Board logo

Middie alternative to Quaife or chain
kreb - 8/7/20 at 11:57 PM

Hello gents. I have no direct experience with BECs. My research would seem to indicate that chain drives are a maintenance headache, and Quaife's are for guys with thicker wallets than I have. Are there any other worthy products out there? Being in the states, I'd considered the Transworks mini-diff, but it would appear they're out of the game.

russbost - 9/7/20 at 07:28 AM

I don't think there's anything available that isn't either chain drive or big bucks, there have been other diff/reverse gear boxes, but all have been in the region of £2k or more IIRC.

Unless you are intending huge mileage or use on sand, very dry/dusty conditions then no reason why a chain diff should be a maintenance headache.

On mine I've added a small tube with rubber leading down to just above the chain, I put a squirt of chain grease down each time I use the car for any distance. I drove 800 miles to Le Mans & back without needing any maintenance other than the above, on my return checked chain adjustment & didn't need any adjustment. Even a chain diff does come to a few bob when you add all thge bits up, particularly if you need to machine a spur gear for reverse, but still loads cheaper than anything else available.

Assuming car is to be lightweight - which I assume it is or bike power isn't really suitable, unless your local regs insist on it I wouldn't bother with reverse - easier to jump out & push back