Board logo

BEC - Boat Engined Car
Ivan - 31/1/08 at 05:40 AM

Think this would make a cool motor for a Locost - can't find the power but the specs look right for over 200hp

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/waverunner/products/modelspecs/581/0/specs.aspx

[Edited on 31/1/08 by Ivan]

Richard Quinn - 31/1/08 at 07:02 AM

I was going to suggest that the open loop water cooling may be a problem but with all the rain we're having here at the moment I'm sure it would be possible just to fit a bit of a scoop!

Guinness - 31/1/08 at 07:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
I was going to suggest that the open loop water cooling may be a problem but with all the rain we're having here at the moment I'm sure it would be possible just to fit a bit of a scoop!

Not sure weather to laugh or cry at that one mate!

mackei23b - 31/1/08 at 07:35 AM

Here it is..... Rescued attachment Wave Runner Engine.JPG
Rescued attachment Wave Runner Engine.JPG

locoboy - 31/1/08 at 09:47 AM

Emmissions?

Mate of mine has a jet ski running over 300bhp and it would be an ideal BEC transplant but he said there are no controls for emissions on it and you wouldnt be able to get it to within limits without stuffing up the benefits of 300bhp

bonzoronnie - 31/1/08 at 11:10 AM

I gave this idea some thought a while ago.
Strange really as I dont often have any ideas other than daft ones.

I come from a marine background & have allways marveled at the amount of power obtained from such light compact motors.

I came to the conclusion that in a non marine application. It would be most unlikely to be able to keep this type of engine cool.

Most are designed to have a constant supply of very cold water running through the motor. Collected from its enviroment & discharged along with the exhaust.

Probably need one MF Radiator & headder tank to keep one cool.

Ronnie

[Edited on 31/1/08 by bonzoronnie]

jkarran - 31/1/08 at 11:22 AM

Odd... I'd thought of swapping the other way... bike motor into Jetski.

Would be a ballache to keep it running when the electric string gets salty and I doubt it'd much like being upsidedown when crashed but a a modern 1L bike puts out a lot more power than my weedy 650cc two pot

Cooling would be simple enough... stainless heat exchanger (apparently Koi carp like warm ponds so these are cheap on Ebay!) fed icey cold Irish Sea water.

I'll keep dreaming

[Edited on 31/1/08 by jkarran]

Stuart_B - 31/1/08 at 12:06 PM

This motor is producing 255bhp, now that would be a good starting point.LOL

255hp

mad gaz - 31/1/08 at 12:34 PM

what kind of gearbox would u use

Confused but excited. - 31/1/08 at 02:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bonzoronnie
I gave this idea some thought a while ago.
Strange really as I dont often have any ideas other than daft ones.

I come from a marine background & have allways marveled at the amount of power obtained from such light compact motors.

I came to the conclusion that in a non marine application. It would be most unlikely to be able to keep this type of engine cool.

Most are designed to have a constant supply of very cold water running through the motor. Collected from its enviroment & discharged along with the exhaust.

Probably need one MF Radiator & headder tank to keep one cool.

Ronnie

[Edited on 31/1/08 by bonzoronnie]

Or maybe not.
I remeber a guy in the 60s used a 600 Konig 4 cylinder outboard engine in a Norton frame. Went like poo off a shovel (140mph in the 60s was REALLY quick). Didn't have that big a rad.
I have just been looking at a staight six two-stroke (200bhp), for £300 and idley wondering. Might sound different.

[Edited on 31/1/08 by Confused but excited.]

BenB - 31/1/08 at 03:07 PM

One thing which helps marine engines produce big power outputs is that you can have intercoolers (assuming it's FA) with efficiencies > 100%

IE the intercooler chills the inlet charge to colder than ambient air....

jkarran - 31/1/08 at 03:08 PM

AFAIK converted outboard engines were the weapon of choice for sidecar racing at one time.

rf900rush - 31/1/08 at 06:47 PM

How about a Suzuki 2.7l V6 200hp 2 Stroke.
and B****cks to the enviroment.
I think 1st in production mid 80's
May only need to pass the smoke test ???.
Just need to find a blind MOT tester.

ChrisGamlin - 31/1/08 at 08:28 PM

The R1 engine is/was used in Jetskis as well.

A chap who bought some blade engine bits off me was building a Jetski with a blade engine in, from what I remember they either lock it in one gear and drive it through the box or weld an output direct onto the crank, ditching the alternator drum I presume.

Stuart_B - 31/1/08 at 08:47 PM

I know that they do a 220 efi outboard engine which might be the engine to use in a seven, as it would be easier to set up than a carb outboard.