Board logo

Sylva Spectre
zilspeed - 21/3/09 at 12:20 PM

First views of the bodywork- taken from the Sylva mailing list.

Spectre 1
Spectre 1

Spectre 2
Spectre 2

Spectre 3
Spectre 3

Spectre 4
Spectre 4

Spectre 5
Spectre 5

Spectere 6
Spectere 6

Spectre 7
Spectre 7

[Edited on 21/3/09 by zilspeed]

Guinness - 21/3/09 at 12:27 PM

Ohhh nice.

Is this a replacement for the Mojo?

However I'll have to reserve judgement until I see the front and rear clams.

As long as it doesn't look like one of those bloody awful Leader / Stars it'll be OK

Whoops, sorry Zil, didn't see you there!

Cheers

Mike

jeffw - 21/3/09 at 12:29 PM

Want.......

Very nice, looking forward to seeing Jon's version, hopefully at Detling

Guinness - 21/3/09 at 12:31 PM

LOL!!!

"The looks of the car were not to everyones taste, but they did make an alternative to the pisspoor Dutton kits available at the time."

Taken from:-

http://www.spikynorman.dsl.pipex.com/SylvaWWWStuff/Kit.htm

StevieB - 21/3/09 at 12:37 PM

It's bascially a full bodied riot with a similar look to the fury/phoenix.

There's some piccies of what it should look like on the sylva website, though they are somewhat work in progress

zilspeed - 21/3/09 at 01:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
LOL!!!

"The looks of the car were not to everyones taste, but they did make an alternative to the pisspoor Dutton kits available at the time."

I'm not going to argue...

Me being me though, I see the positive as being that I don't have an uncomfortable amount of money tied up in it.
Every time I see a distress sale on here where the ownere needs to get 6-7-8-9 thousand quid back out of their car, I thank my lucky stars for that.

I think I'll be able to get my grand investment back for a bike engined car wearing a 1973 'M' registration.

So there !!

Anyway - the Spectre, I like it so far.

designer - 21/3/09 at 02:06 PM

I had a Star donkey's years ago, AND wouldn't mind another as a run around.

zilspeed - 21/3/09 at 03:33 PM

It's an afficionado's car.....

P.S. What colour / reg was it ?

mr henderson - 21/3/09 at 05:14 PM

quote:
LOL!!!

Seems a bit unfair, as the Dutton was the cheapest kit (by far) available at the time, and was hardly 'piss poor'.

I built an S2 Phaeton and it was quite a decent kit for the money.

John

designer - 22/3/09 at 09:02 AM

Tim Duttons policy with Dutton was 'pile it high and sell it cheap'. Something which has been lost a bit in today's industry.

Dom9 - 23/3/09 at 09:11 AM

I am liking the look of the Spectre A LOT.

Quite fancy having a look at a finished one, when the first one is built.

akrallysport - 27/3/09 at 05:17 AM

Oooooh! I am liking this one! Can't wait to see one done!

iank - 27/3/09 at 06:56 AM

quote:
Ohhh nice.

Is this a replacement for the Mojo?

However I'll have to reserve judgement until I see the front and rear clams.

As long as it doesn't look like one of those bloody awful Leader / Stars it'll be OK

Whoops, sorry Zil, didn't see you there!

Cheers

Mike

Front clam

MikeRJ - 3/4/09 at 11:35 AM

Just noticed this thread, the Spectre looks fabulous. I just hope it isn't reasonably priced otherwise I'd be tempted to get yet another project

zilspeed - 10/4/09 at 08:00 AM

Minor update with front panels now on.
Again courtesy of the Sylva mailing list.

Spectre 8
Spectre 8

Spectre 9
Spectre 9

Keeps the Sylva look I think.

[Edited on 10/4/09 by zilspeed]

iank - 10/4/09 at 10:03 AM

Cross between a fury and a porsche 550.

Oh to have the money and the space.

Dom9 - 17/4/09 at 09:26 AM

Loving it!

Very Lotus 23!

Anyone know the pricing on a complete kit yet?

I fancy one of these with a 2l VTEC for maximum silliness!

martinq357 - 23/4/09 at 08:48 AM

OMG! I just had an accident....

The Love child of a Porsche 550 spyder and a Sylva Pheonix..... it's a stunner!

JP for Prime Minister!!

[Edited on 23/4/09 by martinq357]

Ivan - 24/4/09 at 09:13 AM

Oh yes please - now I will have to finish the Locost so I can sell it and make room for this.

And maybe sell the Cobra too I never thought I would say that - Damn you Mr Phillips )

But wait - I was hoping to talk Fred into a body and chassis when he reached that stage

Oh well maybe in a years time I can make up my mind.

[Edited on 24/4/09 by Ivan]

Guinness - 24/4/09 at 04:30 PM

WANT!!!!!!!

Guinness - 15/9/09 at 08:10 PM

Oh god.

Soooooooo nice!

Mike

Sven - 16/9/09 at 08:15 PM

That's so hot. I want one. I wonder if JP designed it with components I can get here (like a Ford Focus) and if he'd sell me one. A 2L Zetec would be a kick in the pants.

jeffw - 16/9/09 at 09:19 PM

I understand that someone in California has been across to see the Spectre and has placed an order so certainly Spectre Cars (Jon Reagan) or Sylva will sell you one.

Chet - 18/9/09 at 02:54 PM

Please help -
I'm interested in hearing opinions on what body / frame colors would work best on the Spectre.

Jeremy's bright red body does look great.

Thanks
Chet

CraigJ - 18/9/09 at 03:22 PM

That looks fantastic.

jeffw - 18/9/09 at 04:32 PM

Certainly the red is very nice, Jon Regans is green with yellow strip & rollbar which is also nice... http://www.spectresportscars.co.uk

There are two others being built that I know off, the build diary at JPSC for a yellow one http://www.forum.jpsc.org.uk and Tim Hovered's race car http://www.hoverd.org/Tim/

[Edited on 18/9/09 by jeffw]

Chet - 30/9/09 at 03:11 AM

Now add a 194 HP stock 2009 Hayabusa engine.

Chet

[Edited on 30/9/09 by Chet]

Sven - 1/10/09 at 07:25 AM

Galek Motorsports is going to be a dealer for the Spectre in the US. Their website is pants at the moment, but Chuck Galek is promising something better.

It's a shame a lot of the running gear is Fiesta based, which we can't get easily in the US. I do have family in England though, and a brother in law that owes me.

-Steve

Chet - 1/10/09 at 03:11 PM

Steve -
My revised website should be up on 10/4.

Please note that Jeremy has completely resolved the donor parts question by developing new parts that also provide better handling.

I believe that Jeremy has designed an amazing car !!!

Chet

Sven - 1/10/09 at 05:10 PM

Chet,

That wasn't a criticism, just so you know

That's all great news. I'm addicted to the shape and I know JP designs great cars. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to learning more.

-Steve

bimbleuk - 2/10/09 at 08:28 AM

Hmm I'm almost sold on one of those now. My Striker is just too complicated and heavy now after my previous engine projects (plenty of power though to offset it).

I fancy a return to a lighter more basic setup. I would put a bike engine in it as I've never driven a BEC before even though I helped to run a Radical for two seasons of racing.

[Edited on 2-10-09 by bimbleuk]

jeffw - 5/10/09 at 05:49 PM

Latest picture of JPs Spectre

Sven - 5/10/09 at 06:14 PM

So hot!

I am dying to hear more about how I can build one based on components available in the US.

I can almost anticipate the "WTF is that" questions from the locals ...

-Steve

kennyrayandersen - 6/10/09 at 06:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sven
So hot!
I am dying to hear more about how I can build one based on components available in the US.
I can almost anticipate the "WTF is that" questions from the locals ...
-Steve

I’ve been in touch with the US rep, who is working on getting it set up for a US donor. I said that I was interested in a V-tec (if I went this way rather than a 7) – “why go with a Ford, when you can have a Honda?” I always say! The later model B16B type R Hondas are good for 185 HP (9000 redline) and the B18C type Rs are good for 210 (8700 redline), which I think either should be sufficient, no? They run $3600, and $4400 respectively at one site I looked at, or you could go with non-type R engines, slightly down on HP, but a bit more reasonably priced like a B16A G2 (’92-’95) for $2200 with 170 HP and (7800 redline). Or if you are willing to slum it at 145-150 HP you could be under $1K ($650-$950).

Of course you could go with a H20 or H22 series, but what’s the point – it’s not like you need a lot of torque when your weight is less than 1200 Lb.
http://www.japanmotorimport.com/JDM_engines/Honda -- not saying they’re the cheapest, but they got some nice pictures.

IMO, it would be a tough call which one to go with.

Sven - 6/10/09 at 06:54 AM

Or the Toyota 20V with 160hp and a tough transmission for $800 which sounds like the deal of the century next to those over-priced Honda motors. But whatever floats your floating thing ...

Home made motor mounts, custom drive shafts and probably some moving some stuff around.

I'm a lot less concerned with the motor as I am the uprights, brakes and other parts. Later model Fiestas are like hens teeth in the US (and Australia I understand) with zero aftermarket. Focus and Civic parts are available in probably every junkyard in the world and tons of support.

It seems to make good business sense, not to mention it's cheaper and easier for me to source and build it ...

-Steve

[Edited on 10/6/2009 by Sven]

jeffw - 6/10/09 at 07:26 AM

Could you not get someone to source the Fiesta parts you need from the UK ? As to business sense....very few of these cars will be built in US or Australia in comparison to the UK (i would guess less than 5% of the total number) so JP has gone with what is available in the UK. Not that many Civics in scrapyards in the UK.

Did I mention that I have sat in Jon Regan's green Spectre ? Which is almost ready for IVA and has a working engine ...made brumm brumm noises. The interesting thing is that it is not much wider than my Phoenix for the driver and the top of the side screen comes to the same height as the bodywork of the Phoenix.

[Edited on 6/10/09 by jeffw]

kennyrayandersen - 6/10/09 at 01:34 PM

The Honda might be marginally more expensive -- I saw a Toyota long block only for $825, but generally engine and tranny were in the $1350 range. 170 HP Honda was $1700 from the same vendor -- a bit more, but +10 HP. That $350 bucks will be pocket change over the whole project. The engines I posted were very late model higher HP versions that it generally takes big bucks to get out of a NA Toyota engine. You CAN get 185 HP out of a 4AGE, but I think it ain't cheap either. And if you want 200-210 HP, your either really have to spend a bunch, or get a turbo.

probably a bit better deal HP wise is the Toyota 3s-GTEs which are good for maybe 240+, but then you have to hassle with all of the turbo nonsense, and they tend to be quite a bit peakier which for a really light car like this may not be that great of a deal. Plus I believe that the3S-GTEs are a fair amount heavier (and larger) than the 4AGEs . Toyotas also tend to be pretty optimistic on the HP numbers (from what I gather).

It depends on what you want. I've owned both Toyotas and Hondas and IMO the Hondas rev smoother, last longer, and are just better made. Still, the Toyotas aren't too shabby and I think either would work fine. Certainly either would be easier to get than a Rover or Euro Ford.

The UK really does have a much better kit market than the US. Here, it's either Cobra, or well there's always a Cobra... The UK kits could, sell over here, but the logistics of running down Euro-only donors puts a huge damper on things. If you are going to sell it over here (and it is a big market) then the donor should be available here. That's frankly one of the things that holding me back a bit on a 7. I like the originals, but the required donor parts are hard (not impossible) to find, which means generally having to import a bunch of stuff and pay shipping etc. on it. I figure it drives up the price of a kit 30-80% depending on the kit and the donor. Another completely different kit I like is the Pembleton (Guzzi-powered), but it would cost nearly twice as much to build it stateside as it does in the UK.

UK kit car companies need to be thinking licensing and hooking up with Americans that can do a conversion (if it hasn't been done already) to a domestic donor (which looks like is what is happening with the Spectre which is good news as far as I can tell).

kennyrayandersen - 20/10/09 at 02:10 PM

Evidently, it can't be called Spectre anymore -- I think Jeremy is looking for a new name -- lots of them over here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=30&t=760205&mid=0&nmt=Sylva%20Spectre

I tried to sign up for the Jeremy Philips car board, but was unable -- if someone wants to give them a pointer, we're fans of the car and are just trying to help if you could pass it on (also I'd like to find some way of signing up over there if some one know how to get through the automated approval (or disapproval, as it were) process, I'd appreciate it.)