will be quicker, especially with a passenger in for the ride. But if this is your first BEC, i woukd say dont be put off. It wont harm to hone your skills on a lesser powered car. The driver still makes the biggest difference to lap times.

+1
Plus if your budget is limited, a new engine is only£300 if it goes bang!

LBMEFM - 13/9/16 at 10:10 PM

I run a early Fireb!ade in my MK Indy and it runs under 50 second laps constantly at Lydden Hill and very few cars can compete with it. For cost v performance I think it's brilliant.

Matt21 - 14/9/16 at 07:28 AM

My MK also has a 919 blade, over a full lap there's not many cars that put faster times in, it struggles on longer straights, but then I think most kits do to some degree.

In the right hands they're still pretty quick. I managed to show a couple of hayabusa mnrs a thing or two at blyton last year.

Very cheap replacement engines too, on average I've paid £300 for a full engine (£250-600)
Next to no electrics on them to go wrong too