Board logo

Is using an import MX5 donor more complicated?
gazzarose - 1/2/11 at 10:40 PM

Hi guys,

Im planning on building an MNR using an MX5 as a donor, and had my heart set on a 1.8 with LSD. Looking round on ebay and auto trader, all the UK 1.8s are later on and are still fetching decent money, but imports Eunos roadsters are alot cheaper with the 1.8 available earlier. Is it and more complicated using a import donor instead of a UK car? I want to go for age related so would the dvla get all confused with it being a donor.

Also does any one know what MX5s/Eunos had LSDs. I know there were a few JDM specials aswell that I'll have to keep an eye out for. My plan was to try and get the donor before the summer, use it for a couple of months then rip it to bits, so I need to start looking now.

Thanks

Gareth

daniel mason - 1/2/11 at 10:59 PM

have you tried copart? they generally have them this time of year.lol. possibly a side impact one meaning all bits youll need should be ok.

pdm - 2/2/11 at 08:32 AM

I had this very question a while back and emailed the DVLA about it.

They said that using the V5 for the donor is ok for age related.

BUT - most imports don't have the engine number on the V5 - therefore when you get to IVA/registration you can't prove your engine came from your car with just the V5. They wanted a letter from Mazda stating the engine date.

With a Eunos, Mazda don't hold that data in the UK so they ask the factory - it's £35.

In the end I after a couple of very friendly begging phone calls and a letter, Mazda UK sent me back a letter stating that my engine number was built in May 1992 and that it was first installed in Eunos chassis number blah blah blah which was also built in May 1992.

I went back to DVLA and they said that was fine.

hughpinder - 2/2/11 at 09:31 AM

If you plan to use the rack, check its a RHD.
Regards
Hugh

gazzarose - 2/2/11 at 09:02 PM

Thats good to know thanks, theres loads more imports for cheap money than there are UK cars so should help.

Thanks

Gareth