Board logo

Running a ZX9R
mackei23b - 2/10/06 at 10:56 AM

Hi there

I am building an MK Indy with a ZX9R (Pic attached).

I am now contemplating whether to run it with a baffle plate or not? The main use will be road, though I feel that the odd track day will also be done

So, if you have a ZX9R, do you have a baffle plate or not, what sort of use do you use your BEC for (trackdays etc) and have you had any problems.

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Cheers

Ian

[Edited on 2/10/06 by mackei23b] Rescued attachment Chassis 2.JPG
Rescued attachment Chassis 2.JPG

lightspear27 - 2/10/06 at 11:07 AM

Nice helmet ... colour coded with the engine pipes ;-)

mac1ZR - 2/10/06 at 01:03 PM

why not put one in anyway, for the sake of about £30, its not worth the worry!

russbost - 2/10/06 at 01:08 PM

quote:

Nice helmet ... colour coded with the engine pipes

That's just the sort of constructive help you were looking for wasn't it!

Don't know how much help I am to you, I'm running ZX10's which are virtually identical (I believe) to Zx9. I have bog standard engines, no baffling & no problems with surge despite pulling some fairly extreme cornering forces although only in road use. The difference is tho' that mine are the same way round they were in the bikes ie transverse whereas yours will be longitudinal. I seem to remember a previous thread on this where the general consensus was that, unless racing, baffling wasn't required on the ZX9 lump.

Coose - 2/10/06 at 01:11 PM

I don't think you need one for a ZX9.....

ch1ll1 - 2/10/06 at 02:13 PM

I ordered one for mine ( b4 i blew the g/box up)
it was wrong ! so i didnt use one
no oil troubles but like its been said for the sake of £30 why not,
just put one in my blade ( even though you dont need one) best to be safe

[Edited on 2/10/06 by ch1ll1]

Wadders - 2/10/06 at 05:36 PM

If your thinking of doing the odd trackday, then for the sake of a fivers worth of ally, is it worth the risk? you'll need to chop the sump anyway
unless you mount the engine very high in the frame, so while its off you may as well knock up a baffle.

Al

Alistair - 2/10/06 at 07:47 PM

Have run ZX9s in my MK for a while now and not had any problems on track without a baffle. Would definately recommend getting the sump chopped though.
For peace of mind and the sake of £5 you could make one and put it in before you re-fit the sump.
Or you could save the £5 and put it towards a new gearbox.....

mackei23b - 3/10/06 at 08:57 AM

Cheers for the comments, looks like 1 baffle plate comming up for peace of mind.

thanks

Ian