sgraber - 4/2/04 at 04:24 AM

This is one cool piece of kit!

Rover BS

Graber

Metal Hippy - 4/2/04 at 04:35 AM

Nice concept and performance...

Shame it's ugly as hell

Geoff011 - 4/2/04 at 06:25 AM

That's actually quite trick. I wonder if Lamborghini got any ideas from it for the Countach (engine/tranny layout)?

ed_crouch - 4/2/04 at 08:18 AM

bodywork inspired by the Porsche 914??
Vice versa!?!?!?!?!?

ed_crouch - 4/2/04 at 08:38 AM

bodywork inspired by the Porsche 914??
Vice versa!?!?!?!?!?

TheGecko - 4/2/04 at 09:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Geoff011
That's actually quite trick. I wonder if Lamborghini got any ideas from it for the Countach (engine/tranny layout)?

A funny thing. Last week sometime, somebody posted a link to a page on the FMC XR311 military prototypes. They were built between 1969 and 1972 and used a Chrysler V8, mid mounted, driving forward to a Torqueflite auto box with a 1:1 chain drive to a centre diff and then propshafts forward and back to double wishbone suspension at each end.

The design was shamelessly copied by M.T.I. when they were contracted to build a military all-terrain vehicle which then became the Lamborghini Cheetah!

Of course, the Countach was already in development by 1969/70 and didn't get 4WD until the '80s. The apparent connection is interesting though The P6BS predates them all I suppose being from, what, early '60s?

An XR311 replica would be an interesting project. Hmmm...tube frame, 4 litre Lexus V8 and auto trans (~$2000 from Jap importers), simple flat panels....... No! Must finish this one first

Dominic