Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) with automatic choke

Ignition:
Computer-controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping

Transmission:
Five-speed including overdrive, plus electric reverse

Final Drive:
Shaft

Thats the engine and trans from a 2002 Honda Goldwing
I know their owners don't go fast enough to crash very often, but even a mild-ish spill could get into "write off" territory once the GRP has been smashed ?

There's also tuning bits available as it shares an engine with the "Valkyrie" (no GRP).
Reading the specs it could be designed for a light 'kit' type vehicle, I know there must be a reason for not using it, I don't think I've seen anyone at all using it...

If anyone has a link to any sites showing the Goldwing engine in a car I'd be much obliged

Ta all

PS. I've noticed that MK mentions on his site that he's used a Goldwing engine, no info though

PPS. This post is more of a 'cut n paste' job from another catagory on the forum in reply to a boxer engine question, but thought you BEC chaps might have some more info

StuartA - 20/5/03 at 11:28 AM

I would have thought the main reason would be the size. I know bike engines are generally compact but if you have ever seen that engine in a Valkyrie then you will know what I mean. Would have thought the chassis would need some pretty hefty mods to take it... might be an optical illusion though.

ChrisGamlin - 20/5/03 at 01:05 PM

I think a lot of it is the weight, you might as well put a car engine in there if you are thinking of one of those. Also cos its a flat 6, it would need a lot more space in the engine bay and some fancy / expensive exhausts (note the plural!)

Chris

kingr - 20/5/03 at 02:12 PM

Hmmm, is it just my imagination or did Goldwings at one time have V8s in them? They might be good for a look.

Kingr

ChrisGamlin - 20/5/03 at 05:18 PM

Just your imagination Im afraid

kb58 - 21/5/03 at 03:24 PM

I though it was because of the low horsepower, but I don't know how much that is, 100hp or so? They have torque yes, hp, no. Weight is a big deal as said before. At several hundred lbs for 100hp, you could sub a car engine and get more hp/lb.

There was/is a bike with a Chevy 350 in it.. here it is (I've see others too):
http://www.mtv411.com/motorcycle/pictures/boss-hoss/bosshoss.htm

Saw it on a TV show once and it was "over the top." The camera car was driving along-side it at about 45mph when the bike hit the gas. Dang impressive to see nothing but a big long skid mark on the road, which is saying something because they use a Really Wide car tire at the back... Good luck turning the thing though. It was impressive how well that engine fit.

BTW, someone where I work made a V8 bike using the Buick aluminum-block V8. He "discovered" the same thing, that it's hard to turn when you have basically a square-section tire at the back...

[Edited on 21/5/03 by kb58]

ned - 21/5/03 at 03:41 PM

that is completely mad.

GO - 21/5/03 at 03:55 PM

8 second quarter mile!!!!

Scouse Monkey - 21/5/03 at 09:42 PM

Here is a BEC that used a Goldwing (a while ago)- not sure you want one of those though - looks like an old Esprit that got reversed into somwhere very narrow!

Is this one of the 1st BEC kit cars?

Andy