Board logo

Headrests and IVA
Slimy38 - 18/2/18 at 10:40 AM

It's just occurred to me that I might be lining myself up for an IVA fail. I am using the MX5 donor seats in my car, this type;

But I'm wondering about the fixed head restraint element. Are there specific rules that I need to adhere to, which would make these seats fail? They're pretty solid restraints, but they're not adjustable.

After checking the IVA I can see the only check is the height needs to be 700mm from point R, which itself is 54mm off the seat base. So do I just need to make sure the top of the seat is at least 754mm from the seat?

As a follow up question, if it's not quite 754mm (EG 20-30mm out), would removing some of the seat foam be enough to satisfy the IVA?

907 - 18/2/18 at 12:13 PM

"Tombstones" are designed to be used with a diagonal 3 point seat belt.

For 4, 5 , or 6 pointers you need MX5 seats with the restraints on stalks so the belts run over your shoulders.

I have both types of belt/harness in my MiXi but I also have both types of seat so I can swop for the track if need be.

I have also "foamectomy'd" my seats, but without sitting in them they measure the same.

Paul G

Slimy38 - 18/2/18 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 907
"Tombstones" are designed to be used with a diagonal 3 point seat belt.

I have also "foamectomy'd" my seats, but without sitting in them they measure the same.

Yes I'll be using the 3 point seat belts so that should be ok, and thanks for the foamectomy info. Makes sense that it doesn't change the measurement unless you sit in it.

907 - 18/2/18 at 09:34 PM

An electric carving knife is the tool to use.