Board logo

Locost inspired middy ideas
akumabito - 10/2/12 at 09:44 PM

Hi all!

I'm trying to figure out the simplest and most cost-effective way of building a mid engined car. Are there any problems to be expected when building a chassis in three different segments, then bolting or welding them together afterwards?

I was thinking about modifying book/McSorley plans - build the cockpit area, skip the engine compartment, build the front suspension bit and mount it to the frame. Then fabricate a subframe for the rear to fit the engine and transmission from a FWD car.

Are there any serious problems to be expected when constructing a vehicle this way?

designer - 10/2/12 at 10:14 PM

As long as the joints are solid and well located, there should be no problem. Does add weight tho'.

MakeEverything - 10/2/12 at 10:17 PM

I would take the front subframe and engine from a mondeo ST and build from that.

akumabito - 10/2/12 at 10:21 PM

Well, it's going to be for fun and on a tight budget.. No big HP figures here.. Donor vehicle would probably be a Fiat or maybe an Alfa if I can get parts cheaply enough..

MakeEverything - 10/2/12 at 10:28 PM

ok then....

I would take the front subframe and engine from an Alfa and build from that.

JC - 10/2/12 at 11:15 PM

There was a chap in PPC that did something similar - think he had a longitudinal Renault engine! I used Locost front suspension but then my own stuff after that - used Locost dimensions for the cockpit though.

You could always use a Rover Metro front subframe. Oh hang on, that'd make it an MGF then....! (or a GTM)

kb58 - 11/2/12 at 01:46 AM

Check out Midlana

akumabito - 11/2/12 at 08:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kb58
Check out Midlana

Ooohhh, that looks pretty much exactly like what I had in mind.. Nice project! IS it also more-or-less based on the locost, or did you design the entire chassis from scratch?

[Edited on 11/2/12 by akumabito]

MakeEverything - 11/2/12 at 09:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JC
There was a chap in PPC that did something similar - think he had a longitudinal Renault engine! I used Locost front suspension but then my own stuff after that - used Locost dimensions for the cockpit though.

You could always use a Rover Metro front subframe. Oh hang on, that'd make it an MGF then....! (or a GTM)

Mine is the same, longitudinal Renault engine and transmission.

JoelP - 11/2/12 at 10:30 AM

The easiest way to make a mid engined locost is to put a bike engine in the passanger seat, and minimilise the old engine bay to just support the front wheels. You would admittedly only have one seat though.

kb58 - 11/2/12 at 06:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
Ooohhh, that looks pretty much exactly like what I had in mind.. Nice project! IS it also more-or-less based on the locost, or did you design the entire chassis from scratch?

It's from scratch but designed based on the Lotus Seven layout, a low-profile Locost nose, and moves the seating forward just enough to fit the drivetrain in the rear. Check out my website and forum for more info.

[Edited on 2/11/12 by kb58]